Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Sun Sep 08, 2024 5:49 am
banner ad

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:47 pm 
QUINTEFISHING HALL OF FAME MEMBER

OK all you Hard Core Fishers (and you know who you are) Here's the launch ramp scene as we saw it today.

Laker John & I hit the first stop on the circuit - Finkles Park in Bath.

Looks like a piece of cake getting on the water here.

Here's a shot from the water side

Travelling along 133 to the ferry, we could see frazil ice in lines off the shore, formed by the winds (they were blowing pretty good today), but the water is open westward past the ferry to almost Q4. The ramp however is TOAST!!!!!!!

For the die-hards, we circled via Hay Bay South and hit the ramp at the Old Church. I wouldn't trust the ice of there until we had a bunch of days, way below 0 degs C.

There were patches of open water ALL over Hay Bay from the junction at Long Reach all the way to the far east end.

BE CAREFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The weather predictions for the next week indicate only one day - Thursday as the day....................................

Stay Tuned..

David aka Superdad

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:23 pm 
Walleye Angler

Hi Superdad, thanks for the launch update, jan really!!!!!! i read your previous post (first week of jan). i noticed you were in a tin with i believe to be a 15 merc. my question however is how long did it take you to get from the finkles launch to the ferry in the small tin?
cheers

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:06 pm 
Walleye Angler

So are you heading out in open water from Finkles?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:21 pm 
QUINTEFISHING HALL OF FAME MEMBER

The tinny has a 15HP and we took 30 mins or so, wasn't watching the clock too closely.

If the winds are right on Thursday, we're fishing.

David aka Superdad

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:31 pm 
Walleye Angler

thanks superdad for the reply, that not too bad i thought it would take a lot longer i have a 15ft with a 25hp.so no reason i could not get there if winds permit it.
cheers

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:07 pm 
Walleye

That's great Superdad thanks for update.

Stay tuned ;)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:56 pm 
Jumbo Perch

Hi Superdad! Thanks for the update,is the ice clear enough to reach any fishing grounds?Looking to drive down Thursday for the day,if there's no threat of ice being blown into the launch.Any update info would be appreciated.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:59 pm 
Jumbo Perch

BTW,forgot to ask will you be out there?It would be nice to see another softwater hardhead.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:49 pm 
Walleye

Damn I wish I hadn't put the boat away. Does the water out from Finkles stay open all winter (has it ever), or is it usually frozen over by now. I remember fishing from the Finkles ramp in January in past years, but thought that was just a fluke.

If you are looking at running a 15 ft aluminum from Bath to the Ferry, watch out for a strong south wind, you will not be able to cross the gap. I have done it in an 18 ft fiberglass and it can get ugly and unsafe.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:04 pm 
Walleye

hi superdad and hal
We have fished for finkles many times -17 ft starcraft -will be slow return with south winds -drive on or waders to recover boat in pm.
don -e bait and bill

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:07 pm 
Walleye

Did you get out this year Bill? I remember meeting you at the Finkles ramp twice in January, 3 or 4 years back. Are you planning another trip this year still? Fishing looked to be better this year out east of the Ferry in January.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:16 pm 
Walleye

Hal
last was dec 14, winds and xmas so now looking at tomorrow with don and maybe george.
will post results on return
bill

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:20 pm 
Walleye Angler

hal-markham wrote:
Damn I wish I hadn't put the boat away. Does the water out from Finkles stay open all winter (has it ever), or is it usually frozen over by now. I remember fishing from the Finkles ramp in January in past years, but thought that was just a fluke.

If you are looking at running a 15 ft aluminum from Bath to the Ferry, watch out for a strong south wind, you will not be able to cross the gap. I have done it in an 18 ft fiberglass and it can get ugly and unsafe.

thanks I apreciate it and this is exactly my concern, the winds can be brutal on the gap similiar to trying to get back into picton bay. going out is easy coming back not so much.long range forecast above o after the friday front.i am going to wait to see if the launch at the ferry clears.that being said if i knew others were going tomorrow probably woiuld have gone. I would feel safer in a boat in the 3rd. week of jan. with others also on the water.
cheers

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:29 pm 
Walleye

Hal, Superdad
Sorry we had to defer tomorrow so wont be out. hopefully some will get out -we had some great days in Jan with lots of big big preg... ladies pushing 15. Kit and boat are ready! -ice back almost to lt house from sat shots. Gap is at 33.9f -still warm for this time of year.
oh well, sleep in to 0600 tomorrow! Pray for one more shot!
bill+don

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:32 pm 
Guppy

Hey superdad
Another option for a tinny may be the Deseronto launch close to the bridge. I drove down there tonight and if you can get the trailer between the dock and the pier you could fish from Foresters Is. up past Telegraph narrows. It`s all wide open. I am sure my small boat will fit but if it stays that way `til Sunday I may see if I can wedge the Smokercraft in there for an afternoopn troll

banner ad