Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:27 am
banner ad

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: CHAPLEAU FISHING REPORT
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:26 pm 
Walleye

Best fishing trip I have ever been on...But this isnt your typical lodge where you arrive and fish that lake only although you could do that we chose to try other lakes,which meant we had 2 boats on a trailer which they setup for you,you need to load up your truck with all your stuff and unload it,some lakes have boats chained up there waiting for you some dont so many lakes you can go to and so many options but we decided to do the extra work of loading/unloading and try other lakes and we have no regrets

I have been to martin river 2X + sudbury + temagami + all kawartha lakes/quinte if yu wanna count that too and none compare to chapleau which they shouldnt.
We did NOT even try missinabi which is the "best" lake up there and reasonably close just over 60 mins away I think,the lodge owners and locals will tell you you can catch over 100 eyes a day p/p easy but we caught plenty where we were and ate fish 2X a day and were quite happy fishing lakes where we also were the only boat on entire lake...matter of fact the most boats we saw were 3 at one time on same water as us,very remote back road lakes surrounded by nothing but nature..perfect!! oh yea and only 2 snags all week long thats it
Four of us stayed at moosehorn lodge,spotless facilities ,good people,good service and not busy because its really not that big so your not over crowded. Most of it is 3 yrs old and includes a games room with pool table and fooseball game,darts,movie room,treadmill and flat screen tv,we played pool once cuz it rained one day for 3-4 hrs. Oh yea also a hot tub which we use few times at night watching the clear sky full of stars.
There lake is small,less than a mile long and about 1/2 mile wide,they have pickerel and pike in it,we only fished it once opening night we arrived,landed 3 nice eyes (about 14-16 inches each) and 7-8 pike about 2-3 pounds each,also lost 3-4 more that night. Next day we tried a bigger lake only 10 mins up the road,very windy day and sunny/hot...caught 4 eyes only,2 perch(only perch all week) and bunch of pike again..biggest eye was just over 4 pounds

Now up there they use white twister tipped with minnows mostly but also worms so we tried it there way first 2 days,then tried a different lake and switched to our usual colours around here we have luck on that being orange spinners/perch rapalas(J7) with orange bellies etc...and we did very well getting our limit of 16 total keepers and losing/releasing I dunno 10-15 more each day along with lots of pike each day although none very big all about 3 pound range but all day long. We returned to this lake next day and again same results,we found a weed bed and every time we passed by we would get a hit and/or a fish (2 boats with 2 in each)...next day tried a trout lake ,talking about in the middle of now where wow...although only 15 min away from lodge we drove down a very narrow bushy dirt road to this pond not much bigger than millbrook dead center in middle of a forest...where every misquito lived I think lol anyhow not even a bite in few hrs so returned to lodge,had lunch and went back to another lake. This lake was about 45 mins away and awesome,we once again limited out and missed some and the eyes were all almost always about 15-17 inches,I found a great weed bed and landed 2 nice 3+ pound eyes that first day. Returned next day same thing again,2 boats caught about 20-25 pickerel Im guessing in about 4-5 hrs

Tried another trout pond again next day and even though we caught about 9 they were all small so we were done with them and targeted pickerel lakes again and once again got another 20-25 in 4-5 hrs out and missed a few and released a few and caught some pike as well . One day I tried about 6-7 lures from purple to green to orange to yellow and caught pics on all of them ,didnt matter what we used we had bites and fish on whatever we tried

Even though we didnt get 100 a day like you can on missinabi we caught enough consistently to be kept busy,have fish for meals,and all this while really only fishing 5-6 hrs a day on avg due to some rain one day mainly and windy days but Id say 5 of the 7 days were overcast which also kept us cool. Rough count is 130 eyes and 150+ pike and 2 perch...saw tons of bunnies/partridge/one moose/ one lynx/one fox but zero bears although one entered our camp early one morning the lodge dogs scared him off before we could see him

sure I forgot some thing but all in all it was a good trip at a good price with great lodge and about 8 hr drive to chapleau and sultan road wasnt that bad hardly seen any cars/trucks on it although it is dusty!!

will post some pics hope they work

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:12 pm 
Walleye Angler

Great story, great fish, great trip and great friends. What a perfect week.
Donn.

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:34 am 
Walleye Wisdom

Great report!! I have not been to missinaibi in a few years now, but this definatly makes me wanna go back up!! Good job!

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:39 am 
Walleye

few more pics

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

banner ad
 Post subject: CHAPLEAU FISHING REPORT
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:10 pm 
Walleye Angler

Looks awesome !!!!

If you don't mind me asking, what are the rates for a place like that?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:28 am 
Walleye

all rates are posted on the web page here
http://www.moosehorn.net/ontariofishingcamp.htm

but I can tell you the 4 of us paid $310 each for the week that included a boat/motor/all gas/all bait,swivel seats in each boat + a fish finder + net...all you need is your rod/reel and a stringer thats it!!
a great package..we stayed in a motel unit which was fine,clean,spacious,good water pressure and hot water and a small kitchen in it,their cabins are almost brand new (3 yrs old I think) and a bit more but were booked up...I was in one though and they are real real nice and big!!

banner ad
banner ad