Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
 Post subject: The Future of Picton Bay
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:05 am 
Minnow

I spend my weekends either shore fishing, ice fishing or trolling the waters of Picton Bay. On Saturday, while casting off the dock at sunrise, I watched over 30 boats pass by in less than an hour. I also found the attached letter in my mailbox and thought I should post it on this forum for those of you who travel to Picton Bay on weekends to enjoy some great walleye fishing like I do.
I am sure many of you have noticed the ongoing changes at the Picton Terminals, well here is the long term plan for the facility.
You be the judge.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:11 am 
Walleye Master

Can't seem to open it on my phone. Can you take a picture of it and post it?

https://kingstonsportfishing.ca/

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:37 pm 
Walleye Angler

HERE IS THE COMPANIES WEBSITE IF ANY ONE WANTS MORE INFO ABOUT THEIR OPERATION..............http://www.pictonterminals.ca/ptthismonth.html

As for 30 boats.....fishing boats?......big time of the year....much higher in the spring in certain areas....

Think that notice mentioned two additional jobs....any expantion or revitalization of that site would be more than that, would it not? (possible construction workers,or contractors,drivers,terminal staffing + additional ships crew, ect ect)

Don't really have a stance(yet) one way or the other...just some thoughts..... after a quick reading of the notice

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:39 pm 
Walleye Master

Thanks for sharing.

https://kingstonsportfishing.ca/

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:28 pm 
Minnow

http://www.intelligencer.ca/2017/03/25/ ... ear-picton

The only vessel to visit the port in the last 6 months seems to have sunk! Yes, it is only a barge...no engine...but what was actually on that barge?

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:39 pm 
Minnow

https://www.facebook.com/groups/SavePictonBay/

If you would like to keep tabs on this issue please have a look at the link posted above.

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:06 pm 
Walleye Angler

I'm working on a story right now but from what I understand there was two 5 gallon containers on the deck. This barge was intended to serve as a temporary dock at Amherst Island for aggregate material.

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:21 pm 
Walleye

And now a Boil Water Advisory for the PEC due to leakage from this barge. The plot thickens....

"(B)e wary of discarding the ancient system where we all have the right to make our own decisions for one in which we all have the right to make each others, in the hope of finding true human fulfillment through “positive” rights to other people’s money and applause?"

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:19 pm 
Walleye Master

its a crock of *** yes any spill is bad but put an OZ of gas in the water and watch what happens........ the currents are flowing away from the water intake not to it.......... gas and oil are on the surface. the water drawn into the water treatment plant is 20 below the surface.......... think about all the salt from the streets that flush into storm drains and run into the bay........ think of all the oil from the streets running into the same storm drains......... think about all the septic systems all along the bay of quinte that also make there way into the bay.....think of all the boats that motor right past the water intake all spring, summer, and fall ...think about the sewage treatment plant dumping treated sewage directly upstream above the water intake ... think think think........ none of it is good but can we hang 100 years of careless pollution on one old barge and a 5 gallon pail of fuel oil ? ......... and keep in mind we are talking about a state of the art water treatment plant that is pulling in lake Ontario water and making it drinkable or at least they say its drinkable.......... now they wanna send out alarms and say they cant filter the water well enough??? there is a lot of people trying to make a mountain out mole hill.

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:06 pm 
Minnow

https://player.vimeo.com/video/210795085
Great Video clip, call Kevin and ask him if he thinks people are "making a mountain out of a molehill". Picton Terminals want to bring 100 large ships in per shipping season.

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:52 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Should of cleaned it up before while it was calm.
Going to be tougher with 50k winds

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:10 am 
Walleye Wisdom

Grizzly when it comes to our Natural resources, nothing can be taken lightly. First it was reported there was nothing to be concerned with and there were reports of nothing leaking. Then there's reports of
2-30 gallon jugs leaking. Now the hole bay has a sheen on it, boil water advisory in place, and you say there was only a 5 gallon jug dumped. I'm sorry but our natural resources deserve a little more respect than just putting our hands up and saying people are making a mountain out of a mole hill. This will be investigated to the fullest extent and charges will be laid I'm sure. Think of the fish coming into the shallows to spawn in the next few weeks, hopefully it's cleaned up by then!

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:29 pm 
Walleye Master

pickerel killer wrote:
Grizzly when it comes to our Natural resources, nothing can be taken lightly. First it was reported there was nothing to be concerned with and there were reports of nothing leaking. Then there's reports of
2-30 gallon jugs leaking. Now the hole bay has a sheen on it, boil water advisory in place, and you say there was only a 5 gallon jug dumped. I'm sorry but our natural resources deserve a little more respect than just putting our hands up and saying people are making a mountain out of a mole hill. This will be investigated to the fullest extent and charges will be laid I'm sure. Think of the fish coming into the shallows to spawn in the next few weeks, hopefully it's cleaned up by then!

hey don't get me wrong bud I am far from being Pro Pollution lol ...... all I'm saying is many mistakes are being made, and have been made and they want to make it sound worse than it actually is in the big picture of pollution. we are talking a 50 years old flat barge it has no power plant. it has old sealed gas tanks that are mostly empty good thing because that's why it is keeping the dam thing afloat nothing spilling from that area.
MOE is there watching them pump out the bilge trying to make the sucker float. guess where they are pumping the bilge??? yep, right into the bay.......... Ive seen video footage..... in the water? not in tanks being hauled away dirty old bildge water, that's nuts and MOE is right there, now its the whole bay????? next they will say its polluted lake Ontario . any pollution is bad......... many people are against this terminal way before this little platform barge sank and now they are trying to roast them like they brought in the Exon Valdese..........

Here is a thing to think about. boiling water will kill bacteria and it will do nothing for gas, fuel oil lol you just have hot gas smelly water it don't make it drinkable lol

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:41 pm 
Walleye Angler

The boil water advisory is precautionary measure. They shut down the intake pipe so they don't suck up any of the slick and get petroleum in the filters or rubber gaskets at the plant. How much would that cost to fix? Treated water is being trucked in and pumped into the resivoire but the County can't say that a hose didn't touch the ground somewhere in between. This is a big f-ing deal and I really, really wish people would stop downplaying it. Google Walkerton and get a clue.

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:04 pm 
Walleye Angler

This was Wednesday.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

banner ad
banner ad