banner ad

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Sat Jun 29, 2024 2:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Long Lake ice-fishing
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:50 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

I may be heading to a buddies cottage on Long Lake, north of Kingston, to do some ice-fishing.

Although most of the info. is about the Quinte, I know there's a lot of knowledge of other lakes on this forum. Anyone know anything about this lake.

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:33 am 
Walleye

I haven't fished it in quite a few years. We have a cottage on Eagle Lake which is close by. In years past though I have fished Long Lake both winter and summer. It's a relatively shallow lake. I think about 40 ft would be the deepest. It has walleyes, pike, smallmouth, and several types of panfish including perch. I can't recall if I ever caught largemouth. It also has ling, which I have caught through the ice, there several times. Most of my fishing was done off points and drop offs near shore and off islands. There are probably 4 or 5 islands on the lake as I recall. There is also a mid lake shoal and surrounding weedbed that I use to have good luck around. In summer the shoal is marked with markers that the locals put out. As I recall, there use to be a stake driven into the rocks in the middle of this shoal which remained there through the winter, so you could find the shoal easily even ice fishing. I'm not sure if that would still be there or not. I recall an article year ago where a kid caught a huge walleye through the ice on Long Lake. As I recall the fish was in the 13 lb range. While fish that size are fairly common in Quinte, they are almost unheard of in these inland lakes. The walleye I use to catch there average 1.5 - 2lb

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:59 am 
Walleye Wisdom

Thanks for the information, Bowhunter.

I'm heading out tomorrow afternoon. I never have much luck ice fishing....only caught a few thru the ice over the years, but always like to get out.

I'll look out for those markers. :D

cheers

banner ad
banner ad