Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Wed Jun 26, 2024 9:10 am
banner ad

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
 Post subject: the last 4 days
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 7:41 am 
Guppy

We came up to Picton and stayed at Merlins. Everyone that works there said how great the fishing was this year. Well the place was sold out for the holiday and there was less then 12 fish caught there for 50 guys in 4 days. We fished from Picton past Mcfarland boat launch to the Ferry. Shermans point, Mohawk bay up to the river and behind the island. We even fished the narrows all the wat down to in front of Fosters on the north shore, where we got our only Walleye, a monster, it would have crowded 1 1/2 pounds if I left the weeds on it!!! Thanks everyone for the info and the help, but sorry to say this will be our last trip to Quinte. 16 guys have been coming up for 16 years and I have decided I can catch all the bass and perch I want here in Syracuse. Going back to Quebec even though they dont like us. Quinte has skunked me for the last time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 9:10 am 
Walleye

To the guys from Syracuse N.Y. Sorry to here you got skunked again.Thats fishing in the BOQ sometimes they are jumping in the boat and somtimes they will not bite because of too many bait fish or sometimes it is just because of a cold front.I was in the Bay opening weekend and this was the best trip I had ever taken the fish were just about jumping in the boat this was the same for most of the boats near by .This is my sixth time to the Bay I have been skunked before sometimes as much as 4 days not even a perch.When the fish turn on the bay you will catch them.I got my first double digit in November.This is Really a great place to go you just have to be there at the right time.I hope you guys come back all the locals and fisherman have always been welcoming and friendly. I would have to drive 8 hours to northern Quebec to catch a double digit Walleye and it is only 4 hours from Montreal. There are many friendly people in Quebec you guys just met the wrong ones.See you next year.Mike the Pike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 9:25 am 
Walleye

Too bad about your fishing trip. I know how frustrating the fishing can be in the BOQ. I live about 2 hours away and have been skunked many times. Fishing the bay truly is a hit and miss proposition. No matter where I go I would not rely on resort operators to give an accurate portrayal of what the fishing is like. The most valuable information you could ask a resort operator is "where are the water hazzards". As far as fishing in Quebec goes, I agree that there are much better fishing locations around the USA-Canada border than in Ontario. The resort you stayed at would not allow me to launch my boat for the day, according to them I had to be renting a cabin to do so. Not very accomadating.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 1:19 pm 
Walleye Angler

I agree, fishing is fishing, timing is not always right. Three of us were there over Mother's Day weekend, no problem catching a few to eat, a limit to take home, and many others released.

Right bait, right speed, right location and.... right weather. Just ask the guys who fished out of Henderson Harbor this past weekend for the Cabelas Master Walley Circuit, 67 boats, pounded by rain, wind and waves for two days, 31 teams out of 67 caught fish. And these are guys that do it all the time. No locals caught fish, well maybe one team. For a place that the norm is 8 pounds and bigger, the average size for the winning team was around 3 pounds, and this team had 5 fish both days, i do not believe anyone else caught more than two fish per day and most were just single fish or none at all. So, to blame it on the Quinte fishery for not catching fish, just not true, they are there, but ....are you always hungry?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 2:59 pm 
Walleye Angler

Getting out, enjoying nature. Catching them is a bonus. I keep that way of thinking and never come home disappointed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 3:31 pm 
Walleye Angler

that's a great way to look at it shawn, every trip is great that way, I put the fly rod down when I was trout fishing on the weekend to capture a woodpecker hammering away on a tree on my digital camera, never got to see that before. trip was a plus since I caught my first brown of the year.

Post subject: Quinte
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 6:19 pm 
Walleye Catcher

Early season fishing no matter where you are can be hit or miss. As some one metioned earlier and i agree when they are on you can fill the boat. If they are off the only thing that will work is a C.I.L. wabbler!
Fishing the quinte area is great because of the diversity of species. If the walleye aren't biting try another type of fish! If you were in a traffic jam on a highway that was backed up for miles wouldn't you get off a nd try another route?
If I were targetting a time to visit quinte for great results I would look at the middle of june through July. However no day is a guaranty no matter where you are....Larry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 6:58 pm 
Walleye Angler

shawn_303 wrote...
Quote:
Getting out, enjoying nature. Catching them is a bonus. I keep that way of thinking and never come home disappointed.

For sure!! Better advice you'll not find.

Good for you hoser on getting the brown!!