Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:57 am
banner ad

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: G2 owners
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:11 am 
Walleye Catcher

We have all heard the news of BRP exiting the G2 space. I myself have considered exiting G2, mulling over an engine swap. My feeling is parts will eventually become scarce, oil may go up in price or be harder to get, price gouging on oil due to limited stock, only 1 shop around that can service them..etc

I am considering this move before things get harder to come by including parts. I know BRP has committed to honoring their warranty and parts, but just can't help wondering how thin these parts / fluids will get as time goes on.

Has anyone else considered an engine swap? if so why / why not ?

Post subject: G2 Owner
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:08 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

I am also a G2 owner with 8 years of warranty left. I can only hope that BRP continues to provide parts and service. i use Bay Marine who has many marine technicians trained in BRP G2 engine service. I hope to rely on them as long as I can. I don't care to sell the 2 year old G2 at a big discount that many would demand. I may be forced to switch to another motor if BRP does not follow through with their promise. But for now I am just going to keep up on required maintenance and hope the engine lasts a normal life. Good Luck with your motor. We may need it. BATMAN

banner ad
 Post subject: Re: G2 owners
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:53 pm 
Walleye Catcher

I’m with you. 100%. The trick question is who. Now. I would really love to put a SHO on the back of my boat and what I am told and hear is they are basically bullet proof but if something goes wrong with it. Your looking at probably 30% more for a part to fix than say for evinrude or mercury for instance. Mind you the new Mercs are beautiful motor and suzuki has really stepped up there game as well. Lucky for us in the quinte area. We have the option to go all 3 ways

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:38 pm 
Walleye Catcher

I have a quote on a SHO 200 w/yamaha kicker mulling it over. I hate to exit the evinrude space as i have never had issues with them barring power steering, love this motor. I try to shy away from Mercs and thought about Suzuki. I have a feeling the G2 space is about to be flooded with trade-ins unfortunately... sad really, love Evinrudes

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:53 pm 
Walleye Master

I don’t have any concerns with my g2. My feeling is there are likely many parts available and they still run
The brp sled division which uses similar oil. Maybe I’ll get burned and maybe not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://kingstonsportfishing.ca/

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:14 pm 
Walleye Master

I own a G2 as well and after some thought figure it is best to run the engine and ride it out as if Evinrude was still going strong.

Why trade it out now? It won’t save you money as you already own it and the depreciation has likely plateaued. Parts will be available for a long time. At some point you’ll have to switch it out but why rush if the engine is running well?

Oil certainly isn’t a concern. Contrary to popular belief you do not have to use Evinrude oil exclusively, look at your engine, near the cap it will say something like “use XD-100 or TC-W3 oil”. Full synthetic TC-W3 oil is XD-100 equivalent and readily available oil. I have priced full synthetic TC-W3 oil at several local automotive stores.

West Lake Willows offers 8 cottages and camping at the doorstep of the famous Sandbanks on West Lake.

www.bayofquintecharters.com, www.pictonharbourinn.com, www.westlakewillows.com

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:41 pm 
Perch

I was running AMSOil in my Etec for 4 years with no issues. Highly recommend it.

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:45 pm 
Walleye Catcher

Thanks for the input, i will have to look into some of these fluids.. i have only ever used XD100

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:55 pm 
Walleye Master

XD-100 is just the Evinrude brand. The oil is TC-W3 full synthetic.

West Lake Willows offers 8 cottages and camping at the doorstep of the famous Sandbanks on West Lake.

www.bayofquintecharters.com, www.pictonharbourinn.com, www.westlakewillows.com

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:21 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

When it comes time for regular G2 maintenance there are some things that most of us could handle.

1. Lower Unit gear oil change. Once you find the hidden drain plug under a cap at the nose cone. Also knowing to pull off the top tube of the lower unit gear oil reservoir under one of the motors side covers.

2. Spark Plug Change. If the spark plugs are indexed then you just need the correct plugs and a small ft lb torque wrench.

Things that I wouldn't try are impeller change, or power steering services. I'm only half mechanically inclined.

Maybe you can suggest other do it yourself items or who you would recommend to do the more complicated stuff.

Thanks,
BATMAN
2019 200 HO Evinrude G2
(Engines of Past)
2008 150 HO ETEC
1997 115 HO Entruder

banner ad
banner ad