Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Wed Jun 26, 2024 9:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
 Post subject: Minn Kota Copilot
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 1:20 pm 
Guppy

Hey all,

I'm considering purchasing a Minn Kota Copilot and I was curious if anyone in the area had any experience with them. I'd go wireless just for the convenience, but if others have had problems I'll just stick to the good old foot pedal that I have.

Thanks in advance!

Post subject: copilot
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:01 pm 
Walleye Catcher

I'm not familiar with the copilot but have owned a Motorguide RF version. A small cable that allows you to operate it remotely by handif you want or foot. I enjoyed th convenience of it and would rather have it than the standard mechanical cable type....larry

Post subject: Re: copilot
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 8:11 pm 
Guppy

haybay larry wrote:
I'm not familiar with the copilot but have owned a Motorguide RF version. A small cable that allows you to operate it remotely by handif you want or foot. I enjoyed th convenience of it and would rather have it than the standard mechanical cable type....larry

Thank you. I'm going to check it out on Monday. The one I am interested in is wireless and just snaps onto a rod if you wish. You can guide the trolling motor with your thumb.

Post subject: Re: copilot
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 9:39 am 
Walleye Angler

Boomjack wrote:
haybay larry wrote:

Thank you. I'm going to check it out on Monday. The one I am interested in is wireless and just snaps onto a rod if you wish. You can guide the trolling motor with your thumb.

The autopilot is the best option Minn Kota offers but you have to purchase a motor with it as it is not an add-on. When you have a fish on you just let the motor steer on autopilot. Otherwise I just place the foot petal where ever I need it in the boat and steer with my foot or hand (Mind you I just add corrections to the autopilot).

The autopilot is also used in conjunction with my gas pro-kicker...I place the kicker in gear and let the minn kota bow mount keep the bow going in the right direction, this is great when you catch a fish trolling into the wind as the autopilot will keep the bow pointed into the wind and prevent the bow from blowing around.

Post subject: Co Pilot
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 9:23 pm 
Walleye

Hi all.
Boomjack, I have the co-pilot on my boat which is a 18.5 cuddy. The co-pilot lets me sit in the back and drive the boat where ever I want. I also have the transducer on the bowmount so I can see and drive from the back. I payed 129.00 for the unit which is an add on and I am very pleased with it. It is easy to use and it is very responsive. The foot pedal can still be used so you don't lose anything. The only down fall is that the remote can be easily lost, touch wood I haven't lost mine yet. I bought an extra for 50.00 and that way I won't be let down. I wish I would have bought the auto pilot as I have used it alot but didn't think it would be good on my boat. If you are going to buy a whole new Minnkota, buy the one with both but if you are just looking for the co-pilot I think you will really like it. I also reccommend you shop around as the price veries greatly.
Cheers Clark

Post subject: Re: Co Pilot
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 2:34 pm 
Guppy

Walleye wrote:
Hi all.
Boomjack, I have the co-pilot on my boat which is a 18.5 cuddy. The co-pilot lets me sit in the back and drive the boat where ever I want. I also have the transducer on the bowmount so I can see and drive from the back. I payed 129.00 for the unit which is an add on and I am very pleased with it. It is easy to use and it is very responsive. The foot pedal can still be used so you don't lose anything. The only down fall is that the remote can be easily lost, touch wood I haven't lost mine yet. I bought an extra for 50.00 and that way I won't be let down. I wish I would have bought the auto pilot as I have used it alot but didn't think it would be good on my boat. If you are going to buy a whole new Minnkota, buy the one with both but if you are just looking for the co-pilot I think you will really like it. I also reccommend you shop around as the price veries greatly.
Cheers Clark

Thank you to everyone who replied. I had a PowerDrive on the boat already so I just grabbed the co-pilot. It took literally five minutes to install and man do I love it. I was afraid to put it on a rod in case it leapt for freedom when I was casting, so I just threw it on the velcro band and put it on my wrist. It's a joy to not have the footpedal and cord in the way.

Next motor will probably be an autopilot, but I'm extremely happy with the co-pilot add-on so far.

Thanks again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 6:01 pm 
Walleye

I have had my CO pilot for three years now, i have the remote on my rod...never once has it fell off or out, I tried the wrist thing, but it is way more conv. on the rod, I also like when i launch the boat , I put the trolling motor down and leave the boat untied when there is a lot of kids around... after parking the truck the kids are all yelling hey mister your boat floated away, With the controler hid in my hand ,i whistled and hit the forward button, as the boat got close to the dock i gave the boat crap for floating off , ....you should have seen the eyes on those kids 8O 8O 8O 8O :lol: it's a great add on for your trolling motor i'm sure you love it
Phil

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 7:19 pm 
Walleye Angler

lol..that is a good one...you just sold me....i am ordering mine right now.

banner ad