It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2024 2:29 pm
banner ad

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:46 am 
Site Admin

For Immediate Release

August 13, 2006

WFN Angler, J.P DeRose Reels In $10,000 at CRK’s CFT Belleville Open And The Top 40 Anglers Get Ready For The National Classic

WFN: World Fishing Network On-site To Capture All The Action

BELLEVILLE, ON – J.P. DeRose tackled the Bay of Quinte this past weekend at CRK’s CFT Belleville Open catching 37.30 lbs. in bass while reeling in $10,000 of the $35,000 total cash payout. One lucky fan and spectator didn’t go home empty handed either – local resident Janneke Smardenkas walked away with $2,500 courtesy of New Ark Marina and WFN: World Fishing Network.

CRK’s CFT Belleville Open was held this past weekend at the Kiwanis East Bayshore Park located in Belleville on the Bay of Quinte. Winning angler, J.P. DeRose hooked five bass on Saturday weighing 20.35 lbs and another five bass on Sunday for the total combined weight of 37.30 lbs.

“I am absolutely elated!” stated Markham angler, J.P. DeRose, “I have never won a tournament like this in the six years that I have been professionally fishing, and it is extra special that WFN is my sponsor and being able to win this event representing them means the world to me”

Over 100 anglers (professional and amateur) competed this weekend in Belleville for big bass and bragging rights. Rounding off the top five anglers from this weekends tournament are; Rob Laframboise with 37.15 lbs, John Noel with 36.75 lbs, Mike DesForges with 36.45lbs and in fifth was Mike Jackson with 35.15 lbs.

Angler Doug Brownridge caught a 5.60 lbs bass earning him the title of biggest bass for the weekend tournament. Amateur of the 2006 CRK’s CFT Super Series and the top amateur angler for the Belleville Open went to Leo Capobianco. His back-to-back victory earned him $2,500 and the memories of a lifetime.

This was the final of four events in CRK’s CFT Super Series and the top forty anglers will now advance to CRK’s CFT National Classic in Kingston on the Labour Day long weekend.

Currently Mike Desforges is leading by less than two pounds with 189.3 lbs and leading the prestigious CFT Super Series Angler of the Year race over Doug Brownridge who has 187.5 lbs. Third place leader going into the classic is John Noel with 165.95lbs.

WFN: World Fishing Network, North America’s only 24/7 fishing network, was on-site all weekend to capture the event and will broadcast CRK’s CFT Belleville Open in October. WFN is currently available on Rogers Digital channel 426, Aurora Cable channel 214, and Cogeco Cable channel 120. Visit www.wfn.tv for more information.

Adding to the excitement of the weekend, local resident Janneke Smardenkas of Big Island won $2,500 by entering the New Ark Marina and WFN contest on-site.

“I am so excited! This is my first time to a pro tournament. I’m here because my son, Paul, fished with J.P DeRose. I am a WFN fan forever,” exclaimed Janneke after winning the $2,500 contest from CRK’s CFT and WFN.

CRK’s CFT has 1 final stop in the Super Series across Ontario, concluding in Kingston the first weekend in September. To find out how you could get in the action for next year and win some cash, go to www.canadianfishingtour.com for a complete schedule.

banner ad