Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Wed Jun 26, 2024 8:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Drug Testing....
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 12:41 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

I came across this and had to share it....

Cheers. :lol:

Top anglers drug tested at fishing competition

TOP championship anglers were left shocked... after being asked to submit to drug tests.

Competitors at last week's World Angling Championships were told to give urine samples or face losing their prizes.

Astonishingly, the tests - which they all passed - were made because officials fear stimulants could give cheats an unfair advantage by sharpening their reflexes when they get a bite.

The regime is part of a move to bring angling up to Olympic standards ahead of a bid to make it an official sport.

But it caught anglers by surprise. Briton Sean Ashby, who came third in the individual competition and was part of the England team which won the overall event, said: "At first I thought it was a wind-up. There are one or two jokers in the pack and I was convinced someone was having a laugh. My first thought was, 'What drug could possibly help anyone catch more fish?'"

But, after his initial shock, the 39-year-old admitted he came round to the testing plan.

Advertisement

"I think it's a good thing," he added. "It gives the sport credibility because we are subject to the same anti-doping tests as other sports. At this level, we all take angling very seriously.

"We want it to be in the Olympics one day, so we have to fall in line with other sports.

"Speed of reflexes is very important and I suppose it would be possible for some drugs to help with that. When a fish starts to bite, you have to be quick to strike with your rod if you're going to end up catching it."

Experts suggest the use of amphetamines or cocaine could improve reaction times.

Angling is by far the most popular sport in Britain, with more than 10 million people regularly taking part. The top three fishermen at last week's world championships all passed their drug tests.

However, the tests did not go entirely smoothly and had to be carried out twice after the initial sample batch proved faulty. The anglers all passed a second time. "I know that most competitive anglers just drink water when they're fishing," said Sean. "There's too much at stake to take your eye off your float in order to eat."

A spokesman for the governing body, the National Federation of Anglers, said: "Many top anglers dedicate their lives to the sport. They travel the country every weekend competing in contests and they all welcome the onset of drug testing. It gives the sport a higher status."

Many top anglers are professional, earning a living by entering competitions with prizes of up to £500.

WHAT THEY MIGHT SAY..

Tuna in, turn on... drop out

Got any smackerel?

It's the drug squid

Is that a roach?

I'm hooked on lines

Fancy some seaweed?

Let's have an octopuff

banner ad