Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:34 am
banner ad

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Noob Intro
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:47 am 
Goby

Hi all! Fled the big smoke to try to make a go of a simpler, more peaceful life in PEC. Renting a place on the water (south side of the Bay, east of Albury/west of Makatewis Island, with a view of the old lighthouse), right across from CFB Trenton (loving the regular mini air shows!!). I've done some summer fishing (mostly on West Lake, a few weeks per summer when renting), but haven't done any ice fishing, so I'm hoping to give it a determined and regular try (up to heading out for a bit every day, weather permitting). The water is shallow off my shore and a boat is not in my current budget, though I'd consider picking up a beaten up aluminum with a 9.9 hp next summer if I decide to make the move to the area permanent; ideally I'll end up in a place that lets me walk to the end of my dock early each morning with coffee in one hand and fishing rod in the other for an hour of peaceful casting.

I'm already doing my research and reading homework here and elsewhere on ice fishing. I often see a few huts 600 or so directly yards off my shoreline, a few to the east, and a bunch about 1-2 km to the west (I think that is onderdonk point). I'm not fooling myself into thinking I'll be pulling in a lot of fish, but I'd love to catch one or two here and there if I can...planning to get appropriate rod and tackle this week, maybe a spud bar (I have a 4" forged wood-handled ice scraper/chipper I used for my driveway that would work for now...and I'll put a rope handle on it so I don't lose it through the ice), and maybe a beginner pop-up hut.

Any suggestions on what else I really require to get started, and whether there is any point in me just heading out there on a nice day, chipping a hole, and trying to temp something to bite with a minnow-tipped jig? Is there any point in me testing things out in more shallow water (i.e. 5 feet), even just to see if I can get some eating-sized perch? Historically I've never kept more than 1 or 2 fish to eat per season, but I'd love to have at least one pickerel fish-and-chips meal this winter...

Thanks, and looking forward to learning something (and maybe catching something)!
Anton

Post subject: Re: Noob Intro
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 11:37 am 
Walleye Wisdom

Most would suggest a full floating suit and ice picks to improve safety on Quinte. The next best thing is to go fishing with 1 or two friends. You are lucky enough to be renting a place that is close to some of the best Walleye fishing in the world. You should take advantage of it. If you eventually get to like ice fishing you maybe become hooked like most on this site. Then you decision to stay permanently may be sealed. BATMAN

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:56 am 
Walleye

AntonD wrote:
Hi all! Fled the big smoke to try to make a go of a simpler, more peaceful life in PEC. Renting a place on the water (south side of the Bay, east of Albury/west of Makatewis Island, with a view of the old lighthouse), right across from CFB Trenton (loving the regular mini air shows!!). I've done some summer fishing (mostly on West Lake, a few weeks per summer when renting), but haven't done any ice fishing, so I'm hoping to give it a determined and regular try (up to heading out for a bit every day, weather permitting). The water is shallow off my shore and a boat is not in my current budget, though I'd consider picking up a beaten up aluminum with a 9.9 hp next summer if I decide to make the move to the area permanent; ideally I'll end up in a place that lets me walk to the end of my dock early each morning with coffee in one hand and fishing rod in the other for an hour of peaceful casting.

I'm already doing my research and reading homework here and elsewhere on ice fishing. I often see a few huts 600 or so directly yards off my shoreline, a few to the east, and a bunch about 1-2 km to the west (I think that is onderdonk point). I'm not fooling myself into thinking I'll be pulling in a lot of fish, but I'd love to catch one or two here and there if I can...planning to get appropriate rod and tackle this week, maybe a spud bar (I have a 4" forged wood-handled ice scraper/chipper I used for my driveway that would work for now...and I'll put a rope handle on it so I don't lose it through the ice), and maybe a beginner pop-up hut.

Any suggestions on what else I really require to get started, and whether there is any point in me just heading out there on a nice day, chipping a hole, and trying to temp something to bite with a minnow-tipped jig? Is there any point in me testing things out in more shallow water (i.e. 5 feet), even just to see if I can get some eating-sized perch? Historically I've never kept more than 1 or 2 fish to eat per season, but I'd love to have at least one pickerel fish-and-chips meal this winter...

Thanks, and looking forward to learning something (and maybe catching something)!
Anton

I sent you a PM.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:14 pm 
Guppy

What is everybodys thoughts on just a floating bib and a normal winter jacket? I guess its better than nothing but is it detrimental?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:55 am 
Walleye Fingerling

Nothing wrong with floating bibs and no floating jacket as long as you are ok floating upside down.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 1:25 pm 
Goby

A few generous board members have offered to take me out for a spin on the hard water! Excited to get out there once the ice is a little thicker, and get some practical learning on appropriate gear etc.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 5:54 pm 
Site Admin

Welcome aboard, really nice to hear of board members offering to take you out. Good luck out there

banner ad