Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Wed Jun 26, 2024 9:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
 Post subject: Winterizing
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:49 pm 
Walleye

Pruchased my first bass boat this season and I am a rookie when it comes to getting it ready for the winter. It has a 200 Mariner MagIII on it. I have bought the fogging oil and gas stabilizer(even though my tanks are pretty much empty) and was just wondering if anybody could give some steps to do in order to get it ready for the winter. I have been wanting to get out for some of these beautiful walleye but the weather is telling me that I should put her to sleep and get ready for the hard water fishing. Is it too early to winterize it??? And any suggestions on batteries, I have heard to pull them out and keep them in the house then charge them up once a month. Is this true. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Post subject: putting her away
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 4:09 pm 
Walleye

jay don't forget to change your lower gear case oil and i bring my battery in every year and put them on a wooden stand. do not leave them on a concreat floor. every couple of months i give them a qiuck charge 4 to 5 hours. if you are storing your boat out side try to put some wood 2x6 under the tires. helps prevent lose of air. and i usly have my 5 litres of oil change before i put it away. iam to lazy to do, all of this, so i take it to a marine where i bought my boat. the old drop it off and pick it up in acouple of days. happy fishing ,see you on the water. walleyedreamer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:41 pm 
Minnow

I'm no expert but I think walleye dreamer is right on. Don't forget the gearcase oil, because if there is water in there and it freezes-CRACK goes your lower unit.

I have a 175 merc two stroke and all I do is fill the tank and add stabilizer, run the gas/stabilizer through the engine (or you can run the engine out of gas), change the gear oil, wash it, spray some oil on any parts that may rust, charge and store the battery NOT on a concrete floor as walleyedreamer said and cover the boat up good.

Oh and don't forget to take out any snacks, gulp! or scented stuff the critters might like to enjoy over the winter!

Hooked Up

Post subject: putting her away
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:19 pm 
Walleye

one other thing i for got to mentions jay. is that i put molt balls from front to back, to help keep any unwanted critter from getting in the boat. and eating up the wiring. before i put my shrink wrap back on from last year. shrink wrap can be re used if your careful not to rip it when taking it off in the spring. happy fishing, see you on the water, walleye dreamer.

banner ad