banner ad

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Wed Jun 26, 2024 9:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:36 am 
Walleye

Good day folks. A couple of buddies and myself are going to try our first ever fall day trip to Quinte. We are driving from Burlington and I am hoping to gather some advice on the where's of trying.
I have all I need to catch the fish as I fish Erie and the lower Grand. I am looing for places to put in. Our choices that we have discussed is the river in Desoronto or to try the Reach. Who knows, by Sunday even the Narrows may be good.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Tight lines.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:13 pm 
Walleye Angler

My experience is substantial over the years, but zero so far this season.

The fishery has changed tremendously since I first began fishing it in the early 90's, and that had changed plenty from prior to that. [My Post Divorce Renaissance began in 94, so most of my experience has been since then!] The main differences from the very old days is that the Indians have pounded the bejeepers out of it [MNR data suggests they remove something in the order of 4x the amount of fish all the anglers remove] and that the zebra mussels have made the water very clear.

In spring 1991, my kids and I caught 53 walleyes in a day and a half of fishing near Desoronto, and there were literally thousands of boats around on opening day, with most everyone catching at least their limits. It was incredible. Now the water is so clear, the fish don't hang out in these shallower water points. Check out Deseronto on opening day, and perhaps 1% of the fish are now caught. Sheesh.

Anyway, my point is that the clear water tends to keep the fish deeper and longer. While you can catch fish up in Deseronto and Telegraph in the fall, for the most part the better fishing is closer to Lake Ontario. I would be surprised if you could catch as many fish up Telegraph way, but it would be superb if you tried and let us know.

In the early to mid-90's, you would see dozens of boats anchored along the weedline in Picton Bay kicking ass every night at sunset and afterwards. My dad and I trolled the harbour one night and caught 39 fish between the two of us. We stayed til 2 am trying for #40 but it didn't happen.

As the years went by, we stopped fishing in the harbour at night, and started fishing just beyond the pumphouse. Then we started fishing farther out, Merland's and beyond. Though if I'm around at night I will probably still try outside of Picton Harbour, just for old time's sake!

Nowadays, much of the fishing - and not just early on in the fall season but for the whole en-tar fall season - is beyond the Glenora Ferry, where you can legally fish with two lines per person. Long leads and deep divers are usually the ticket, you can get specifics on the board. Side planers, downriggers, Fireline and snap-on weights all have their applications from time to time.

So most of the guys are fishing around the ferry or beyond it, and sometimes WAY beyond. There are always exceptions, however - sometimes Thompson's and Sherman's Points [opposite Picton Bay] can produce. Hell, it's the Bay of Quinte - ANYWHERE can produce. But some places produce better than others.

Back in the 90's, I had a few favourite lures, and I would try almost nothing else, because THEY WORKED. Now, the fish are scarcer, although they don't seem to be any smaller. Numbers are down, but [no-sh|t!] average size is still 10-12 lbs, making it one of the best walleye fisheries in the world, and arguably the best trophy walleye fishery. So I am far more willing to try different lures and different presentations. The fish will hit almost any colour in the rainbow, so I would suggest changing lures frequently until you find something that works.

Rapala Taildancers and Mann's Stretch 20+ seem to be in vogue these days, whereas deep diving Husky Jerks were more the rage a few years ago. Go back farther and you find the clown Husky Jerk and the Rogues, while the "only" lure back in the early 90's, at least at night, was the Rebel Fastrac in a yellowy-chartreuse with pink diamonds, not exacty what you'd expect. And I still love my #9 silver Shad Rap, you know, the one with all the teeth marks in it?! I'll try all the above lures, and more, in lots of different colours til I find what works.

One thing that has raised my eyebrows more than a little are the guys who have written they are fishing "fast", or at least fast compared to what I have fished in the past, which has been 0.6 - 0.8 mph at night, and 1.0 - 1.5 mph in the day. Guys have been catching fish this past week fishing at 2.5 mph, so there ya go. I believe this is a function of clearer water - generally the clearer the water, the faster you should troll. So I'm gonna "kick it up a notch" with my dad when we try on Thursday or Friday.

I can tell you that the fishing only gets better as the water gets colder. The best fishing seems to start when the water is below 54F.

Anybody know what the CURRENT WATER TEMPERATURE is?

Sometimes the best fishing can be just before the ice freezes everything up - at this point we are desperately searching for places we can still launch a boat!

Watch the winds, stay home if they're from the east, but you know that, right?

Have a beauty day, and let us know how you do. And don't even THINK of going home when it gets dark - the best fishing might only just be beginning.

Cheers and beers,
Pete

P.S. A few thoughts re. keeping big fish:

1. It's hard to catch a walleye smaller than 8 lbs this time of year! If you catch a small one, keep him as he's good to eat.

2. The big guys taste like crap, seriously. Throw them back.

3. The big guys are so full of contaminents, they are hazardous to your health! Read the MNR publications if you don't believe me. You're nuts to eat one so big. Throw them back.

4. And if you catch that trophy? Throw him back so I can catch him next year when he's bigger, and go have a replica mount made. The replicas look better than the real thing!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:32 pm 
Walleye Master

i agree with 99% of what has been said above....

except the final statement.

it can be very frustrating trying to get a replica mount done of quinte walleye, as i've found out.

you see, quinte walleye are freaks of nature. short and fat.

the replica mounts are done with moulds. if they dont have a mould to fit your fish, you dont get one.

my 14 pounder from last winter was only 28.5 inches (seriously, i measured it twice!).

when i spoke to advanced taxidermy, they told me it wouldn't be possible to get a mount done, however, if i would have kept the fish, they would have given me a skin mount at 50% off, as they would then have a mould of my fish to use again.....

but of course, she was released.

as for the rest of the info, its dead on accurate. from where the fish are, to what speeds, to why they are there.

Pete knows whats up. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:33 pm 
Walleye Master

oh, and pete, the water temps this past weekend were actually UP from 47 the weekend before to 54 this past weekend.

i think it had to do with all the rain we've been having....the temps rose quite a bit in the last week.

Post subject: be there on the 4
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 2:01 pm 
Walleye

kim, and i aka walleyedreamer. chris. will be at quinte starting nov 4 until the following saturday morning. and 9 out of 10 times, we will be fishing east of the ferry. main reason two rods per person equal more chances of catching thoses walleye. i have my radio on channel 72. take care all. happy fishing, see you on the water, walleyedreamer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 2:07 pm 
Walleye

Thanks for that info passthepitonspete, I do have my trophy from there that I caught ice fishing many years ago. What i need more though is info to the ramps at the Reach and the river. I may try the river early and then trailer over to the ferry to troll the Reach for a while. I have done the google map of the area but it does not note where there are ramps.
thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 3:25 pm 
Walleye Master

well, there is a ramp right at the ferry. you seriously can't miss it. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 4:37 pm 
Walleye

Thanks Steve.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 11:51 am 
Walleye

Looks like a great weekend coming up. Long range is saying winds from the east at 5. I am looking forward to this trip.
Most likley see a lot of boats out there. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:09 pm 
Walleye Master

if the winds stay that low, expect to see upwards of 70 boats or more on the reach. 8O

Post subject: good little wind
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:29 pm 
Walleye

i will be putting my Canadian flags on my otter boats on Saturday. hope every one see them, before we have an otter boat accident. and have to make a report with the opp lol. happy fishing, see you on the water, walleyedreamer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:25 am 
Walleye

I see the weather man has changed his wind forecast. Since I have never fished the reach before will this make for an interesting day ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:07 pm 
Walleye Angler

I bet skevy's in Belleville could help you out