banner ad

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Wed Jun 26, 2024 9:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:16 pm 
Walleye Angler

It seemed like a good idea at the time....

As my dad and I were driving east along the 401, everything looked perfect. The leaves had mostly fallen from the trees, the flags were pointing eastward, and the thermos was topped up with 25-cent McDonald's Senior Coffee refills.

We plopped in at the ramp in Picton Bay about mid-morning, and noted a bag of fish guts lying on the ground next to the garbage can. This is both a good thing and a bad thing, and you know why. We tried a short troll opposite Merland's where we have sometimes caught fish in the day in December, but without luck.

We motored east to Glenora and just east of the ferry began marking lots of "hooks". Not as many fish as we have seen in the past, but certainly enough to show us that there were fish about - all sizes and all depths. Winds were moderate from the west, occasionally gusty. At times it got a bit rough out in the middle, but we were usually OK closer to shore.

We threw everything we had at 'em - every lure, every colour, every depth, every speed, every presentation. Reaches, points, shoals, bays. Side planer boards, downriggers, flat lines, Fireline, Trilene, fluorocarbon. Snaps with swivels and snaps without swivels. Trebles, siwash, Excaliburs. Fish scent, coffee, beer. Cursing and swearing, pleading and praying. You get the picture.

Nothing.

We saw a number of boats, and didn't see a single fish caught. No nets in the water, no "crazy Ivan" turns as the wind blows you while you're fighting a fish. We saw one guy standing up and thought maybe he was playing a fish, but we concluded he was just taking a leak.

We went back to the Merland's - Picton Harbour area at sunset. Now the PLAN was to give my dad the long Loomis with the mono on the baitcaster, but before I realized it, he had grabbed the other setup with the Fireline on the baitcaster. "Be careful casting that thing in the dark ...."

Uh-oh.

I spent the next twenty minutes steering the boat with the trolling motor while de-clustering the biggest Fireline clusterfrig you can imagine, zig-zagging all over the water in the dark trying to do three things at once. What finally solved the bird's nest problem was taking a ballpoint pen and slipping it under the loops to free them.

We trolled our usual nighttime haunts to no avail. Two boats anchored on the weedline near the pumphouse caught nothing that we saw in the two hours we were trolling around, but one guy reported catching a single fish around sunset.

"You know, if you had to pick a great night to fish - just enough moonlight, the right amount and direction of wind, the perfect amount of ripple - this would be it."

"Too bad nobody told the fish."

We bailed around 8pm, and at the ramp another guy said they caught one fish only somewhere out past the ferry during the day.

"Well, at least we had fun."

"It's better than working for a living."

"You can say you had fun getting skunked the first time out for the fall season, but it won't be fun a second time."

"This always seems to happen to us the first time out, it's too early yet."

Anyway, we'll be back.

Cheers,
Pete [and Ron]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:29 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

sounds like you had a safe trip on the bay and anything caught would be
iceing on the cake. there is always next time ?
we may be up the 9th if i can convince the boys
blue :roll: :roll:

banner ad
 Post subject: They're tough
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:16 pm 
QUINTEFISHING HALL OF FAME MEMBER

Pete,

Know how you felt - throwing all the lures at them and zipper...

Others had a magic touch and found the active fish - guess that's the secret.

Hay Bay / Kingston

Manufacturing UZICK Spinners for over 25 Years

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:51 pm 
Walleye

Like you said, its better than working. Though, I really find it frustrating when everything appears to be perfect, and ya get nothing! Oh well, luckily you got more days comin to ya to get some, and you will.

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 9:33 am 
Walleye Angler

you people are making it up!!! I keep hearing stories about this mythological fish called a, WALLEYE?? whatever this fish is, it'll never be caught by me !!!

LOL !! don't feel too bad, if I catch a fish once for every 20 times I'm out fishing then I'm doing good !! and I'm talking about a 4" perch
:roll:

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:19 am 
Walleye Angler

Well, don't give up hope. The fishing will only get better as the water gets colder.

Remember - the average size Quinte fall walleye is more than ten pounds, and it's genuinely hard to catch one small enough to eat! Twelve pounders are not uncommon at all.

And yeah, coming back alive is always a good thing. See, there was this time once with Neil about ten years ago....

banner ad
banner ad