Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 6:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:59 pm 
Walleye Master

Ok Boys the poll is finished and its time to move forwords
67% picked Febuary 18th, as Battle day !!!! so this is the day we all Battle on the bay mark it on the callander! . this gives us 32 days to bring this all together so its a fun time for all.
Once again the battle will be on Big Bay this choice was also made in a poll where as 76% voted for this spot over Belleville or Trenton. so Big Bay it is!
**********************************************************************************
BATTLE OF THE BAY..... FEB,18.2012....... HELD ON BIG BAY.. WE ALL MEET AT WAGERS FARM ON BIG ISLAND TO DO BATTLE.

Now is where the work begins !! A few people spoke up earlier and now is a good time to lock in to help out and make this day a fun one for everyone. We need people to donate and bring food , we need to cook the food so we need BBQ , burners, a way to keep food warm and a place to cook like a tent we had last year would be good this year and someone (Zoomer) I think said they had one please lock in and confirm this so we can arrage to get it out and set up the day of the event..... this will also be the main center of the battle with an area flagged off that make the playing field so to speak .
will someone volentier??.......... . would be nice to have a person who will cordinate the food,that dont mean buy it and cook it lol this means take orders or inventory of what people will bring, paper plates, garbage bags. foil. what ever we may need. remember this is all donations so please dont ask for a check to buy food. Our alturnitive to the food is not have any and everyone bring your own food and drinks just like you would any other time because its pretty hard not knowing how many will show up cook for 50 and have 100 show up hungry just isnt going to get it lol
also someone to manage the tent, and weigh master (Person to weigh, record, and reliece fish)you might weigh one fish you might weigh many lol but they will be in the center by the tent with a quick reliece hole at there station.
I was thinking would be nice to look for or bring a small donation that could be placed on a prize table...... maybe buy a ticket for a loony or toony turn the prizes to cash for the cops and kids . Last year we got donations that we gave to the cops but it took work and was a bit of a hassle so just giving them money would be cool, and give the prizes to the people who did battle on the bay...... so sky is the limit..... a lure, an oil change for a car, hell even a bag of dog food lol. anything to be given as a prize use your imagination and fill the table with prizes lol
Remember this is all about fun, meeting folks from this board having a great time, alot of laughs, fun day on the ice and a great way for us as fishermen to give back a little of what we use and what better way than to give to the kids of belleville thru the cops and kids program.
At this time we are looking for ideas, and for volentiers to help remember this is not the Grizzly Show lol im not running this thing alone lol you all wanted a chance to be involved it was hard enough last year with 20 guys this year to make it good it will take help from many harder we work the better it will be..
So Far there is 42 people who have signed up for this thing and i dont want to close it down unless most agree or want to set a cap so i sugest if your name is not on the list you should make up your mind quickly and sign up.
Ok people lets hear your ideas, lets have some input remember this is a quinte fishing board member event.. its just us guys lets see how fun we can make it this year

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:33 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Grizz
What do you think of doing some pre setup on Friday afternoon? We can go out and set out an area with boundaries, place a few stakes and find a good spot for the weigh tent, clear it out if needed. Drill a few holes and look for ice depths and find a safe area. Just need a few people, I’d be willing to meet say at 11 or 12, this way we don’t bother anyone fishing that day, if someone has a bike or sled might be useful depending on the conditions. Just less we have to do first thing in the morning. As well I will help with registration in the morning.
Tim

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:41 pm 
Walleye Master

HAHAHA Tim
, you just wanna pre fish lol . but yes a good idea if you ask me,,,,,,, lets wait and see what the tent guy has to say would be nice to have the stage set before the band starts playin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:32 pm 
Walleye Master

OK Bud,

My brother is Zoomer and I'll talk with him about the big BBQ, if he can't produce the big BBQ and propane , I'll dig mine out and bring it (it will handle a lot of burgers at once).

I volunteer as a member of the QWL my time , my bike and my auger to pre-inspect mark out our location the day before.

I will bring wings and sauces, paper plates and napkins to feed 50. Will bring outdoor deep fryer and a six foot folding table. I will also cook this food up.

I will also volunteer my time to help organize the morning start, haul gear, people, supplies and equipment.

I am also willing to donate something of quality to the donation table (maybe a couple thousand lures from my collection, lol!)

I would like to see a BIG FISH pool started. I am willing to organize and set this part up. Say $5.00 to enter

Will Wagers volunteer/donate the parking for the day, if not maybe we can negotiate a flat rate for the day. Help reduce the price for everyone.

Chris's idea for the prize table is good, but maybe we pay down the top 5 since there is going to be a bigger turnout, winner gets first choice and then down the line. Let's remember it's more about laughs and good times, meeting fellow board members than it is about taking home any sort of prize. Except for first place which gives you the ultimate prize. BRAGGING RIGHTS!!!!!!!!!!!

A qualified person to handle a camera for a group pic is a must.

Grizz if you need anything else just ask, PM me or call me. I am sure I'll have some other things to add.

[b][color=#00BFFF]Radioworld[/color
Proud Member Of CLOSA
Proud Member of LOTSA
MC Rockets
Atommik Tournament Flies
ITO Flies

The World is all about ass, you either kick it or lick it

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:39 pm 
Walleye Master

oh no, not the pre set up build a trial get gene unsstuck thing again lol, if im around ill help set up.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:58 pm 
Walleye Master

I am also willing to donate something of quality to the donation table (maybe a couple thousand lures from my collection, lol!)

lol love it gene but laughing so hard right after dinner is never a good thing lol

right on guys good ideas.......... I do like the Big fish idea that way the pro fishers have something to shoot for, should be run totally seperate from the battle. a battle with in a battle so to speak lol ...
as far as the prizes id just as soon you win them by chance over win them with fishing skills but thats just my oppinion also when people like what they see on the table they might want to buy more than one chance and all this money goes to the kids so lets try to find a table full of prizes... we all must know someone who we can ask to donate a lil something Fish related is cool but it sure dont have to be.
Gene let us know about Zoomer's tent we will see about food as it gets a lil closer to the day remember people want to fish not spend the afternoon cooking so it will have to be well thought out if its going to happen maybe a non fisher person wants to donate some cooking time lol
Just on a lil side note i would like to see a shot gun start from shore only machines used will be thouse used to set up. or take down and perhaps ride out people who cant walk far because of handicap but this will be in a large enoug area to spred out a bit but still small enough that people will be fishing around or near other people and the weight station. this means they spud or drill there own hole or holes??? that brings another question i have to all whats you thoughts on holes. can you have only one hole for duration or do we allow one move per person or will it be a free for all ?? keep in mind we need safe ice to walk around on lol whats your thoughts guys let us know

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:10 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

1 hole in the morning 1 hole after noon? I picked the wrong one last year....lol

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:25 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Looks like it will start shaping up now. I suggest the fishing time be a 7:00am start and a 2:00pm finish ,with all combatents picking up a ticket at the registration tent , before the start ,Dinner bell to be rung at 12:00 sharp , :D I will provide Tickets for the prize table, a large Turkey frier sized pot of Chili, fresh rolls , and dinner bowls and spoons , I also will have a ATV/snowmobile and bush trailer to transport gear out to the location .

For the prize table I will Donate a Day(for two) fishing Muskies on the StLawrence aboard the Apex Predator ,everything provided except a guarantee of Muskies :D

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:27 pm 
Walleye Master

I like the idea of the shotgun start from shore. ATV's just for hauling out gear for the Battle. Less trailers in the parking lot would make more room for vehicles. Would also save the guys with bikes having to run back and forth 20 or 30 times, morning and afternoon.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:50 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

I'm not sure about shotgun from shore, last year was along hard walk, mayby from designated area near site, just the idea of getting all sweaty getting out there then getting colder faster. Then there's the issue of Gene (and myself) running out from shore!!!! We'd have to make sure someone is qualified to use a Defibrillator ....lol We can find a spot on Friday afternoon abit closer??

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:13 pm 
Walleye Master

Grizz have to agree with Tim, not crazy about a shotgun start, you'd loose a 3/4's of a hour to get out and drill and get setup, you better than anyone knows how long it takes me to decide on a lure choice. Being out and ready to go gives everyone a fair start.

Hodgey had suggested earlier that maybe 3/4 smaller circles close together with tent in middle be the setup, that sounds like the ideal way to go. This would keep with the general idea of being able to be reasonably close to everyone and get some socializing in.

Last year the bikes and sleds were all needed and didn't impair the fishing area at all. There was plenty of parking for all.

In case of a emergency we need transportation close. Heaven forbid.

Each guy gets 2 holes, (1 for pole and one for flashers or cameras or both in some peoples case, hehe) for 3/4 hours and then maybe at lunch or shortly before re-draw for positions, so you fish a different hole for the second half of the day, but everyone is still in the circled areas. I would like to see it go a little later than 2pm.

Prize thing by buying tickets is cool with me.

Will check with brother on his tent also, but I don't think it will be close to last years beauty.

[b][color=#00BFFF]Radioworld[/color
Proud Member Of CLOSA
Proud Member of LOTSA
MC Rockets
Atommik Tournament Flies
ITO Flies

The World is all about ass, you either kick it or lick it

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:40 pm 
Walleye Master

Gene, in the perfect world it all sounds great lol im just thinking about last year verses this year. last year we were 20 men 3 atvs and one sled. all the gear and we were one hour late lol now times that by 3 you think there is time to go out set up three rings draw possitions drill holes pack gear and be ready before 8 am when we all show up at 6;30 thats one hour before day break .
my reason for shot gun start is to make it simple you walk out, hell run if you want to lol but go out dig yourself a hole and sit down and fish in an area i mean to me it dont get more simple than that you have to stay in an area now yes some guys cant walk far so they will have to get to the closet point and drill a hole but we are not talking 3 miles out not everyone has a bike or a sled lol i dont even think we are talking one mile to the furthest point out from shore.
we will need sled or ATV to get bigger gear out there stoves tent tables but i do think for the most part 90% of us can walk out there with no problem if your old or in bad shape or health then bring your bike but man we dont need 50 bikes with trailors out there 20 trucks and cars is one thing just think of 60 or more the parking lot aint that big lol .
we cant always go by last year we have to make this easy as we can but im up for anything or any sugestions like ive said in the past this isnt my show this is our show im deffinatly not trying to set myself up to run this show but i will help out any way I can. these are just my thoughts here and i hope more sugestions come in time

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:55 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Hey guys, I wish you guys the best of luck on the Battle, it looks like its gonna be a great turn out and there's a ton of work involved. I've been talking to Grizz and have decided to Donate a half day charter on May 24 2012 which will finish off with a BBQ lunch on the boat. Feel free to use it however u wish within the Battle.

Good luck guys and safe fishing.

Facebook: http://facebook.com/trophywalleye
Twitter: @pbandjcharters

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:05 pm 
Walleye Master

thats a great offer joe and we all thank you we now have two charter trips one from Trophy Hunter for the table of prizes they alone are well worth a toony a chance to win ,maybe others will step up to the plate and make a donation here on this thread and there will be many more things on the table remeber all proceeds go to the kids all bragging rights go to the winner lol

Last edited by Grizzly on Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:10 pm 
Walleye Master

I agree. I don't think walking out from shore will waste any more time than trying to get 40 or 50 people out 1 by 1 on bikes. I'm sure most people that ice fish, probably have augers, or there will be one close by. Walk out, set up shop, drill a hole, then you're good to go. The easier it is, the more fun people will have. If everybody leaves the same spot at the same time, I'd say that's fair. As mentioned before, even bringing your own food and drinks, would save alot of headache. All the ideas sound great, but with that many people, it may be hard to pull off in a 6 or 7 hour time frame, and still be able to fish. Anyways, it's all for fun, so no matter what happens, should be good.

banner ad