Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Sun Sep 29, 2024 11:18 am
banner ad

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Opening report
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 10:37 am 
Site Admin

Cymbals and I were at my trailer for the weekend out of hay bay. We were on the water by 6 am and fishing shortly after that. Set up in front of Perfect Vue and started trolling westward with a planer board and a taildancer and after about 30 min I notice 1 of the boards is acting strange but not dropping back. Check it and it was a small fish that came unbuttoned close to the boat.
Decided to move back to Ram Is and see how Jimbo is doing with his son. They are catching them so we joined the crowd. The long and short of it is we ended up boating 18 fish and all of them were clones of 3 to 3.5lbs. The crowds grew and the bite died so we moved on to check some different spots and nothing.
By now it was 1pm and seemed a nice lunch and siesta at the trailer was in order. Plan was to be back on the water for the late afternoon bite and stay for some night trolling. Apparently we werent the only ones with that plan.

After a nap and food, back out on the water and back to ram Is and the bite is off but we managed a couple more. From there we jumped all over the place trying spots and nothing. We settle in to a troll in the waters out front the cement plant and over to the ferry. Watched the sun go down and then that spectacular moon come up. WOW was it big. Water is flat as a pancake and I know the fish arent going to bite. Stayed out till 10 pm and boy was there ALOT of boats out. Hundreds of sets of little red/green/white lights on every point/shoal/spot that you could see. Way more than I've seen in years. Called it a night.

Sunday caught zip. Dont know if the full moon had anything to do with it or not. At one point we decided to go play with some pike on spinnerbaits and even they wouldnt come out.
All in all it was a good weekend, enjoyed seeing some old friends, catching a few fish, and being out on the water.

Post subject: Re: Opening report
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 11:53 am 
Guppy

Thanks for the report Dan. I heard that before and after a full moon is when the bite turns on but who knows. With the light that was given off by that moon I bet you didn't even need a headlamp! Anyway, sounds like a nice little outing. We'll be up at Blakewood in a few weeks so I'm sure we'll see you out on the water.
-Keep 'em tight.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 5:47 pm 
QUINTEFISHING HALL OF FAME MEMBER

Dan,

It was fun to chat on Hay Bay on Sunday, you guys sure nailed em saturday.

Sunday was very quiet

Will post our report later. Just back from a day in Toronto

David aka Superdad

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 8:39 pm 
Minnow

Unfortunately , we had our worst openner ever.
I fully believe that the amount of netting and spearing , done by both natives and the commercial guys , has finally caused the collapse of the fishery in Quinte.
I have never in my life seen so many nets ...... we were around big island and they were everywhere.
Really sad , that profit and native abuse has caused this kind of situation.
It'll take a decade to come back .....if the MNR does something today.....and they don't seem to be doing anything but turning a blind eye.
Normally there's 10 or 20 caught over 13 pounds for the tournament ..... this year , a couple over ten ???

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 9:02 pm 
Walleye Fry

Three casts three eyes not in right spot fella :lol: Maybe you should try Loblaws . From cocerned native off reserve.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 7:03 am 
Walleye Wisdom

There were a lot of factors that played into why the fishing was tough...I personally am getting a little tired of reading that it's the natives who are fishing out the bay. Take into account all factors before throwing the blame around and saying it will take a decade to come back. I have heard from people with real knowledge that the fishery in the bay is very strong.

I know that there were a lot of fish caught in our camp, just not the big ones as most of them have already moved into the big lake.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 7:53 am 
Walleye Angler

Nice report Dan, can't say the industry has collapsed when party's like yours catch 18 fish !

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 11:31 am 
Guppy

Thanks Dan for the fun fishing weekend.We didn't catch the biggest but I think we caught the most. Congrats to all the anglers and it was good to see you again Super Dave. Cymbals

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 11:41 am 
Walleye

fishing was great for us! we managed 34 on night 1 all good eaters,one fish was 4.9 lbs night 2 we caught 9 more walleye and 3 pike. all in all i cant bi*ch but no big fish. all fish but 1 were all on the same bait (not spinners) :D

Post subject: Re: Re: Opening report
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 12:11 pm 
Walleye Master

Triggereleven wrote:

I fully believe that the amount of netting and spearing , done by both natives and the commercial guys , has finally caused the collapse of the fishery in Quinte.

Triggereleven,

I'm curious, how many commercial guys fish quinte? What is their walleye quota? Do they fill it?

How many recreational guys fish quinte? How many fish do they take home every weekend during the season?

Not trying to cause trouble just curious what the numbers are. I legitimately don't know so I'm asking. Curious who really does more damage to the fishery.

Scott

Sent from my SGH-I717M using Tapatalk 2

West Lake Willows offers 8 cottages and camping at the doorstep of the famous Sandbanks on West Lake.

www.bayofquintecharters.com, www.pictonharbourinn.com, www.westlakewillows.com

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 12:23 pm 
Walleye Master

Dan,

I should have posted somewhere else don't mean to hijack your thread.

Great weekend and we'll done. You guys rocked it. Saturday night was beautiful on the water.

Scott

West Lake Willows offers 8 cottages and camping at the doorstep of the famous Sandbanks on West Lake.

www.bayofquintecharters.com, www.pictonharbourinn.com, www.westlakewillows.com

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 12:40 pm 
Site Admin

No prob Scott. Yes we saw you on the water as you passed by us near glen Is. It was a beauty night for sure

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 2:45 pm 
Walleye Master

nice dan

Post subject: Re: Re: Opening report
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 3:40 pm 
Walleye Angler

As I understand it, there is no commercial walleye fishing in FMZ 20 or at least the bay of quinte...I wouldn't worry about it Scott. Somebody got skunked and is looking for blame as to why. A crew had 34 fish in one outing hit....sounds like if you didn't get fish this weekend you were in the wrong place or had the wrong gear.

West Lake Willows wrote:
Triggereleven wrote:

Triggereleven,

I'm curious, how many commercial guys fish quinte? What is their walleye quota? Do they fill it?

How many recreational guys fish quinte? How many fish do they take home every weekend during the season?

Not trying to cause trouble just curious what the numbers are. I legitimately don't know so I'm asking. Curious who really does more damage to the fishery.

Scott

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 9:48 pm 
Walleye

Impressive catch on Saturday Dan! We didn't start until 4pm. Had intentions of heading to where you encountered the crowds, but after seeing the lineup, didn't want to get tangled up in it. Guess now we know what all the commotion was about.

banner ad