Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Sun Oct 06, 2024 11:22 pm
banner ad

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Student Fishing Trip
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:37 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

For the third year in a row, I took a small group of students from Athens District High School to the Edu-Cast High School Fishing tournament near London, Ontario. The tournament is a 2 day shore fishing tournment on private ponds, where approximately 800 students complete on one of the 2 days for the biggest 3 fish bag (bass, pike, trout combined). The top 10 anglers from each day, qualify for the Edu-Cast Championship tournament on June 24th at Turkey Point fishing with local bass tournament anglers on Lake Erie.

Here is a quick summary of our trip ........

Wednesday, May 30th, 12 noon.... We loaded up in the SUV, myself and 6 students and leaft Athens heading to London. We made a couple pit stops along the way to stretch our legs and also picked up some last minute gear at JB's fishing Depot in Toronto. Arrived in London, checking into the hotel and went for dinner and early to bed.

Not sure what driving school this guy went to ....

Thursday, May 31st .... Left the hotel and heading for the tournament site, Pleasant Valley Trout Farm south of London. After registering and the pre-tournament meeting fishing started at 9:30am. The weather was nice, but given the storm there a couple days before, combined with 300 plus students fishing the same waters 2 days ago, fishing would be tough. A majority of the students were using live worms on bottom or suspended with a bobber. My students used various artificial baits, until they figured out wacky rigged senko type baits were starting to produce a few fish.

By the end of the tournament, one of my students had caught 5 bass, a 2nd had caught one bass, a 3rd had caught 1 pike, and the other 3 got skunked.

We had high hopes that my one student who had caught 5 bass, would have enough weight for his top 3 to place in the top 10 and qualify for the championship tournament. And we were not disappointed as he was announced as one of the top 10 finishers!!!!!

Awesome, the 2nd time in 3 years we have had a student qualify for the championships!!!

After the tournament we took the back roads towards Mississauga, stopping at Port Dover to check out the pier and enjoy a Lake Erie perch dinner.

After dinner we continued our drive and stayed Thursday night in Port Credit.

Friday, June 1st ... The original plan was to take the students on a Lake Ontario salmon charter, as we have done in the past. We had booked 2 charter boats, but unfortunately the rain and 50 kph plus winds had other ideas, with our salmon trip cancelled, we made a few stops on our drive home, included Bass Pro arriving back in Athens around dinner time Friday evening.

Unfortunately our salmon trip didn't work out but a great trip none the less.

I will be heading down to Lake Erie to the Edu-cast Championship tournament the June 23rd-24th weekend, with my one student that qualified for the championship, will probably take 1 or 2 other team members along for the trip as well and hopefully we will reschedule our salmon trip for that weekend.

I will complete Part 2 of this report after we return from the championship tournament. In the mean time looks like I will be teaching my student that qualified about dropshotting and how to use a baitcaster.

JimW
Athens District High School

Smiths Falls DCI Redhawks Fishing Team Coach

Post subject: Re: Student Fishing Trip
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:25 am 
Walleye Master

Nice Jim, Congrats to you for supporting these guys and good luck in the finals.

[b][color=#00BFFF]Radioworld[/color
Proud Member Of CLOSA
Proud Member of LOTSA
MC Rockets
Atommik Tournament Flies
ITO Flies

The World is all about ass, you either kick it or lick it

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:06 am 
Walleye Master

Thats just awesome

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:26 am 
Site Admin

Jim,
that is an awesome report and great to see the nuturing of our future. Hats off to you !

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:37 am 
Walleye Wisdom

Am I missing something here?

You had a tournament with included Bass. Unless this is a post from last summer, you should not be teaching young anglers that catch and release of Bass out of season is ok.

BATMAN 8)

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:12 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

They caught the bass at Pleasant Valley Trout Farms which is a private pay as you fish place,I believe you can catch bass anytime.I don't believe there is a season at private ponds.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:40 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

BATMAN wrote:
Am I missing something here?

You had a tournament with included Bass. Unless this is a post from last summer, you should not be teaching young anglers that catch and release of Bass out of season is ok.

BATMAN 8)

BATMAN,

Yes you are missing something.

As Wayne stated the tournament took place at a private trout farm in several old gravel pits, on private property, no seasons, so you can fish for bass year round.

The championship tournament on Lake Erie is not until June 24th after bass season is open.

The students I took to the tournament are part of my Natural Resource & Outdoor Studies program, where in class the students learn about .... alternative energy and energy conservation, forest management, aquatic biology and fish and wildlife management. Each year we participate in numerous wildlife and fisheries habitat and research projects, and I definitely do not teach that it is okay to fish out of season.

JimW

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:04 pm 
Walleye Catcher

Great job jim!

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:11 pm 
Perch

Its always good to see kids enjoying some fishing.

Excellent work Jim, and keep it up!

Cheers!
Driven to Fish.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:56 pm 
Walleye Master

Nice to see some teenagers enjoying the outdoors instead of sitting around having a phone or Ipod stuck to the side of their face.

Good job Jim!!!!

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:52 am 
Walleye Wisdom

Great post....wish I had a teacher and school that offered such a great program.

Hats off to you and your group!

Cheers,
Paul

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:09 am 
Walleye Master

Wow, I think this is a great program.

On erie do they get to fish out of a boat or on shore again ?

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:59 pm 
Perch

What a great program and I hate to pee on the parade but I really hope that the actions of one Niagara Falls teacher don't end up spoiling this event for others in the future. The teacher in question was returning from the tourney with a vanload of kids and crashed into the back of a motorcycle. Luckily the rider survived (with unknown injures) however the police arrested the teacher for impaired driving. This obviously has nothing to do with the fishing derby but the way school boards and people react these days, who knows what they might do. What was she thinking?????

Read on:

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Crime/2012/06/01/19827681.html

banner ad
 Post subject: Whoops - Private Pond
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:56 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Trout pond, I guess I should have read the first line. Oh well, there has been so many OS threads, I jumped the gun.

I'll try to put all my expensive book learn-ens to better use next time.

BATMAN 8)

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:21 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Thanks for all the comments.

fireball on Erie the students fish out of boats, they are paired up with a "local" bass tournament angler and fish with them.

G.mech thanks for the heads up I had not hear of that incident, no idea what that teacher was thinking. Hopefully the incident has no negative impacts on the event, we could not afford to participate in the tournament if we had to hire a bus and driver.

BATMAN, no problem, I hear ya about out of season posts.

JimW

banner ad
banner ad