Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Wed Oct 02, 2024 11:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: snaps and line strength
PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:06 pm 
Walleye

I've been reading the posts under "I'm getting tired of this smell" and I gotta admit that I have the smell of the skunk on me more often than not, even when others close by have been icing fish. My most recent outing was to Huff's and I was using my good ol' Humminbird wide eye fish finder. I had a few marks come and have a look and then move off without striking. For me this seems to be the rule rather than the exception, (same thing happened near sherman's a month ago)

I've been trying to figure out what the heck I'm doing wrong; Here are things on my list:

Lure: I've been using a 3/4 oz gold buckshot a lot, I gather it's the go to lure these days. I have a big selection of lures and my best eye this year was on a jigiing rap at Deseronto before Christmas. I'm better at buying lures than catching fish :lol: LOL.

Snaps vs tying lure directly to line. Should I be using a snap: "Bass Pro Shops® Fast-Lock Bass Snap" with a nickel finish, size 2, 16 mm. long. When I jig fish for eyes in summer, I use neither snap nor swivel to keep the lure presentation as soft and natural as possible. When using an ice fishing flash spoon that's a hunk of shiny, hard metal any way, what's the difference?
I see that the buckshot has a nice smooth round eye to tie the line to, so I'm happy with no snap for it. However for lures like a swedish pimple: a hole drilled into the metal with kinda sharp square edges or lures with split rings I'm a bit worried about the knot strength. Past experience has suggested tying directly to split rings gives poor knot strength.

Going to lighter line: I've been using 15 lb. superline braid with a 3 or 4 foot 12 foot fluorocarbon leader. That line/leader combo seems fairly standard. They say that the fluoro leader is "invisible"any way.

My finger smells bad.
from http://advancedangler.com/?p=1789
"Studies consistently demonstrate that sunscreen, insect repellents containing DEET, soap, nicotine and human amino acids-even in minute amounts- can turn fish off faster than a coldfront."
I have used fish scent on line and lures on top of the live minnows that I put on the treble hook (mud minnows hooked through the head).

Cover more territory and use a flasher.
Well I'm 62 years old and I walk dragging a 4 foot pelican sled and use a hand auger.

Plan B is to cover more territory (and "run ' n gun"). All I need for plan B is:
a power auger
an ATV to haul all that stuff
a trailer for the ATV
a vexilar
(why stop there, let's add the clam type portable hut, the heater for the hut and the new floater suit).

Anyway, without going to plan B, I would invite comments, (perhaps PMs) on the following

[list=]should I be using a snap or swivel
am I right about poor knot strength on tying directly to a split ring
should I try more variations on putting minnows on the hook: 2 or 3 minnow, heads only, ...
should I try light line, e.g. 8 lb. fluorocarbon
[/list]
Thanks and tight lines

Pdubya

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:44 pm 
Minnow

if the fish are coming in to look it may be more along the lines of what you are doing when they come in . Experiment with different approaches - keep jigging as you were or sometimes slow down or very slowly bring your bait up off the bottom to try to get them to follow it up and commit . I think your gear is ok , I use 10 lb floro with a cabela's premium crosslock # 2 in black and usually a gold Williams wabler to good effect .

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:26 pm 
Walleye Master

Berkley Marinade :)

Post subject: snaps and line strength
PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:58 pm 
Walleye Master

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

West Lake Willows offers 8 cottages and camping at the doorstep of the famous Sandbanks on West Lake.

www.bayofquintecharters.com, www.pictonharbourinn.com, www.westlakewillows.com

Last edited by West Lake Willows on Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:39 am 
Walleye Fry

line makes big difference swivel or no swivel easier to change. jig hard pull your marks off bottom or make them drop down to you give them the buffet 2-3 minnow & a short stinger try huffs
:D

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:01 pm 
Walleye Angler

Apparently I'm not putting enough thought into this whole Ice fishing thing.
I'm not using any snaps or swivels,and if I want to change lures quickly, I just grab another $20 pole from the pile. ( I usually have 3 or 4 )
No scents or sense
Who knows whats on these things for line or how old it is.

BUT it's been working, LOL, best year ever so far, only 3 skunks out of 15 times out, and 2 of those where the morning.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:43 pm 
Walleye Master

Honestly it is just a confidence thing. Once you start to ovrthink it, you struggle. I use one lure, and one lure only. I simply have way too much confidence in it.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:51 pm 
Walleye Fry

wow that 's great 4 rods most of us only need 1 less to carry.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:27 pm 
Goby

I use heavy line 30 lb spiderwire smoke coffee all that stuff and I do well me I think its an attitude thing I dont care if I get a fish just glad to be out. Same lure jig 2 holes at same time buckshot orange only thing I use and cary on ice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:25 pm 
Guppy

I am just trying to learn a bit here ......no trying to be funny but how do you jig 2 at once .....one each hand or is basically just sitting ?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:03 pm 
Goby

I'm better at buying lures than catching fish, too!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:48 pm 
Goby

Ya 2 holes about 4 ft apart same lure sitting on chair works well catch a fish throw the other rod lol only once had dubble header and it was on salarno lake bit of getting used to but after no prob

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:55 pm 
Goby

I have my friend doing it to her first time out on ice lost 2 got this 1 first fish ever and yes 2 rods cant seem to post pik but 5 lber

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:49 pm 
Walleye Master

I believe if you have the right bait, then jigging two rods is crazy and nothing more than a distraction from concentrating on one rod. If you have confidence baits, then you dont have a confidence bait

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:55 pm 
Guppy

I agree with walleye wonder. Presentation is key and as much a flasher is number one investment don't forget the basics, keeping your routine constant.

banner ad