Tourism
Trailer Parks
Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Wed Jun 26, 2024 5:19 am
banner ad

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:57 am 
Walleye Master

Hello Mayor Ellis,

My name is Mike Martin and I have a concern with the Bay of Quinte trail along the Moira river. As, I was walking the trail this morning, I found it very disturbing to find a section, which is across the street from City Hall, behind the Cabaret establishment to be covered in blood. This was diffently blood from some person spearing fish the night before... Kids and elderly, walk this trail and they don't deserve to have to walk and see this, it's disturbing to even the average adult. I think that there should be a section, across the river that should be marked as a designated spot, for the persons doing this. And it should be enforced that this area be cleaned up daily, it takes a few buckets of water to clean that blood away and a few hands and a garbage bag to take the garbage that is left daily! And signs should be marked that no access to spearing on the trail, tax payers helped get that trail there and it should be for just that purpose, for walking, biking and such. I hope to hear from you ASAP on my concern . Im not out to stop the spearing, Im out to help people that dont want to have to walk around a pile of blood on the trail and think hmmm, "what happened". Thanks for your time and I hope a resolution to this problem can be worked out.

All fishermen should be compelled to clean up any signs of their activity.

Sincerly, Mike Martin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:47 am 
Walleye

That is an excellent Email Mike! You are 100% right in everything you said. Hopefully they do something about it. Good Luck.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:10 am 
Walleye Master

If I dont get a response in a day or two, I will go to the paper and show how our officials turn a blind eye to this ignorance. I have pictures and proof on this matter, like i said I could careless about the spearing..... it's the garbage we have to put up with while on tax payers/city land!
Mike

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:19 am 
Walleye Master

go down to that spot tonight with a spotlight and tell me what ya see

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:59 pm 
Walleye Master

I put forth a rightous effort...... and I clean up more then my fair share of garbage.... I dont agree with the spearing but I know it's a battle that myself as one person cant fight, the law allows it... trust me Ive sent my share of emails to the government. Your name calling is not necessary, I never attacked you or intended to insult you in anyway. For one, I see your racist in your remarks there Aboriginals of this land not Indians.... I try to get along with all but I know alot of garbage gets left behind by not just the people you call half breeds. My wife is one of those people you call a half breed welfare bum, but she works very hard for her family. Your lack of knowledge is your ignorance other then the fact that your right that the Government is the problem. And to call me a poacher how about I just say, I havent kept a fish for over a year, dont judge the people you dont know. This is a local issue, fight your own battle out there. Your angry is pointed towards the Government so what you doing about it???? And, WHERE IN THE HECK DID YOU COME UP WITH ME POINTING A FINGER AT FISHERMAN BEING THE PROBLEM, I just mentioned that all fishermen/women should be compelled to clean up after there activities...... Im not getting into a battle with you over the internet, so stop trying to alter my words and make me out to be something Im not....... have a nice life and I hope you can overcome being a racist bigot!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:06 pm 
Walleye Catcher

Mike I cant even respond to this forum with out getting up set and disoriented due to the last 2 messages from Haber. Let it slide....... I think you have done the right thing and have been very professional about it in the process. Keep up the good good sportsmanship. Jason

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:21 pm 
Walleye Master

I ask that this thread not be removed, this is an issue that is worth fighting for. I'm by know means going to give up this fight. I saw the look on an old man's face when he walked by that blood this morning and you could tell he was disturbed by what he saw..... prolly thought someone had been shot or injured..... Im going to call the MNR tomorrow as well, someone needs to be down there to regulate this, it's no joke. Eventually someone is going to get hurt down there as I know of people that want to take it into there own hands, I DONT PROMOTE THAT AT ALL. Some Aboriginal I know for a fact are great hard working people that spear to feed there people. But the downfall is a few take advantage of it big time. I respect that alot Jason and thanks for backing up a fellow angler!
Dan Elliot I can take the comments! I like to hear from every aspect and I respect certain things that Haber addressed.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:27 pm 
Walleye

Hey Mike, You stated about going to the paper, you should try CKWS as well. Some interviews with people going bye would really help the cause. I like the idea of setting up a spot on Coleman st. away from the walk way. Maybe with a little luck you may end up with the police patrolling the area to ensue the mess is cleaned up. A big thumbs up and good luck.
John

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:31 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Native or not you are absolutely right Mike. Good luck with that. As for Haber and his wife? I just hope there aren't any sharp objects in their house.

Ass Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:03 pm 
Perch

Lived and grew up in Deseronto for 23 years, and two Natives were my best friends growing up, so to call me a racist bigot, means that you don't have a clue on what my original point was, since you wanted to basically just pinpoint blame to just fisherman, not to those that spear and poach, and leave a mess. Also, my best friend who is Native, works for the Native Ban office in Deseronto. Yes, leaving a mess is not nice, since the boat ramp and area is near a childrens park. Also, just a note that in the papers and on the news, those Natives spear to sell truck loads to Toronto, not to just feed their people. I mean yes there are those out there that are not afraid of a little hard work, but you deal with the 55% Native population out here and about 50% are all on welfare because they know they can! Which is the same all across Canada. No one pointed fingers at your wife, or said anything about her particular habits, but you could tell by your comments that you were affiliated with Natives one way or another...either being married to one or being one yourself. I keep repeating Natives as you say to call them Indians is being racist...but everyone has called them that since the beginning of time....and it's no different then them calling us the "White man". Maybe to get your facts right. Yes We attacked you personally because there were a few comments that didn't belong on here...and its a forum...not the paper or the news. We are both from the area and grew up there, and have all of our family there...and whos to say that we ourselves are not INDIAN!
Also, to those that have made comments, read in between the lines, and not to just listen to what Mike is saying. Over half of the money that is deducted from the working classes paycheck goes to building houses, and providing welfare to Natives who get to sit back and think that everything should just be handed to them, with an issue over land thousands of years ago. I wish that I could go on a two year fishing trip and have the Natives pay for it, and give me a house for free!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:17 pm 
Walleye Master

My point exactly dont judge me without knowing me and I wont judge you!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:13 pm 
Walleye Angler

Wow!!! I'm feeling the love here folks!! :roll: :roll:

What a joke, the thread may be left here, but why is Haber?? More like "Hater" if you ask me!! :? :?

Colin Friel

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:44 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Had to reply, In New Brunswick, the native community are allowed to hunt and fish anytime but it is for the feeding of their family and those of the reserve. In campbellton NB anyone caught with salmon that are not tagged face huge fines. The natives there sell the salmon with no tags on the black market per say. They them self’s face fines as well if caught which is only right. Haber you state those Natives spear to sell truck loads to Toronto, not to just feed their people, maybe if things were handled like back east we might not have this problem. They are taking advantage of their rights and prospering immensely buy the sounds of it, are they sharing with the band??? It only takes a few to rune things but as it happens this is what we see hear of the most. When I lived in BC the natives would fish in Goldstream Park with bows and spears, but they would make sure they stayed off the walking paths and were courteous to onlookers and explained how and why they were fishing, it made for a nice outing and was informative as to their heritage.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:47 am 
Guppy

I agree the site is a disgusting site, right by the trail. But then, the whiole idea of spearing pickeral, a great resource, during spawning time , is even more disgusting, and basically shows how stupid we have become when it comes to protecting this cherished fish.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:33 am 
Perch

With the size of Ontario and the government cut backs its hard to police because there is not enough game wardens out there. When the Indians transport fish to Toronto its during the night so they figure they won't get caught. For every one that goes to Toronto, how many of those trucks are really getting through? So for that one to get caught there has to be either a rat in the tribe or an under cover cop or game warden. In Ontario, the Natives don't care about feeding their own kind, its more about making money and raising hell, just like contraban smokes and booze. When they do get caught, all they get is a slap on the wrists, there are no heavy fines. Just a waste of tax payers money to even do anything about it. By the sounds of it, we can only wish we had it the way it is down East.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next