Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Thu Oct 03, 2024 6:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:41 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Silverfox ,
I'm pretty sure you not need insurance, you can have it but it is not law as of yet.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:31 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

You do not need insurance on a boat,but it isn't a bad idea to have it.If you are fishing the tournaments you Have to have insurance then.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:50 am 
Walleye Catcher

Insurance is a must! You need liability insurance just in case something happens-you never know when murphys law will take over!
It's cheap as well.

Last edited by haybay larry on Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:20 am 
Walleye Master

Definitely don't need any form of Insurance, although it never hurts to have some Liability cover.

Don't forget if your heading out into the big lake you will need the PAPER version of your nautical charts...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:30 pm 
Walleye

steve-hamilton wrote:

Don't forget if your heading out into the big lake you will need the PAPER version of your nautical charts...

I don't know who this gestapo is that's hassling you about paper charts Steve , but that's bullsh*t. Although they are definitely a good idea, they are not required if you are under 100 tons and can demonstrate some local knowledge. I'm pretty sure YOU have the W end of lake O down. The Lift Bridge is a pretty obvious landmark. They are the ones who have been pushing to get rid of them so they don't have to issue paper corrections (only a downloadable update) for at least 10 years. If your GPS goes down mid-lake, how many guys could find their position on a paper chart anyway? Can't wait to meet this guy :roll:.....I probably went to marine school with him.

From Transport Canada

Carry and Use Nautical Charts and Publications

An open body of water may seem inviting, but remember that there are no clearly marked traffic lanes on the water. This, as well as the absence of signs that clearly tell us where we are, can make navigation difficult.

To help make navigation safer, you must carry the following for each area you plan to boat in:

* the latest edition of the largest scale chart (when available); and
* the latest edition of related documents and publications, including Notices to Mariners, Sailing Directions, tide and current tables, and the List of Lights, Buoys and Fog Signals.

If you are operating a boat under 100 gross tons, you do not have to carry these charts, documents and publications on board as long as you know:

* the location and type of charted:
- shipping routes;
- lights, buoys and marks; and
- boating hazards; and
* the area’s usual boating conditions such as tides, currents, ice and weather patterns.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 12:27 pm 
Walleye Master

merkin, not sure if you saw this thread but....they are still asking for the charts, and threatening anyone accordingly!

http://www.spoonpullers.com/index.php/t ... 546.0.html

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 4:10 pm 
Walleye

Saw that dude, thanks for pointing it out though. I still say it's BS. Don't these guys have better things to do. Man, the pussification of the world seems to know no bounds. Sounds like another one of Premier Dad's ideas. Guess I'll have to cough up the $30 and get the chart, but if and when I get stopped I will have some hard questions for those boys in blue. I think I will print off the regs from transport canada and keep them in my boat, right beside the chart. Picked on some lakers off the hammer yesterday afternoon for a few hours. Man non-stop action. thanks for the tip 8)

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 6:46 pm 
Walleye Angler

No that would be Prime Minister Dads idea as boating regs are federal.

The way its wrote up Knowledge of the area is sufficient as long as your not aground or asking the cop for directions. You could probably beat it in court if charged but Who wants to go to court.

On the other hand the regs being federal take in a lot of area where they have pulled a lot of aids to navigation such as the Trent Severn where a chart might be a good idea for boaters that aren't familiar with the area.

If you know where the buoys are, or if you don't and have a chart, then you don't need to have a buoy there at at all, maybe that sneaky Prime Minister Dad is going to pull all the buoys.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 8:01 am 
Walleye

For those looking for an online source for charts..... the Nautical Mind located on the Queens Quay in toronto is a good source. I have ordered from them before and shipping is fast.
http://www.nauticalmind.com

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 9:48 pm 
Walleye

The chart thing is BS, I agree. They also have to be official Canadian Hydrographic charts, not reproductions. So the $90 Lake O chartbook with every single Lake O chart in it doesn't count. It's BS since it's essentially the same thing in a bound format. As for local knowledge, I've had customers tell me that they were ticketed b/c they couldn't ID each marker in the area (eg. that red one there is buoy H7). There are LEOs out there that are b*** busters.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 9:49 pm 
Walleye

Radar reflector reg is the epitome of vague. "favorable conditions"? "size of vessel unfeasible"? Lots of room for interpretation there. I wouldn't bother on a small fishing vessel.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 10:50 pm 
Jumbo Perch

If you're not 100% of the regulations please keep your comments to yourself. It's confusing enough without people adding false information. Contact your local transport Canada, OPP or MNR if you're not sure. The Safe Boating Guide www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafety/tp-tp511-menu-487.htm has all the information you need pertaining to your size and type of boat.

Be safe and tight lines.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 11:03 pm 
Walleye

Also, I'll highlight an important part below that is often mis-interpreted:

"Note 2 – Exception for Flares

Flares are not required for a boat that:

is operating on a river, canal or lake in which it can never be more than one (1) nautical mile (1.852 km) from shore;"

Have a lot of customers who think they don't need flares because they're on the Larry. But the Larry connects to the big lake, so you could end up more than a mile from shore and are required to carry the flares.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 11:06 pm 
Walleye

Bottom Bouncer wrote:
If you're not 100% of the regulations please keep your comments to yourself.

The better lesson here is don't believe what you read on a forum. Believe what the official regs that you posted state. The officer won't care what fishcatcher9753 had to say about the law.

banner ad