Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Thu Oct 10, 2024 6:30 pm
banner ad

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:17 pm 
Walleye Catcher

I used the dam last year many times to cross over and fish from shore below the dam. I'm not surprised its blocked off and I was surprised last year when you could just walk across. If your have never seen the setup , it a concrete bridge over the dam that has a train track across it so the hydraulic machine can go right across each section and drop the logs down to control the flow. Anyone that has children would no want there kids playing near there at all. And what if you go across at 9 in the morning and then they need to slow the water flow at 10-2 ? Do you expect them to stop operations at 11 so you can walk back across to the other side to your car ? You can access each side from your car so now you just have to fish from the side you park on. Stop whining about logical rules and get a boat or fish somewhere else. Do expect the doors to be unlocked at the dam in frankford at the hydro electric dam so then you could fish out the window of the building ???? Really ? I don't agree with them saying the fence is there only because of the drownings but the fence does make sense for other reasons.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:18 pm 
Goby

I was very disappointed when I walked up them stairs and saw that stupid fence blocking the dam. Been fishing there since I was a kid like most fishermen in the area. Guess I'm not old or smart enough to take care of myself. If were going to go to that extreme, we might better put fences up on the 401 ramps. Probably should shut down Northbeach while there on a roll.
ps. Nice steelie in the avatar pic. Caught at Dam 1

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:16 am 
Walleye Master

Nice fish Paul.

I think I have seen every species of fish in Ontario caught there. I couldn't count the amount of times I have stopped and talked to people waiting to see what was on the end of their line. I can't do that when I am in my boat.

Here's another pic from there as well from a few years back. I walked safely across the dam to catch that guy.

Like I explained in my letter, all they had to do was block the piers themselves if they felt that was the issue.

Attachment:
Salmon Dam 1.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:59 am 
Goby

Yeah, that's the beauty of dam 1, especially in the spring and fall. That same evening with the muskie we caught 7 species of fish.(no walleye which was the target. lol) Hopefully with enough emails and phone calls they'll reconsider their decision.

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:08 pm 
Walleye Angler

http://www.quintenews.com/2012/06/drowning-prevention-key-in-trenton/30401/

Looks like this is News.

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:43 am 
Goby

We should be thankful to our politicians for protecting us from ourselves. Mother Nature has always had a way of weeding out the weak and stupid, and people who take unnecessary risks in the outdoors often find themselves victims of Mother Nature.
Following the Rick Norlock logic of fencing off the dam, all public beaches should be immediately fenced off, and Laws should be passed to ban swimming and fishing in all public waters in Ontario.
Remember this issue when it's time to vote in the next elections.

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:18 am 
Walleye Angler

I survived Lawn Darts and lead paint. I caught plenty of fish at the Dam (my PB a 5 foot Sturgen) and am still alive to talk about it. If you take the number of fishermen that have fished off, around and at the dam and calculated the percent of deaths over years, do you think it would be any worse than any other activity in daily life? Not likely. This is just a stupid attempt for the city to prevent drownings as the public attacks them for letting someone with more than normal poor judgement dye. To be really effective they would have had to fence off the entire area. But Chugbug is right about that being an area of work and not play. I was always surprised they (the lock masters) aloud anyone on them. I always felt like someone was going to chase me off them when I was there. I don't think this fence will stop the smart people from fishing but it may baffle the stupid people for a while.

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:48 am 
Walleye Master

As far as the workers on the dam, this applies to every dam on every waterway. Does this mean every dam should be blocked off with barbed wire? There's an awful lot of them.

I've stood back, gave the guys the room they needed to do their work of adjusting the water levels, waited for them to finish, then gone over and had a chat with them before. I never tried getting by them while they were working.

And if we are still here, then we've all survived all kinds of perils. Everything from almost drowning, near car crashes to illness and everything inbetween. Someone can easily judge another for a near miss, but we've all been close before. Some of us may not even know how close we actually were (thin ice for example). Some of us were just more fortunate than others.

Using common sense and respect goes a long way and the same applies to swimming there, or swimming at any another area that has fast currents for that matter. The people who lack this or who happen to have an unfortunate moment of lapse of this, are the ones who get in trouble.

And the rest of us have to pay for it.

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:47 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

They didn't block them off to stop people from fishing persay,they are trying to stop the young people from diving off the piers and swimming.

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:55 am 
Walleye Master

sorry guys, i don't know the area, but based on the photo's provided, there is no way that is going to continue....

(i know, I'm that horrible insurance guy here, but trust me, they are not going to allow guys to stand on that dam, at least how the photo's look).

It's the pussification of society!

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:52 am 
Walleye Master

"It's the pussification of society!"

LOL Steve, unfortunately I wish you weren't so right. I have only ever gone out on the piers about 5 times in my life, usually to free my lure and back off again. I'm just not comfortable there. My choice. I also wouldn't be comfortable standing on an I-beam 300 feet in the air like the steelworkers do building sky scrapers. Different strokes.

But like I said before here and to our politician, if they want to stop people going out on the piers, block the piers themselves. It would be easier than what they did and still allow people to pass over a 3' thick x 20' wide reinforced concrete structure. There has always been 3 strands of wire cable across the front of the dam with a red dot on each pier. Put the barbed wire fence there to stop people, not block the whole dam dam.

This is no different than walking out on a pier and fishing. How many fishermen walk out on a concrete pier to go fishing. Next time look down that smooth concrete wall and see if you could get out if you fell in. Should every one of these areas be blocked off like they did here?

This isn't just blocking the fishermen, this is also blocking families who walk their dogs and others who just want to get from one side of the river to another without having to use the train bridge just to the north of the dam. The beaten down foot paths are a testiment to this.

What's got me so pissed off about this is how it was handled. That, and where it could lead. Just because this particular instance doesn't effect people who don't fish here, doesn't mean it couldn't happen to your favorite pier, or dam, or rock or launch...

Personally I and many others did not like walking up to a 10' high barbed wire fence stuffed in our faces blocking our favorite walking path and fishing access point that's been used for 100 years. I doubt anyone would.

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:53 pm 
Walleye Fry

Can you guys post more pics of what has been caught here?? There are never enough pictures here!! I myself fished there quite a bit last summer and other than a few small bass never caught anything.

Shame it is off limits now due to some people not using their heads.

banner ad
banner ad