Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Wed Sep 25, 2024 4:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:51 am 
Perch

playinhooky wrote:
As for launching at Deseronto with a 23' grew that I am assuming has an inboard, it may be a problem.
Thanks to the powerloaders there is a big hump about 5-10 ft back from where your boat would slide off the trailer. The launch area closest to the dock is pretty much screwed for anyone wanting to put a bigger boat in. There is more depth tight to the dock so you have to get your boat right tight to the dock after it comes off the trailer or you will be stuck on bottom. There may be more depth more over to the far side of the launch I am not sure but you will need a long rope to get your boat back to the dock. I am sure the powerloaders will be here to defend themselves but what is so difficult about backing your trailer in a little farther and using the winch that is on the trailer that is what it is there for.

I did find that hump last year in the dark and gave some issues. I wasnt sure really what was going on. I found that I could back my rear trailer tires off the pad and leave the front on and was able to winch boat up ok. I would be worried this year of having enough depth to float the boat even from there. I guess I may have to take the Lowe and try it out with the small boat.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:40 am 
Guppy

I've got a 18' crestliner, not a monster boat but its a deep v and is a pretty deep boat so shallow launches become an issue.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:01 am 
Walleye Wisdom

The humps at the end of the ramps are not caused just by powerloaders , typicaly a motor blowing silt from a launch will move it well away from the ramp , in fact if you didn't have guys running there motors while loading you would find that to get your boat off a trailer you would be up to the door handles , If you doubt this go to Picton /wellington or any launch and watch what the waves do to the shore , waves pick up any loose sediment and move it out , next wave does the same thing , walk the beach and you have 2 ft of water close to shore go out 30 ft and you have a sand bar ,at launches Trucks , trailers and cars all backing into the water loosens the dirt and sediment and mother nature puts it all in a hump right where you don't want it to be when the water is dropped every fall , if you don't like the launch the way it is , take a rake and fix it , don't blame others ,as for county maintained launches good luck :roll:

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:38 pm 
Walleye Angler

Deseronto; maybe 8" of water over the top of that hump. I couldn't get over it and had to go down the bank a little ways until it was deep enough to head out. The hump is 25' from shore and runs parallel to the bank.

Last edited by MattClapp on Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:37 pm 
Walleye

TrophyHunter wrote:
The humps at the end of the ramps are not caused just by powerloaders , typicaly a motor blowing silt from a launch will move it well away from the ramp , in fact if you didn't have guys running there motors while loading you would find that to get your boat off a trailer you would be up to the door handles , If you doubt this go to Picton /wellington or any launch and watch what the waves do to the shore , waves pick up any loose sediment and move it out , next wave does the same thing , walk the beach and you have 2 ft of water close to shore go out 30 ft and you have a sand bar ,at launches Trucks , trailers and cars all backing into the water loosens the dirt and sediment and mother nature puts it all in a hump right where you don't want it to be when the water is dropped every fall , if you don't like the launch the way it is , take a rake and fix it , don't blame others ,as for county maintained launches good luck :roll:

If it was as easy as getting a pair of chest waders and a rake I would do it but you need more than a rake to fix this hump, it isn't a little sand bar or loose sediment it is 4"+ size rocks that would have been at the end of the cement pad at one time that is creating the hump. Trust me if I had a machine that could dig it out I would.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:48 pm 
Walleye

ballz out wrote:
playinhooky wrote:
As for launching at Deseronto with a 23' grew that I am assuming has an inboard, it may be a problem.
Thanks to the powerloaders there is a big hump about 5-10 ft back from where your boat would slide off the trailer. The launch area closest to the dock is pretty much screwed for anyone wanting to put a bigger boat in. There is more depth tight to the dock so you have to get your boat right tight to the dock after it comes off the trailer or you will be stuck on bottom. There may be more depth more over to the far side of the launch I am not sure but you will need a long rope to get your boat back to the dock. I am sure the powerloaders will be here to defend themselves but what is so difficult about backing your trailer in a little farther and using the winch that is on the trailer that is what it is there for.

I did find that hump last year in the dark and gave some issues. I wasnt sure really what was going on. I found that I could back my rear trailer tires off the pad and leave the front on and was able to winch boat up ok. I would be worried this year of having enough depth to float the boat even from there. I guess I may have to take the Lowe and try it out with the small boat.

I was there again today and got looking closer at it and I definately wouldn't try to put a 23ft grew in there. I put my 20 ft deep V aluminum in and I bet there was barely an inch or two between the bottom of the boat and the top of that hump. You got to make sure your motor is tilted fully up until you get past the hump. I have a 20 ft fiberglass cuddy cabin with an inboard/outboard as well and I wouldn't even think about trying to put it in there.

banner ad
banner ad