Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Thu Oct 10, 2024 6:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:28 pm 
Walleye Fingerling

steve-hamilton wrote:
every rod i put in the water gets a board on it.

3 guys 6 rods, all boards.

flat lines are only if I loose a board mid trip, which I did one year.

i had five boards and one flat line.

by the end of the trip, on our 9th day in a row, we didn't even set out the long line any longer...just ran the five boards, and went short one rod.

X2 Every rod gets a board. It's just the way I was taught many years ago and perhaps it puts the odds in your favour a bit. Every little bit counts sometimes.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:38 pm 
Walleye Master

Hahaha, thanks Walleye5. I'm actually someone who gets REALLY set in his ways - still using the same lures I used seven years ago....even though many others work.

I think superdad said it the best. You can catch some fish, or you can catch many fish.

The days that you flat line and you catch 4-5 fish the guys working their boards are getting 12-14 fish days.

when the fishing is tough, and boats are only catching 1-3 fish a day, boards or no boards, the fishing is tough!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:39 pm 
Walleye Master

oh, I should also mention, running all boards gives you a great "chute" down the end to bring in the big hawgs.

I'd hate to tangle a fish on a long line....

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:08 pm 
Perch

I hope you or your wife doesn't take offence to this but if you send her to get you boards make sure she knows that she needs to get a Starboard and a Port side board. I have been to Canadian Tire looking at them in the past and they only had the Port side boards which lead me to believe that either people were losing Starboard side boards or they didn't realize that you had to buy the two different boards. Also I ended up going to Gander Mountain in the States and got them for half the price. I like to support our economy but when you can get something for half the price it's really a no brainer.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:41 pm 
Perch

What is great about Quinte is the experimenting you can do... Although there's set things to follow, being newer to it, I've enjoyed tweaking the toys to deploy a little every year. And this year, nothing being done was quite the same as 3 years ago when starting to travel to BOQ to fish.

4 lines and every one will be on a board.
6 lines and 4-5 will be on boards, a dipsy in play and long lining in the chute.

This year core out the chute and the dipsy did quite well to pick up bigger fish. It was uncanny actually, to the point that now I want two passengers in the boat each trip just to have those options.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:30 pm 
Walleye Angler

Thanks PB Seeker....that would be a real F up.... if you buy two starboard boards, can you set them so that one is further out than the other, or do can you only do one out each side, and two straight behind the boat? I really know absolutely nothing about boards....I have two lead core rods, so if I put a huge lead of Fluorcarbon on it, that would apparently work too......

Thanks to everyone for their feedback!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:38 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

skunkedagain, go on youtube or google and search How To Use Planer Boards and you'll find lots of demo's, makes it easier to understand.
Good luck
Tim

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:02 pm 
Walleye Master

skunked, you can set upwards of three or four inlines out per side...just takes some practice and patience.

i'd watch how long of a lead you run on your leadcore. everyone has varying options on this, however, I only run 20' leads on my leadcore. some guys run 50' to as long as a full spoon of flouro. (75'). the shorter the lead line, the more control you have over your depth presentation.

hope this helps!

banner ad