Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Thu Oct 10, 2024 5:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Who won?
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 7:47 am 
Site Admin

Grizz,
You have hit a question that sparks pages of debates on some boards on the internet. What is a professional? There are no guidelines that lay it all out. In my view, which doesnt mean much, a professional is someone who regularly competes for money in competitions.

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 8:50 am 
Walleye Master

yes Dan I was thinking maybe it was something kind of on thouse lines. I can only think of the old ways of Olympic sports like you are an Amature until you except money or a pay off then you can no longer call yourself an amature and have to consider yourself a professonal .
Lets Just use G2 for a second...... And I will say first off WELL DONE G2....... but my point is now they have Placed in the Top 5 with a money pay off thay Must also now consider them selfs as Pro Class fishermen. Again . well done!!! ,,, but would that not oliminate them from amature events so to speak?? or is there just no rules reguarding that ? because i think there must be rules saying an amature can not compete in a pro event or is that Just not the case? Maybe in fact you need to break into the pro statis by first winning or placing in the Money on smaller tournaments such as the one they just won? And for the record I do know there was other fishermen who would carry a Pro class Such as sheldon Hatch and a few others who were in this derby. I only say this because I in no way want to take anything away from G2 here on a job well done. thats NOT why I asked this question They won and very much deserve the reconition for there acomplishment.

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 10:25 am 
Site Admin

Grizz,
Some tournament organizations have eligability rules that distinguish pro compared to amateur, most do not. Pay your entry fee and you're in. There are associations for competitive anglers like the one Sheldon and many others are members of http://www.npaa.com The associations promote competitive angling in general, aswell as angler education and some host tournaments. I was just looking around for the link to the Canadian Professional Anglers Association (CPAA)but cant find it. It may have folded

banner ad