Tourism
Trailer Parks
Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Thu Oct 03, 2024 6:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Brown trout.
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:17 pm 
Walleye Master

the dreaded cooler of death lol

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:57 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

lol grizz! were those stockers or naturals? they look alot smaller than the browns im used to catching..

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:06 pm 
Walleye Master

they are natural, we call them cookie cutters. all of these are 3-5 lbs. ya get alot of these with some monsters mixed in. here are some of last years pics

[img]http://i42[IMG]http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e323/chasingfins/3015_1048582983455_1492134035_30128.jpg[/img].photobucket.com/albums/e323/chasingfins/Pq2l69_9-b4a0118c3865761e92f86d10c9.jpg[/IMG]

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:54 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

wow nice haul of browns!! some tanks there for sure!! whats your preferred method of cooking them?? i like em smoked myself.. do you get them in the summertime ? what depths do you look for them

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:16 pm 
Walleye Master

cant go wromg with smoking. before they go in the live well we will take a pair of scissors and cut the gill. they will pump themselves out of blood in the livewell and this improves the meat taste. also if ya freeze them, freeze the gutted fish not just the filet. on the grill is always a good bet

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:28 pm 
Walleye Master

you can get them all summer long, most guys will fish for them in the bottom 10 feet of water with spoons off riggers in less than 70 feet of water

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:57 pm 
Walleye Master

I get a lot of browns off of scotch bonnett and salmon point out of wellington in the summer.

I think it is a sin to smoke browns. Smoke Chinook, but not browns. There is no better freshwater fish on the grill. Browns are absolutely delicious on the grill all kinds of ways, but try cedar planking them. Keeps them moist.

Here is a picture of one my wife got last summer out with me. (I did have clients out that day too. That is why I had my "work" shirt on. LOL. I always feel like a dummy wearing it, just didn't want you guys to think I wear it around for fun like a poser LOL)

West Lake Willows offers 8 cottages and camping at the doorstep of the famous Sandbanks on West Lake.

www.bayofquintecharters.com, www.pictonharbourinn.com, www.westlakewillows.com

Last edited by West Lake Willows on Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:58 pm 
Walleye Master

lol scott i said the same thing the last time cooking a brown came up. they sure taste great on the grill. will have to try them on a cedar plank tho.

dave

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:01 pm 
Walleye Master

Landshark,

Do you bleed out other kinds of fish or just browns? Never heard of that for fish. Interesting. I'll have to try it. I keep learning things from you, and that is just over the internet. Can't wait to get out on the water with you one day. LOL.

Scott

West Lake Willows offers 8 cottages and camping at the doorstep of the famous Sandbanks on West Lake.

www.bayofquintecharters.com, www.pictonharbourinn.com, www.westlakewillows.com

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:22 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

fisherboy_01 wrote:
lol scott i said the same thing the last time cooking a brown came up. they sure taste great on the grill. will have to try them on a cedar plank tho.

dave

excellent on cedar or maple planks as well :D

oh and if i could catch those chrome chinnys i would def smoke them!

what do you typically do with them after you freeze them whole?? fillet them while there still a bit frozen/

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:50 am 
Walleye Master

scott, as a general rule blood in the meat makes for a less tastier meat. you can do it with any fish. The bloodline in a fish is usually awful so if you just snip through the gills before enetering them into the livewell of death, they will just pump themselves out. red water turns pink and eventually clear again. :) If nothing else, when it comes time to clean them it doesnt look like a murder scene.

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:59 am 
Walleye Master

growing up in the fingerlaks a block from a great trout streem it made trout the main eating fish in my area....... learned to soak the fish in milk over night before cooking them. and usually we baked then would cut up tomatoes and onions and stuff there bellies. then smear Mayonaise all over them sprikle with lemon pepper wrap in tin foil and bake at 350 for 45 minutes. I no longer eat them......... once i discovered pan fish and an eletric knife my trout eating days ended

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:38 am 
Walleye

I've been using John Henry's Pecan Rub that is manufactured in Texas. A fellow who played for Dallas Stars brought some up and gave it to me. He is now in Floridia and I'm running out.

It is excellent on barbcued Salmon, brown trout and Walleye. I've even used it on chicken.

Any of you fellows south of the border ever heard of it? I would be prepared to drive down and pick us some if you know an outlet that sells it. I've tried e-mailing and phoning the company not having any success yet, but not giving up.

Let me know sure would appreciate it.

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:20 am 
Walleye Master

ive got some friends in texas im working on it for ya trav

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:37 am 
Walleye Angler

Landshark,
We picked up two more after we talked and ended up going 3 for 4 but small fish. I tried running sticks but caught them all on spoons. Go figure. Will probably head down again on Thursday but may fish the tribs. tomorrow or Wednesday. A drift boat we met on the way out yesterday had caught over 20 and one Atlantic floating the Salmon. Also Don Crist called last night from Marathon and heard someone died on the lake yesterday. Heard anything?
I agree that the small browns are delicious. My wife, however, prefers that when I cook them I grill them outside as she doesn't like the smell of them cooking.

banner ad
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next