Resorts
Tourism
Trailer Parks
Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Mon Sep 30, 2024 8:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:39 pm 
Walleye Master

of course you can continue to fish after you catch your limit...

just release your catch....

I'm very surprised at the amount of folks that think once your limit is reached you can no longer fish for the species that your limit has been reached with.

To further the above MNR's comments, I too have heard from three different MNR officers that taking photo's of out of season fish is not acceptable. But unlike the question of whether you can fish after reaching a limit, the question of taking photos of OOS fish seams to be a much more grey area.

Personally, if I catch a good out of season fish, UNINTENTIONALLY of course, I'll still snap a quick photo....i'll personally take that risk I guess.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:53 pm 
Walleye Master

steve-hamilton wrote:

I'm very surprised at the amount of folks that think once your limit is reached you can no longer fish for the species that your limit has been reached with.

To further the above MNR's comments, I too have heard from three different MNR officers that taking photo's of out of season fish is not acceptable. But unlike the question of whether you can fish after reaching a limit, the question of taking photos of OOS fish seams to be a much more grey area.

Personally, if I catch a good out of season fish, UNINTENTIONALLY of course, I'll still snap a quick photo....i'll personally take that risk I guess.

I still think that's a very gray area bud............ I have to hear that from a MNR guy to totally believe it. and reason why I say that More so now in ice conditions is I think its hard on the fish defiantly under very cold weather days outside of a hut . the harm you might do to a fish is lasting and puts much stress on a fish to be taken out of 35 degree water and taken to -20 do you not think a MNR guy might pop you when you have a limit at your feet ? Gray gray gray!

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:58 pm 
Walleye Angler

I would think -35 wind chill on a fishes eyes are a little rough and could damage them quite quickly if not put back in the water very fast.

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:17 pm 
Jumbo Perch

Grizzly wrote:
steve-hamilton wrote:

I still think that's a very gray area bud............ I have to hear that from a MNR guy to totally believe it. and reason why I say that More so now in ice conditions is I think its hard on the fish defiantly under very cold weather days outside of a hut . the harm you might do to a fish is lasting and puts much stress on a fish to be taken out of 35 degree water and taken to -20 do you not think a MNR guy might pop you when you have a limit at your feet ? Gray gray gray!

No he won't fine you if you release the fish, it's as simple as that, what would the fine be releasing of fish in unfavourable conditions, or I didn't think the weather was favourable to be practicing catch and release. The limit is based on catch and KEEP, not catch and RELEASE, there is no limit on catch and RELEASE, as long as you release the fish you can catch a 1000. As for a fish dying after release well as long as you released it in a quick and efficient manor your golden, the CO would have to prove that you were negligent beyond normal fishing practices, IE; booted the fish into the water

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:44 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

It's hard to believe some people can't get it threw there THICK heads that you can catch and release as many fish as you want providing they are in season,and you do it in a quick manner not doing any harm to the fish.If they die afterwards tough titty you released as you should nave.

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:42 pm 
Walleye

Really cant believe Wayne thats how you feel about our fishery. Catch all you want let them go if they die tough titty Good one. Clap Clap

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:22 pm 
Walleye Master

I think most people realize you can catch as many as like if you practice C&R, but C&R in a boat with with a livewell is a lot different than C&R on the ice or from shore. If a fish cannot be released alive while in a boat, it can be replaced with a healthy fish from the livewell. I'd like to see someone try to stuff a half dead floating fish down a hole in the ice.

Just a question for ya Wayne.... What would you do with your 5th dead fish on the ice, or laying on shore?? Remember, any fish not live released is part of your catch limit, and possession limit. It is against the law to release a dead fish!!!! Read the reg book Bud.

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:50 am 
Walleye Wisdom

Once I have caught my 4 fish I am on my way home,I do not sit there and continue fishing.I am just saying you can catch and release all the fish you want.

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:08 am 
Walleye Angler

This is from the enforcement division of the MNR, and specifically addresses the question of fishing after your limit, as well as a few other points.http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/en/Business/En ... tml#limits

If you scroll down to where it says limits, it specifically says you can fish after reaching a limit. (I think :lol: ) Still though, I also think its best to keep one under until your ready to go, just in case your next fish dies.

It also makes an interesting point about switching out fish from your livewell, and how it counts in your limit

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:57 am 
Walleye

Walleye 9 wrote:
I think most people realize you can catch as many as like if you practice C&R, but C&R in a boat with with a livewell is a lot different than C&R on the ice or from shore. If a fish cannot be released alive while in a boat, it can be replaced with a healthy fish from the livewell. I'd like to see someone try to stuff a half dead floating fish down a hole in the ice.

Just a question for ya Wayne.... What would you do with your 5th dead fish on the ice, or laying on shore?? Remember, any fish not live released is part of your catch limit, and possession limit. It is against the law to release a dead fish!!!! Read the reg book Bud.

Ummmm. according to the regs exchanging fish from your livewell is also illegal. Not saying it is unethical.

Question Re: Catch and Release fishing
I'm a catch and release fisher, if I go out fishing today and release all the fish I catch do I have to stop fishing once I catch my limit?

Answer:
No, there is no limit on the number of fish a person can catch and release in a day provided the season is open and the method of fishing is lawful. If a fish is caught and immediately released at boat-side, or netted and returned to the water as soon as the hooks are removed, it does not count as part of the daily limit as the fish has not been retained.

There is however a limit on the number of fish that a person may catch and retain during the day. If a fish is caught and kept in a live-well, bucket or on a stringer temporarily that fish has been retained and is counted as part of a person's daily limit, even if that fish is later released where a larger fish is caught.

This concept also applies to fish which are caught and eaten or given away; fish which are caught and eaten as part of a shore lunch, or given away are part of the daily catch limit and affect how many fish a person may catch and retain later in the same day.

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:20 pm 
Walleye Master

Ya, I caught that part too. Isn't that called culling?? Isn't that how most if not all bass/walleye tournaments are run?? I don't think a tournament angler weighs in after his first 4 or 5 fish are caught, and sits at dock the rest of the day. They keep fishing, replacing smaller fish with bigger fish.
I think the guy doing the Q&A needs to talk to the people that write the reg book...lol

This is quoted from the reg book...

Anglers fishing from a boat may catch, hold, and selectively live release more walleye, northern pike, largemouth or smallmouth bass than the daily limit, provided:
(a)
the fish are held in a livewell with a mechanical aerator operating at all times (see Anglers Guide, page 8, for livewell requirements

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:43 pm 
Walleye Angler

Good that you caught the descepency! If the Q&A person and the Regulation person can't agree, it just goes to show me that Joe and Sam, need to play it safe, cause it will likely come down to the CO's interpretation.

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:18 pm 
Walleye Catcher

Great debate going on here, clearly room for interpretation which is dicey where the law is concerned. Personally, I will only ice 3 walleye and keep fishing in case one dies (4th fish, I'm done). I do see a big conundrum in have 4 fish on the ice and continuing to target walleye. Sure you can C&R, but what if you bring one up that's going to die? Aside from foul hooking, lengthy time bringing in a big fish, bringing fish up from deep water there is a significant risk to the fish even being out in -25 air for minute while it's unhooked...eyes and gills freeze quick! It IS illegal to release the dead fish and it IS illegal to keep it over limit/size. I'd like to know what the MNR enforcement has to say about this. In all reality I personally have hard time catching 4 walleye :oops: On that note...if you have one on the ice over the 24.8" limit (or whatever the # is, I don't keep bigguns) you run the significant risk of 2 dead bigguns if you keep fishing.

Party fishing is clearly a no-no...but as for the 4 guys with 200 perch on simcoe...how the heck were they supposed to know who's fish was who's other than separate piles (they were in a boat I think?). That's ridiculous. I would've picked them out one by one saying this one's mine, I recognize his stripes. That one's his, it has blue eyes.... :lol:

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:30 pm 
Walleye

Walleye 9 wrote:
Ya, I caught that part too. Isn't that called culling?? Isn't that how most if not all bass/walleye tournaments are run?? I don't think a tournament angler weighs in after his first 4 or 5 fish are caught, and sits at dock the rest of the day. They keep fishing, replacing smaller fish with bigger fish.
I think the guy doing the Q&A needs to talk to the people that write the reg book...lol

This is quoted from the reg book...

Anglers fishing from a boat may catch, hold, and selectively live release more walleye, northern pike, largemouth or smallmouth bass than the daily limit, provided:
(a)
the fish are held in a livewell with a mechanical aerator operating at all times (see Anglers Guide, page 8, for livewell requirements

I know....worse than the collision regs right of way rules between guys fishing from pleasure boats
and sailboats. Obviously tournament fishermen cull fish. It would be nice if someone from the MNR could chime in on interpretation issues like this and Dan could "Sticky" their answers.

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:08 pm 
Walleye Angler

Back in the day when the limit was 6 , werent we allowed to have 12 in our possesion, like some for the freezer. We arent even allowed to have fish in the freezer, unless its less than four, and if we have four fish in the freezer, thats it, right. Unless you have more licences in the same address.

banner ad
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
banner ad