Trailer Parks
Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:17 pm
banner ad

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: What makes A guide ?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:05 am 
Walleye Wisdom

Very interesting responses! Is it nice to catch fish when paying for a day out? sure it is! but also I think it boils down to 3 main things, not in any particular order.

1, Comfort & Safety: I think its important that part of the experience be something that most guys don't get to experience on a day to day basis wether soft or hard water but at the same time feel like the guide who has your life in his hands is competent and responsible enough to make sure you get back to dry land in the same condition you went out in.

2. Knowledge and willingness to teach. Obviously someone that can do everything in their power to get you fish but in the event you cannot get on fish or multitude of fish you can walk away with knowledge that will help you the next time your out with friends.

3. Personality as mentioned earlier its no fun being out with someone if your personality clashes, so I think it's key to have a guide that can adjust on the fly to the many different personalities that are out there.

Of course all of this is subjective and is really a personal preference but in my opinion this is what I would base any of my "opinions" of a guide on.

Facebook: http://facebook.com/trophywalleye
Twitter: @pbandjcharters

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:15 pm 
Walleye

Well good question grizz.Well the last i checked you don;t need a lic to guide in ontario for hard or soft water.And i have to say to make a good guide you need to be a good teacher. So this brings up another question should they all be licensed.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:22 pm 
Walleye Master

Does anyone have any official web pages or info on any of these rules or regs...... my question is wouldnt you need some kind of business permit? I cant see how the government wouldnt tax you somehow right? Im just trying to help clear it up so people can understand if they are actually following the right path in guiding>>??? Would you need some kind of liability insurance or do you have your clients sign a waiver??? It seems that some kind of laws would be in place as it can be a risky job and I think that in some instances if someone was to say for example fall off your boat and drown, would you be liable for that loss........ Sorry to use such an extreme scenario but it is a fact that it could happen. Im just wondering and trying to figure it out in case I felt like guiding and would try to follow some kind of precautions to protect my livelyhood.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:27 pm 
Walleye Master

hardwaterwalleye wrote:
Well good question grizz.Well the last i checked you don;t need a lic to guide in ontario for hard or soft water.And i have to say to make a good guide you need to be a good teacher. So this brings up another question should they all be licensed.

We don't have a guide "license" here yet, but for soft water there are lots of certificates required. On the right hand side of the page at this link http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafety/tp ... f-2883.htm are all the requirements if you take any money from someone on your boat.

Scott

West Lake Willows offers 8 cottages and camping at the doorstep of the famous Sandbanks on West Lake.

www.bayofquintecharters.com, www.pictonharbourinn.com, www.westlakewillows.com

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:31 pm 
Walleye Master

Thanks Scott saved me alot of searching.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:35 pm 
Walleye Master

scott. thats mind boggeling lol . I read alot of that stuff and just got completely lost........... I ccan see what you mean. looks like once you except money for voyage you become a Farerer this is a boat regulation pretty much so it conflicts to a guide........ seems you would have to guide in a 12 foot tinny and still be liable im also thinking that many who guide even small boats do not meet the regulations as writen granted many cant take six passangers and crew on a fishing trip lol but guieding even one person puts you boat in a whole new catagory!! .... so whould it be a propper thing to ask before booking a trip....... Does your boat and crew all qualify to the Transport Canada rules and regulations ?? ......... Or shuld he just climb aboard and whisper. Man I hope this thing floats lol ......... so there is no such thing as a licensed guide per say. only his boat. captin, and crew are qualified, and certified as mandated my transport canada , this is what no makes you ABLE to guide by a leagle standard ? . I will add that im sure every boat out there has the safty stuff required to even be out there or at least they sure should have anyways! . bottom line then, your not a guide until money has gone from there hand to yours............. strange concept, but it works I guess!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:09 pm 
Walleye

Thanks Scott...this is what I am saying....What is a guide? ...Martyco I agree with you 100% I think there should be reg. for all kinds weather its soft or hard water....I don`t call these guys on the hard water guides they are guys that have ice huts to rent and say follow me around!!!! So anyone that is out of work for the hardwater season,when someone needs a guide, offer your services and rent out your hut and your time for some extra money. I would like to know if I hired a "guide" for the hardwater and they took me on some ice that wasn`t safe and I fell in would they have insurance if I drowned? What quallifies them to know what safe and unsafe ice is? Did they take a test on this? We know that Scott says they have to with the boat, to show that they know how to run a boat

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:50 pm 
Walleye Master

wow.... thats a lil harsh there Demoman lol . I think we can agree that ice fishing and boat fishing is like apples , and oranges both fruit, just like they are both fishing but going by what you said the same could apply to a boat guy as well....... for one. and I might be wrong but i dont think they have to actually do a driving test its more a writen test they would have to take and im sure if they compiled a writen test for an ICE GUIDE most if not all would pass that as well im sure . expessally with a lil study time. and when we are talking law suites you bet your butt they could, with the right lawyer anyone could be suited........... So a guy takes you out on thin ice you fall in,drown........ is he totally at fault ? a guide puts you on a boat runs you out a storm kicks up boat sinks you drown who is at fault? . this brings up a new question........ when do you trust, and or STOP trusting a guide ?? lets say you book a charter, show up at the docks there is 2 foot rollers and they say the wind will pick up later in the day......... is it ok for you to say thanks but no thanks id like my deposit back ?? ........ to some 2 foot rollers is nothing, but to someone else it might be terrifying , the same could apply to 4 inches of ice right!! I think its safe to say Trusting your guide to watch out for your safty and well being works as a plus when booking a guide you simply have to trust his judgement, or put on the breaks yourself and say no way im going out there or in the boat weather they say its safe or not! as far as I know there is no safty regulations when it comes to ice, none, zippo...... its a free for all.......... but there might come a time....... im sure if some were mandated we would all come on board as to not catch a hefty fine for not having the proper safty measures with us while on the ice. just like they are when out on a boat! I hope none of you guys are upset with my posts I really have no intent here i just find it quite intresting the many thoughts people have on guiding in general

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:52 pm 
Walleye

You have some good points there Grizz...You are right,your saftey is up to you...lets see what other people have to say on " What makes a guide?" and maybe I will get my answer on " What is a guide?"

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:24 pm 
Walleye Fry

Another important quality of a guide is one that has Safety First on the top of their list. I have passed up alot of trips because i did not feel comfortable with conditions. When we take clients out i have to feel comfortable with conditions. We are responsible for them once they hit the ice with us and until they are back on shore.. We guide on Lake Erie in Michigan waters targeting walleye.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:59 am 
Walleye Master

Well I lost alot of respect for one guide yesterday...... Ice fishing after one day of solid ice progress..... I agree guys watch who you call for a guide I know theres a couple inches of ice but comon now your going to start a frenzy..... people who dont know what to look for or just assume the ice is good because you were out there.........
I dont know Grizz I really thought Demoman had really valid points!!!!!
I have decided to try guiding with a friend this winter, and #1 goal is to keep clients safe and comfortable.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:11 am 
Walleye Master

I agree Mike, I too thought Demoman had some GREAT points. as have you........ actually everyone who has posted this thread I just said it was a lil harsh on the ice gods lol . . one thing for sure is weather its hard or soft water its still guiding weather you pay them 20 bucks a day or 200 a day your still expecting somoene to take you out, and put you on fish.... Another thought that pertains to the Ice......... Hut Rentals.......... if you rent a hut for the day does that mean you are paying for a guide. or just what it implies renting a hut set out on the ice ??

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:22 am 
Walleye Master

I just like to give you a hard time bud.... LOL! If I was renting a hut thats what Id excepect. If I was paying a guide then Id excepect more. Does that mean Im going to be a ICE GOD ONE DAY GRIZZLY!!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:59 am 
Walleye Master

Mike you ARE an Ice God!! lol , you always do ok just not when yer with me lol...... I just think the fish fear us and head the other way when we go out together lol wont be long now buddy I heared the ice building in my sleep last night lol ....... dont rush it!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:18 am 
Walleye Master

I married a woman with the last name RUSH!!! Married her to change that!!!! Patience is a fishermans best friend buddy, Ill let all the test dummys do the early work.....

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
banner ad