Tourism
Trailer Parks
Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: What makes A guide ?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:24 pm 
Walleye Catcher

Thanks for the kind words Grizz...lol.
You may hold the last report that the wizard puts up all do to "my very own words"......lol.
You are absolutely correct.. When there is a judge and jury looking at you because you were responsible for drowning their father or husband... then you are SOL...there is no signed document will say different.... well let me tell ya...Its will never happen on my watch. Cause if it does which it wont.. I will be in the hole right beside ya...Seriously.
As someone who has fished all his life (25+ years) I wont lie and say I haven't been trough the ice before. Cause I have and its damn scary. Its been a long time since I have but all thanks to experience.
Even before I was with G2 I had my own guiding business as most will know.
I was someone who shared the passion with other anglers and wanted to teach the art of ice fishing to others.
I feel that I formed some solid relationships with a lot of different people on and off this board. I have always been respectful to my competition and other board members in all my posts and replies even if I didn't give up my locations....lol.
I have made a lot of really good friends on this form and would really like to put them out there.
Quinte Prince, Spox, Derek, G2, Maverick, Grizzly, Stoty, walleyegohard, Sheldon, Landshark, West lake willows, metalicman and im sure a bunch that I have forgotten which im very sorry for missing here.
I can t believe that a simple post of ice conditions and what is a guide? has come to this. I always felt that we as guides have done our best in giving tips and ice reports that our locals and out of town anglers appreciated.
I am who I am as im Jason of Quinte.. aka "Walleye Wizard".
One more thing is I would like to thank my DAD for teaching me the art of ice fishing and I wish everyone a safe season.

Jason

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:34 am 
Walleye Fingerling

There are a number of licensed guides in the USA that have taken numerous courses that are more indepth and now that Canada is adopting its own plan of regulations some are complaining? Most of these people are experienced serious fishermen(women) who have not just dropped over $100k on equipment. Everywhere you look they have training courses to make sure the operator is "qualified". Yes some stuff is not really necessary but if you operate any vehicle, lift truck, crane, or weld, you must have the proper papers to do so. One is to cover your butt and one to cover your companies. If you are guiding you are probably your own company and like I said before, cover your assets.
Boats are no different than trucks running up and down the highway, they need to be inspected to meet all the requirements that are outlined for commercial use.
IMO

NPAA#975
www.chartertalk.com

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:08 am 
Walleye Master

West Lake Willows wrote:
I forgot to add that a guide should know where all the shoals are on the body of water they are fishing.

Scott

LOL Scott! Thats encouraged but not mandatory

https://kingstonsportfishing.ca/

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:52 am 
Walleye Master

Hey Bob I do agree with you............. and yes states is much tougher to get a guides Licens........ and we have both full fledged guides, and what we refur to as pirate guides (Unlicensed) I only have one friend who went the full route started from scratch with a nice boat thought it would be fun to be a guide so he took and met all the requirements nessessary. Advanced first Aid, radio, ship navigation. you name it he had to take it.... then when he found out to opperate the insurance was 35 hundred a year it ended his notions of becomming a guide cause he just figured thats over half of what he thought he could make as a part time charter captin on lake ontario . you can become a hunting guide in a heartbeat. its mostly based on advanced first aid , servival, and orientation. and to top it off your dealing with loaded guns and sharp objects lol . my gripe is more on the side of the guides so im not really complaining that they want people to go thru corses and training in fact i think its a great selling point and one that should be used by a guide who advertizes his services. I still cant help but to think does that really make a guide the one who can do and afford to do that as apposed to a guy who has fished the bay all his adult life . does deep pockets make a better guide ??? . the only way the playing fied can be leveled is if they make it simple, and affordable for the common man who might be laid off in the winter to carry his head just as high, and say im a licensed guide ........ I think its been said though there is no Licens to get........ However TC does say if your going to except money to ferry a passanger for any reason at all. thus except money for service you have to meet there qualifications and your subject to a hefty fine if you dont! ...... I get a feeling you can oliminate at least half the boats out there who except money for guide service............. to me thats just sad.......... because im sure they are all good guides, every last one of them. Do they all know advanced first aid?. doubtfull.. should they ? probably ! do they all use a marine radio exactly as discribed, and trained to? are they all trained ? doubtful!. should they be ? probably ! . I think after all this hooplah the best guide is the one you pick. how you pick one is up to you. and whats gonna make a good guide better is possitive, and negitive feedback so they can learn from others both from other guides, and the common guy who thinks they would like to hire a guide.
A guide friend of mine once told me,,,,,,,,, its amazing how someone would spend big bucks, take a week off from work, load the truck the toys all the gear and head to strange waters and Hope they will land big pigs. invest all that in a hope and a prayer where as with a guide you can jump in the car, drive to a destination, be carted out put on active and feeding fish spend the day catch fish for 1/2 the price of going it alone... with a heck of alot less hassles! ..... now to me that makes sence

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:30 pm 
Walleye Fingerling

Griz I like your thoughts and yes it can be costly to do something you enjoy. Profits really are at a mininum when you think about it. Here in SW Ont the avg guide is paid about $300-$350 a day. Now do the math at 100 days/ yr. = $30K now figure somedays you will spend $100 on fuel and then is your oil, maintenance, docking, and equipment. Not to mention the cost of your boat and truck. The cost of courses will vary depending on your location and schedule. When I got my MED-A3($400) it was local but had to travel to 4 hrs when I did the (SVOP) with motel, food and gas for 3 days, plus 3 days off work(approx $1600) To me I have peace of mind knowing that I don't have to look over my shoulder for big brother and I have done my part to comply. Now you will also have to get first-aid, CPR and VHF-DSC more $$. Remember the TC courses and VHF-DSC only have to be taken one time. Once again it is your choice as a guide-charter but you only need 1 mistake and it could cost you everything. Check everything with your insurance-remember they really dont want to pay out and that is when lawyer$ get involved.
As for being a fishing guide I enjoy it like Scott, good days, nothing is better, bad days I want to sell it all and rethink why I do it. I have been doing this for more than 10 yrs and have never had bad clients, some have said things I don't agree with but we all have our own opinion. Just like this topic of what makes a guide.

As a guide my job is to find out what my clients are looking for. Some don't care about catching fish, just time away from the job or time with a special friend. Others are looking to catch a personal best, learn new techniques or take home some fillets. As guides-charters we are limited by weather and seasons to produce these expectations.
That being said, those who are looking to book a trip ask your guide-charter what to expect and the technique(s) used for the time period that you be there(trophies-numbers-casting-trolling-jigging)
WE want your time with us to be memorable and enjoyable. An old friend says it is all about making memories. Hopefully we are successful.

NPAA#975
www.chartertalk.com

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:34 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Too hell with Obama , i vote for Grizz for President , :D

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:54 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

TrophyHunter wrote:
Too hell with Obama , i vote for Grizz for President , :D

To hell with Harper, I vote Walleye Wizard for Prime Minister :lol: :D

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:38 pm 
Walleye Master

to hell with it all I vote we go fishing. last one on the ice is a rotten egg lol Great post Bob. well said buddy! I agree with every last bit of it its amazing when you compile and colaborate in a discussion how much more clear things seem to be. our love of the sport brings us together, either as a guide or someone needing guideance it comes back to our love of fishing, and a willingness to bond with likeminded fellow fishermen!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:34 pm 
Walleye Angler

Grizzly wrote:
to hell with it all I vote we go fishing. last one on the ice is a rotten egg lol Great post Bob. well said buddy! I agree with every last bit of it its amazing when you compile and colaborate in a discussion how much more clear things seem to be. our love of the sport brings us together, either as a guide or someone needing guideance it comes back to our love of fishing, and a willingness to bond with likeminded fellow fishermen!

Go easy on the 'bonding' bit buddy.... :o :lol:

Be happy, take care, enjoy!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:16 pm 
Walleye Master

Crazy Scottsman . lol

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:25 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

I was shocked at what I didnt know untill I fished with a guide. I can honestly say it was the best $100 I ever spent on fishing. I hope to get out with a guide again and keep learning.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:05 am 
Walleye Wisdom

cantcatchacold wrote:
I was shocked at what I didnt know untill I fished with a guide. I can honestly say it was the best $100 I ever spent on fishing. I hope to get out with a guide again and keep learning.

I definitely agree, last winter I went out with several different guides on Quinte, since I had never ice fished the bay before, all were great guys and very knowledgeable. I caught some great fish and learnt more in a couple days about using my flasher, jigging techniques and types of areas to fish, than I would have learned on my own in years.

Just booked my first Quinte guided ice trip for this winter today, looking to pick up some more tips from the guides then try what I`ve learned on my own later this winter.

To the guides keep up the good work.

Hoping to meet some board members on the ice this winter.

Cheers,

JimW

Smiths Falls DCI Redhawks Fishing Team Coach

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:07 am 
Walleye Master

Great posts Jim and cantcatch. thats just what this thread is about Guides will be happy to see it and it gives people who think they know all there is about fishing something to think about....... thanks for the replies!! grizz

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:16 am 
Walleye Master

I'm "secretly" planning a "guided" trip this year so that the wife doesn't out fish" me on the hardwater,again! :)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:16 am 
Walleye Wisdom

I have also learned a lot from guides on the board. I like to gather knowledge from as many different sources as possible when learning new things. Looking forward to learning a lot more on the ice this year.

Grizz I have been chatting with Fisherboy and said that I would like to get out on the ice with you and him this year so hopefully will meet and chat with you this year.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next