banner ad

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: First Ice
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:46 am 
Walleye Wisdom

Grant,

I see you modified the wording of your original post. The original wording talked about how the ice was safe for you guys (G2) and not us guys. That was an odd thing to say.

I think Martycoo should re-tell us his story about how he fell through the ice. (Modified for Martycoo)

Anyone out today in that +6 deg weather is taking things to the extreme for sure. Quinte ice can disappear in a matter of hours.

Oh ya, bye the way, NICE boat.

Keep Safe,
BATMAN 8)

Last edited by BATMAN on Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:18 pm 
Walleye Master

My wife thinks im a fool for going out on ice thats 12 inches thick lol . Give the guys a break eh . its apparent they love to fish. lol......... common sence tells me they didnt just stroll out onto the ice like it was 10 inches thick .......... and im sure they didnt head right out to the middle of the bay without a care......... really what we are talking here is skill. knowlage. and trust for eachother as there was 2 guys not just one out there

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:04 pm 
Walleye

walleyebythepound wrote:
Crazy, brave, extreme, insane..... how about just STUPID! "profesionals" don't brag about doing dangerous stunts. I have lost any respect for you guys, and I hope nobody drowns because of your posts.

100% agree

be very careful out there folks the fishing is just starting..........

banner ad
 Post subject: Re: First Ice
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:36 pm 
Walleye Master

BATMAN wrote:
Grant,

I see you modified the wording of your original post. The original wording talked about how the ice was safe for you guys (G2) and not us guys. That was an odd thing to say.

I think Martycoo should re-tell us his story about how he fell through on early ice.

Anyone out today in that +6 deg weather is taking things to the extreme for sure. Quinte ice can disappear in a matter of hours.

Oh ya, bye the way, NICE boat.

Keep Safe,
BATMAN 8)

Id tell the story but dont want to take away from this thread..... BTW it wasnt early ice, I watched another guy go through last year in Mid season.
I agree these guys are extreme, but they have a business to run I guess, so being on early ice gives them an advantage right????? I think that spot you fished will be a different story come what I call GOOD ICE......... Cant see how it benefits G2 to be out there, Im not going to hold back what I have to say I was going to but somethings just need to be said........ Its not a good Role Model thing to be on ice like that bud, kids could have saw you out there, I know there parents are suppose to be watching but sh!t happens..... kids see you playing on the ice they think they can play on ice....Not Professional putting yourself and emergency services at risk in the event you do go through, even if you do take all the precautions nothing is 100%..... I cant believe someone tried to tell me it was a jealousy thing this morning...... Try more like CONCERN!!!! Whatever it be bragging or publicity for your business its not cool to be out on what I call 2" of sh!t ice, I dont consider that ice in the picture GOOD BLACK ICE!!!! look at it closer its full of air!!!! Prolly already said too much but O well that's my right and you have the right to yours!

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:48 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

No bad comments here, we should all have our own individual ideals of what we constitute safe ice
If anything I am envious, you have bigger balls than me :lol: :lol:
Be Safe
teppy

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:45 pm 
Walleye

Again I agree with Martco 100% This tells me that they will do anything to get fish....are we 100% sure that they would take us on unsafe ice to get fish. If your not familiar with the ice you will never know...like i say they will do anything to get fish.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:28 pm 
Walleye

Thanks for all of your input gents. I appreciate your concern. Again, and I am not sure what you guys aren't getting (aside from internet notoriety), I am allowed to fish where, when and however I want. Comprende? Read the post again. We are not taking clients one the ice until we deem every one of them would be comfortable.

Mike you and I have already had a private discussion about this and I thought we were on the same page. Obviously not. Talk about saying one thing and doing another. Role model? Dude... I spend more time educating children on the sport of fishing that I do on the water. You don't know me, you've never met me so save your remarks for something worthy or at least something that you have a clue about.

For the fourth time... What WE/I consider to be safe ice may not be considered safe to YOU. Exercise extreme caution when going out on first ice whether you are familiar with the area or not.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:47 pm 
Walleye Catcher

Ok guys, I've bitten my tongue long enough......
First and foremost.. "Martycoo".. how do YOU know exactly where they were fishing and what the ice conditions were????
COME ON GUYS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GROW-UP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We are just trying to share information.
You guys think it's all good and soooooo extreme to take your boats, that are worth more than the vehicles you are hauling them with, and try and smash through ice just to fish. Well last time I checked there is more drowning per year out of a boat then on the hardwater...And you are criticizing guys that have fished all their lives on Quinte about walking on "2 1/4 to 2 3/4" of HARD BLACK ICE..."
Yes that isn't a lot of ice and no one in any of these posts said it was safe ice to fish. Its a judgment call for each individual at any given time.
Look at some of the posts from last year and you will notice guys sinking ATV's and falling in when there was over a foot of ice. Its called experience and common sense. Years of experience will allow you to make these judgment calls safely.
As for "respect", you are entitled to you opinion and as for "Experience" well we are entitled to ours.
As for kids.. well Marty.. I don't allow mine to play next to the water at "anytime"....
Jason

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:00 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

WOW some people can make mountains out of mole hills,to each there own,if you don't want to go out on 2-3 inches of ice don't,but don't condone somebody that does.And yes i have gone through in 18ft. of water on snowmobile by myself so I know what it is like.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:03 pm 
Walleye Master

Hey. you have to admit what Jason just said makes alot of sence,,, well to me it does, cant speak for others but no one was there....... but if i close my mind i can just picture it lol. foot tap... foot stomp. sheesh feels hard. step out, foot tap. foot stomp. wow it is hard, shoot gotta go get my spud... back spud. spud/ spud..... sheesh is safe enoug to walk on. soot gotta go back to my car and get a pole, and a jig lol ........ these guys have experiance it isnt like they ran down the bank and did a snoopy slide out off shore onto the ice and jumped up and down lol . and I wasnt even there........ you guys get the visual ???? . all I can say is if Grant wasnt a guide you guys would probably just laugh and call them crazy so why give them crap for fishing on thin ice? ... hell my wife tells me im on thin ice all the time and im usually standing on concrete

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:19 pm 
Walleye Angler

Maybe you should read the post (twice, in case it didn't set in the first time), and THINK about what your saying BEFORE you say it.

Not once did Grant/G2 say that the ice is great, and everyone get out there! It was a simple ICE REPORT.
I guess a few of you missed my comment.....in case you did, here it is again:

"Even though we were out on the ice yesterday, we will not be booking any client trips for at least another few weeks. You can never be too safe when it comes to ice, so rest assured we will not be taking clients out until we KNOW for a fact the ice is safe enough!"

If you're not comfortable on the ice, then don't go out. Simple as that.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:37 pm 
Walleye

Well guys I think this has been blown way out of proportion, I think everyone has their opinion to what save ice is and for when people should go out and try there luck. And I no everyones has there own opinion and freedom of speech but theres no need to jab at someone who posts about a successful fishing experience whether it was a guide or a die hard fisherman early season or not. It's uncalled for and in my opinion and what Ive always been told you can never trust ice 100% no matter how thick, we all take that chance going out on the ice early season or late. Last year I posted on pulling a side by side out of the ice, he tried to cross the pressure crack at trident point not familiar with the area , when there was 15inches of good ice on either side, I did not once criticize him but I came to his rescue as did many other guys out on the ice. This site is a great community site everyone helps and cooperates on it and on the hard and softwater, theres no need for putting people down on any decisions for fishing. Weather depending I plan on venturing out next week and trying my luck I'll take all the proper precautions, call me crazy or not I no the risks. I'm envious of anybody who gets out and has a successful day when I can't be.
I hope to see many of you on the hardwater !

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:38 pm 
Walleye Master

Grizz LMAO, Snoopy slide = classic. That was hilarious, picturing that. Funniest thing Ive read in awhile. Accidents do happen, especially unstable current ice like Quinte. I know I tested my float suit last year. In my opinion and I respect all others, you are your own man. NOWHERE did it say run out there now and get some fish. Anyone with half a brain knows that the ice just formed and it is spotty at best. If you dont know this, you dont need to fish period. Maybe take up another hobby like crochet, it may be more your style and very safe for all involved . ;) Calling them dangerous stunts is just silly since you weren't there. You didn't see the ice.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:11 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

LOL at the commotion .. first off great job getting out on the ice and catching some fish Grant .. secondly, I know Grant personally and he's not bragging at all trust me, and if he was i sure as hell wouldn't blame him, but i see it differently then all of the others on the board .. previous years jason, derek, grant and I usually tried to find ice and fish as soon as ice hit, just cause he owns the g2 services now, he would naturally have to relate his post to the company.. the way i see this report was more of just catching fish and having fun, I don't see how a simple post could escalate into something that would have to have them defend themselves like this. Just as Jason said "Its called experience and common sense. Years of experience will allow you to make these judgment calls safely." ... the funniest part is 2 1/4 - 2 3/4 for us back then was a delicacy, :lol: ahahahahahaha

LMAO at Grizz's post :lol: hahaha let me know when your down to ice fish bud! , and you tell em Landshark! see both of you on the ice soon! :D

Aadil :mrgreen:

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:24 pm 
Walleye Catcher

Chris thats why we cautiously reported the ice conditons. If someone saw guys out there and no posts were added everyone would have thought..."Game On".. and just like most guys I see walking on the ice with "NO SPUD" probably would have not had a good day...
We are just putting up information on this site as its meant for.
Guess we wont have to worry about followers this year...
Jason

Last edited by Walleye Wizard on Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

banner ad
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
banner ad