Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: What makes A guide ?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:21 pm 
Walleye Master

there is another thread kicking around and it got a little off topic and many seem to be intrested in the direction its gone so here is a new thread for us to kick around a bit!
This is a good chance for people to cry out there oppinions on guides, the service and you oppionion as to what you may think is a guide over a good guide over what you might think is the perfect guide!!
lets not name names here Men lets not trash or put down guides or there services thats not what this is about, but yes please by all means voice an oppinion on what you might like to see coming from a guide this can only help some who might be less experianced in looking for a guide, and it might even help guides who read this thread to become an even better guide by offering something in there service they just might not have thought about or didnt realize it could be a defining factor in someone looking to hire a guide.
. enjoy and play nice lol . Grizz

Post subject: Re: What makes A guide ?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:42 pm 
Walleye Master

As a complex as this may be, It is actually quite simple. There are those who hire a guide to catch fish, there are those who hire a guide to gain knowledge. Personally my number 1 job is to make whoever hired me a better fisherman, if we do well on the water that is a major bonus because it reinforces everything I was trying to teach. There are those clients that may never fish again and just want to catch fish that day. In that case you just try to put fish in the boat. The other most important thing in my book is showing them a good time. I want them to leave my boat saying 2 things, that was alot of fun and that guy knew what he was talking about.

As far as what makes a guide, I think someone who besides all the legalities also can be a good teacher, a good communicator, a good sense of humor often helps. Each client is so different, as a guide you can adapt to that personality. For example if ya get a couple guys on the boat cursing like sailors and busting jokes then you might want to join them. They dont want somebody stiff as a guide. If you get a hubby and wife who are a lil stiffer maybe talk about how cool the sandbanks are. If it is a fisherman and he wants to do better so he can come out and catch them on his own, then I go in to detail explaining what I am doing and why. If you are confident in what you are doing and teaching the fishing will show it. Be a "people person" , show them a good time

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:26 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

shark :
very well set to type !!
couldn't have said it better myself :roll:
thanks for the words of wisdom
blue

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:56 pm 
Walleye

What makes a guide ? hmmmmm....Maybe we should start by asking " What is a guide ? " Is it someone that spends thousands of dollars on getting started ie salmon charter or is it someone that has a small boat worth $5000 or even an extra seat in there icehut? If we can`t answer this then there what would stop anyone that is out of work and has an extra seat on there boat or in there icehut charge someone lets see maybe $ 50 to take him fishin.Does this count as a guild? Yes it is about giving the client knowledge of what there doing weather its fishin or huntin and having a good time doing it. All members of this board can do this , so does this make them guides? So please someone tell me " What is a guide?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:15 pm 
Walleye Master

Demonman, what would you consider a guide? Also I am not sure what the ice requirements are but guides must also go through testing and classroom and fees and alot of things that people dont see.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:38 pm 
Walleye

I feel the person that put in the time and money ie testing and classroom with fees and insurance are guides. I would like to know what are the requirements are for the ice and do they follow them do they have insurance?. I know I have been on a salmon charter from a member of this board and yes we had a good time and I also know that he has all the testing , classroom and insurance , so yes I call him a guide. Now we didn`t get fish that day so in my mind it didn`t make him any less of a guide. He put in is time and money a lot like you do landshark. Thats a guide. Not someone that buys extra icehuts and a power auger then charges people to follow them around.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:57 pm 
Walleye Master

Intresting boys.......... everyone is right. is there a wrong? if a guide guides for tips is he less of a guide over a guide who has gone thru all the training, the licens, the insurance I mean other than the school of hard knocks, like fishing his whole life, tried and true! ......... Im sure there is world class guides for sure who could take you to most any waters and do well fishing,,,,, how does someone stack up if lets say he has lived and spent the past 30 years on only one waterway......... would you consider that person a guide if he hasnt signed up to be a full fledged brother in the brotherhood of fello guides?? as Demoman said. what is a guide?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:05 pm 
Walleye Master

I guess it is in the eye of the beholder then. Ive yanked a few teeth out in my day for people but that doesnt make me a dentist

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:11 pm 
Walleye Master

haha but you could always say you have dabbeled in dentistry lol . shark lets get us one of them musky fish eh! . wow.......

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:14 pm 
Walleye

Landshark....you as a " guide" how do you feel about people that go buy a boat or few ice huts then say they are a guide. You and other guides go through all the proper channels to become a guide, pay all the fees and insurace and these other guys don`t. They may say they do but do they have the paper work to show. I am sure when someone boards your boat you have all the paper work in order. The guy I went on the chater with posted on here how he was at a coarse up north and treid out the simulator,so I know he has it plus he is coast guard insp. If I was a guide I would make sure if I had to do it by the book I would make sure the next guy does. Its like any other trade the guy get is lic. for either a mechanic ,carptenter ect gets a little upset when they see a guy start up and take work away from them when they are cheaper because they aren`t pay for fees, testing or insurance.As you can tell by my user name I am effective by this in my line of work. We are losing jobs to guys that don`t follow the rules and can underbid us. Money talks and if you can do it cheaper you win .I am on our side Landshark.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:18 pm 
Walleye

Yes Landshark.... if you did the testing and fees then you too would be a dentist.lol Have fun geting those musky

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:03 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

A guide is someone who becomes a study of his craft. One who is as eager to learn as well as teach, approaches every outing with anticipation, tenacity, commitment, integrity and a humble appreciation for the opportunity granted him/her to make a living in the great outdoors. I might be wrong but in my opinion the most important attribute a true guide must possess is instinct. That gut feeling that makes him consistent . Because after all consistency is the difference between mediocrity and success.

Ass Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:01 am 
Walleye Master

I see a bit of a pattern beginning to form here the biggest being we would all like a nice guy as a guide, i mean that always helps when your handing over your hard eurned cash trouble is how do you know the guy isnt just a nice guy with a gift of gab trying to get into your pockets ?? I guess thats where a nice boat and good gear comes in handy . Demoman mentioned going out with a guide, nice boat, all the gear. NO FISH...... would it have been possible to learn the same over coffie at Hortons ? or on a form like this one right here? free of charge ? Man I cant stress enough I have NOTHING against guides, I know a few of them....... im just keeping the topic open and going as intended, I know a guide cant controul the weather, but do you think they tell someone they have been out five streight days and only boated 4 fish when your calling to book a 3 man charter? or is that just simply bad for buisness?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:10 am 
Walleye Master

Best guide I ever went with told me the best thing I have ever been told...... " Pay attention to every detail.... "

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:10 am 
Walleye Angler

A guide is number one a teacher. Being a retired school teacher and guide there is a strong correlation between the two. Just like each student has their own unique learning styles and needs, each client requires the guide to determine their expectations and desires. Communications skills are a prerequisite in both endeavors as is the ability to adapt to new situations. A teacher and a guide have little control over the individuals that walk into their classrooms or come aboard their boat so they need to be able to adjust to all types of personalities and maintain a positive attitude. They also need to have a good knowledge of their subject area and have various techniques available to share that knowledge and successfully transfer it to their student (client). This can only be accomplished by training, experience, and hard work.
Everyone thinks being a guide is the greatest job in the world. It can be, but it requires a great deal of time training, planning, booking, maintaining equipment, ect. and can be very high pressure when the fish fail to cooperate. Fortunately, clients and students can generally tell when you have tried your best and are generally appreciative of you effort.

banner ad