Trailer Parks
Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:53 am 
Goby

I apologize for bumping just my opinion...

Over the past 10 years of winter open water and ice fishing, I've quite literally tried them all. For a while I was really sold on Cabelas Guidewear, but in the end found them too be a bit bulky, particularly the jacket. Since then, I've run through Frabil Snosuit (very warm....perhaps too warm on fall days, and very spendy), the clam suits, Onyx suits, Gamehide stuff, etc. Finding the right balance of function, comfort, and price is a challenge!

I picked up a Strikemaster parka/bibs combo https://under-the-open-sky.com/best-ice-fishing-suits/ a couple weeks ago and had it out on Mille Lacs last weekend. Upper 20s for air temps, 20-30 mph winds, rain and snow....and the suit worked great!

Some nice features in both pieces that I like. Dual zippers on the bib fly to accommodate the call of nature. An extra, zip-able fleece layer on the upper chest/neck of the parka to help keep out the cold and keep the face warmer on the boat rides back to the dock at 3 am. Nice design on the hood to keep it from getting floppy or swallowing your face. In terms of insulation....the parka seems to have PLENTY. The bibs aren't as bulky as Cabelas or Snosuit, so I'm not sure how much insulation they're packing....but they kept me plenty warm without feeling like the Stay-Puf marshmallow man.

So, my initial review is very positive. Looking forward to a long fall and (hopefully shorter!) winter with them!

There are many interesting videos on YouTube on this topic.
https://youtu.be/M-qmuU-6Eyw

banner ad