Trailer Parks
Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:07 am 
Walleye

Good day all. This is my first post as a newby to this forum. I am relatively new to ice fishing in Ontario. We recently moved here from Alberta. I've been following your posts, paying particular attention to the ice reports. I had fished on the ice out West a couple times, but never considered the necessity to wear a survival suit. Once you get past October, the extreme cold temps there ensured save ice travel, usually ice more than a meter thick until the end of April.

Now here in Ontario with the warm temperatures, I can see why there is a lot of concern about wearing one of those suits. I have been looking at the different makes, but I have no knowledge as to which is the better one to go with. I'm thinking a one piece suit would be best. What do you experts have to say? Who makes the best one?

Dave

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:23 am 
Walleye Master

there is a few ways to look at that so there is a few ways to answer the question I guess.... Mustang is one of the leaders ut saying that they all carry a coast guard raiting to be approved and must meet that standard............ I guess there is a reason why one is more expensive over another lostly construction and durability one will definatly last longer than lets say a cheaper one but they are all subject to rips and tears depending on how you use or take care of them.
usage is another thing to consider how much you will use this suit and under what conditions, the one piece suit is great for hardwater fishing if thats the main use its perfect many guys who fish hard and soft water in spring and fall the along with winter will opt for a two piece suit because they seem to be more user friendly when on a boat often its very cold morning and night but if it warms up thru the day its nice to be able to take off the coat to be comfortable and not over heat, thats usually not an issue in the winter on the hardwater i have used both and both are fine my first suit was a mustang one piece my second is a two piece! but i fish 4 seasons . summer i use a speedo and a bikinni bra this keeps my friends from wanting to go fishing with me when its hot out! . lol. grizz

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:44 am 
Walleye

i'm newer to fishing the bay but do spend a lot of time on the ice

i have a 2 piece mustang because the ice is more consistent where i usually fish and i always use a portable and usually have a heater on so the hole and line don't get iced up, so i like to take the jacket off once i know i'm on good ice also i'm not known to take chances.

alot of the guys that fish where i do, and travel alot on the main lake where the ice is a little shiftier, like the 1 piece helly hansons with the suspenders because they can kind of slip the top off, also the price is good and it has a holder for their safe t spikes.

hope that helps.

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:22 am 
Walleye Wisdom

ya the older style hellys are really nice. FXR came out with some nice floater suits this year. They are ALOT morre manuverable than a mustang.

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:53 am 
Walleye Wisdom

Salus is another nice suit! They are a Canadian company right here in Ont. Scott at west lake willows can get them and they are very reasonable price. Worth a look.

Facebook: http://facebook.com/trophywalleye
Twitter: @pbandjcharters

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:17 am 
Walleye Master

i spend a lot of time in a suit......hell, i just about live in mine.

with that said, i don't look for brands, more for options....

this is what i look for.

option #1, and really, my only other "must have", next to floatation. - it must have suspenders.

you need suspenders to take upper weight off your back during long days on the water/ice. also, it is nice to ride with the "top down" when the weather allows.

So, after suspenders, i'll look a little closer. if no suspenders, i simply move onto the next model.

next i look for weight.

i'll take two sets, one in each hand, and feel which one is lighter. i'll always go with the ligher one...and often, the heavier, bulkier ones are the cheapest, and the lighter you go, the nicer, and unfortunately more expensive they get.

after those two factors, i'm checking the pockets to make sure they are lined with a warm material.

those who fish with me can confirm (or have a look at my photo's from december), I DONT ever wear gloves when fishing. i dont care how cold it is....i cannot work properly with gloves on. (check lures, change lures, reel line, etc).

as such, i need lined pockets to keep my hands warm when not in use.

the next option, which seems important, however, i dont personally see the big need, is the neoprene cuffs. all top end models will have them...but not a big deal for me.

Inside pockets are a must. you need to keep you digital scale and camera there....so they are up against the warmth of your body....no inside pocket, no go.

unforunately it is difficult to find a suit that matches the above.....without getting into $600 plus dollar suits.

My old nautulus nfs 2000 is still one of my favourite that i've come across....

when helly took over nautulus, they left out a number of things that made the nfs a superior suit......

Finally, more than ANYTHING ELSE, make sure it is a FLOATER suit, approved by coast guard canada.....none of this ice armor crap that isn't approved or doesn't float properly....

Last edited by steve-hamilton on Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:36 am 
Walleye

I've owned a few, Arctic Armor hands down

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:55 pm 
Baitfish

I have been researching flotation suits for the past year, as I wish to purchase a new one. My son and I both have older Mustang one peice suits. I have fallen through the ice with my suit on up to my waist, was able to pop rite back onto the ice and fished for 4 hours after that with alittle bit of water in the heal of my boot.
After a year of research I'm very close to purchasing a Artic Armor 2 piece suit. as I have found I beleive they are the best suit for the money.

Good fishin & be safe
Dutchie.

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:10 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Grizz has one for sale man. Buy that one. hehehe

Ass Monkey

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:23 pm 
Walleye Master

I knew it. I just knew it!!

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:09 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Guys,

During early, late or on unknown ice, I rely on a Mustang Integrity HX 1-piece suit. The suit is bright red with dark grey cordura in all locations where you might get dirty or might wear. (knees, elbows, lap and rear.) A 1-piece suit will normally have better survival specs than 2-piece suits. They are great when there is little snow and you don't have to drag a 2-man tent, power auger, and minnows a km to your favorite spot.

When the ice is good and the walking is slowed down by deeper snow, I have a red Artic Armor 2 piece suit. It has some flotation built in for safety. The suit is very light and very warm. It has big fleece lined pockets that come in handy on those days when you almost don't need gloves on. Oh ya, they have pretty good suspenders. They don't fall off.

The 1-piece is about twice that of the 2-piece.

I hope to be back on Quinte this weekend. I will be wearing my 1-piece suit, of course.

Good luck and be safe,
BATMAN 8)

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:19 pm 
Walleye

assmonkey wrote:
Grizz has one for sale man. Buy that one. hehehe

ASSMONKEY... You're a funny guy.

No offence Grizz... I saw the pics! Wow! Then again, a suit like that .... with so much experience... I could just let it walk by itself to the hotspots. What's the best you'll let it go for Grizz?

Dave

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:37 pm 
Walleye Master

None taken buddy.......... that old suit has been used and the backside has put thousands of hours on a bucket or a boat seat ,,,,,,,,,, you should see martycoos suit and its only 2 years old if you think mine looks bad lol ......... and you are so right about monkeyman,,,,,,,,,, he has always been a monkey here but we tollerate him and he has become more like a pet than a bother to us lol ,,,,,,,,,, just watch yer bananna if you ever fish with him lol !!! .......... BURN!!!!

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:20 pm 
Walleye

I have a 1pc HH its a bit heavy compared to the mustangs but has full floatation foam from neck to ankles to wrists which makes it warm and waterproof can kneel in surface water and not get wet. It has a high collar also with foam that is awesome. Two huge pockets on the front legss one chest pocket, one sleeve pocket. I've had it for at least 5 years and this summer put on my winter boots, normal under suit clothing and jumped in the pool, I floated and and then swam around for a couple of minutes and then pulled myelf out of the water. It made me look at some of the clothing I was wearing besides my floater suit. My goal after that was to cut weight in clothing i.e. boots, sweaters etc.. The draw backs of my HH its heavy and has no suspenders so my neck/shoulders do get a bit sore after a long day on the ice. My next one will have suspenders but I'll be looking for the full foam.

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:56 am 
Walleye Fry

steve-hamilton wrote:
Finally, more than ANYTHING ELSE, make sure it is a FLOATER suit, approved by coast guard canada.....none of this ice armor crap that isn't approved or doesn't float properly....

That statement would only apply to a used suit. Still valid but no longer issued anymore.
Department of Transport (Canada) approval is the only recognized certification for new PFD's in Canada.

banner ad
banner ad