banner ad

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:07 am 
Perch

Hey Guys,

I recently moved to Kingston and want to know where some decent fishing spots are located. I dont need anyones "secret" spot, just general areas. I live off Bath/Queen Mary, is the river near there good for anything? Or anywhere along lake ontario?

Any info is appreciated

Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:16 am 
Walleye Master

the river at bath road is going to be full of perch shortly if not already. Ive never tried it for anything else as its pretty shallow. Most of my shore fishing has been done west of kingston past amherstview or at kingston mills on the cataraqui river.

If you go bath road west past amherstview by about 5 mins you will come down a hill to a bridge. Its called the "floating bridge" and you can catch panfish/bass/pike pretty much year round and sometimes bigger game fish depending on the time of year.

https://kingstonsportfishing.ca/

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:21 am 
Perch

Thanks for the info! I am hoping to get out today if not later this week, I will try close to the bridge at Bath Road near the Hyundai dealership. Is perch the only thing I will be catching in there?

I also heard good things about Cataraqui bay from shore. Once again I appreciate all the info.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:24 am 
Walleye Wisdom

Got this off the site last year, hope it helps, I just moved here myself last sumer.
Shoreline Fishing around Kingston, Ontario
•The Collins Bay Pier off hwy 33 (Bath Rd just west of Collins Bay Rd) for LGM, Pike & carp. Also has a boat launch for small-med sized boats.
•Kingston Mills, top & bottom for Bass, Pike, carp, panfish & some crappie near the top.
Perch & Pike will do their spawning run up to the 1st lock. Perch have tended to be on the small side with the odd 8-10 incher.
Salmon will run up to the Power Station.
•20 minute drive north on hwy 15 to the Lower Brewers Locks on the lower side for Pike, Bass, carp & panfish. Small boat launch on the north side.
•Dog Lake in Battersea. Take Montreal rd out of Kingston (turns into Battersea Road), into Battersea, over the small bridge, first right onto Wellington Street, follow 5 min to the end. You'll pass a public boat launch (called the Shipyards). Don't fish inside that small bay as its a Fish Sanctuary. At the end you can park your car at the turnaround and walk 5min through the pines to the point for Bass and Pike.
•30 Minute drive just NW of Sydenham at Gould Lake. This is a conservation area, please do visit the link for info. (Fee/permit parking.) Trails along both side of the lake allow you to hike in to a nice selection of Deep shoreline spots. Small/Largemouth bass and panfish. Canoe/kayak rentals available.
•Drive north on Division (turns into Perth Road) up to Opinicon Road (then drive east for a bit), or go further up to Buck Lake.
•30 min drive from Kingston just past Gananoque off the 1000 Is. Parkway into Ivy Lea, fish off the immigration pier for Bass, Pike, Muskie, perch & Carp. Also on the parkway for nice perch early after ice-out. Good spots for bass, pike, catfish.
Lake Ontario near the KGH on King Street for Pike, some Bass, Perch and Carp.
The small bay next to the Dupont plant on Front Rd (King St. W.) for Pike, Carp & Bullhead.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:33 pm 
Walleye

The creek on Bath road near you will also produce mudcat and carp and the odd sucker and pike. It usually gets pretty busy down there

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:04 pm 
Perch

Thanks, I just went for a walk down near that creek, looks shallow throughout. I will try with my waders sometime to get out there for pike

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:45 pm 
Walleye

I've already been out in my boat twice over the weekend with no luck.....tried casting for either some near shore trout and a few lures to see if there are pike around.....haven't seen any fish at all yet and they are usually pretty visible where I am fishing....even tryed using some worm too see if the might be some perch or sunnies around....n nothing yet but as soon is it starts to get a lil warmer they'll be here

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:05 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

I went down to the bridge in Amherstview as well and tossed a few lures, nothing , mind you even last summer bite was really light as well. Not to much open water there but it is getting bigger.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:35 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

what were you fishing for tyler ?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:55 pm 
QUINTEFISHING HALL OF FAME MEMBER

I recall seeing some nice browns caught a number of years ago at the 'Floating Bridge', they had stocked browns in Parrotts Bay many years ago.

People have been fishing by the generating station in the spring, watch the rocky ledges (they're lure catchers).

I know the stream near the 'Celanese plant' used to have fish coming in there, I'm sure they still do into the shallows - cast with spoons.

You can always cast off the Millhaven ferry dock also.

Places to try from the shore.

Cheers

David aka Superdad

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:02 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Mat , whatever was biting (which was nothing)....lol
David, I did go for salmon at Millhaven in the fall (still new to it too) , but they were few and far between, in passing. You could see them flopping in the small bay near the ferry but no takers, used spoons and then tried smaller hooks with GULP egg sacks. I went in behind the Legon on Hwy 4 and went down to the water but still no takers, nice pools in there as well.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:32 am 
Perch

Thanks guys,

Where is the "celanese" plant...is that dupont or whatever that place is? I fished the train bridge there yesterday for a little while, starting to open up now. Didnt stay too long because of the tresspassing sign. Anyone run into trouble there with it or is it to scare people off?

Looks like a nice place when the ice melts a little more. I also went back into the river that goes underneath Bath Rd, I didnt cast but I am hoping to try in there this weekend for pike and carp.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:31 am 
Walleye Wisdom

The Celanese Plant is just before Bath.

Years ago, it was a great place for salmon and trout. They've since pretty much shut-down the water outflow from the plant and I have never had any success since.

However, don't let that deter you...I still keep going back there and can't see why the trout wouldn't return.

People still fish the Dupont shore a lot. Never heard of anyone being asked to leave and think maybe it's just to cover their butts in case something happens. In later May, we get some really pike and walleye fishing this area.

BTW - you'll hear it referred to as; Dupont Bay, Elevator Bay, Cataraqui Bay etc...here's a blog I did a while ago on the area.

http://www.worldfishingnetwork.com/user ... -9728.aspx

Cheers

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:52 am 
Perch

Hey Legacy,

Your blog was the reason I checked it out! I dont fish for salmon or trout much so I probably wont check out that plant. I came across your blog yesterday and since I am looking for pike and walleye I thought I would try it. Good to know they don't enforce it heavily. Have you tried the north side of the road? I was contemplating using waders and getting to shore at that side. Since I dont have a boat the only places I can get to are from shore. Thanks again for that blog as it gave me some good ideas.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:38 am 
Walleye Wisdom

Thanks Hawleywood.

I have fished from the bridge area on Bath Rd but not close to Dupont. I would think it must hold some good fish; especially bass when it's open as I've seen bass boats up there during the old CFT days. I think it's pretty muddy though so not sure how waders would work out. Sure would be interested in knowing though so if you do try, please report.

A buddy had a 14' aluminum that would fit under the tracks, on a good day. Can't imagine how the BB got up there unless they pulled the plugs to partially fill. Not something I'd want to try!

The Hydro Plant will also have walleye opportunities when they open too. There's some big gurls in there at night.

BTW - The dock at Edith Rankin Church (Bath Rd at Colins Bay) is also a great spot to fish from shore. Pike, bass, pretty much everything.

Cheers,

Paul

banner ad