Resorts
Tourism
Trailer Parks
Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:49 am 
Perch

Thanks Paul,

I will let you know how I make out, the reeds around the sides are all beaten down, so with waders I could stand near the edge and hopefully not sink in too much.

I dont know how a boat would get in there, I would be terrified to try if I had one. I will try that section between the dupont tracks and the bridge at bath road, I can walk back there from my place on trails. Hopefully go from one bridge to the other too.

I will check out that dock at the church, I like places where you can catch more then one species, whether its true or not I think it helps your chances!

I am seeing a lot of people use spoons for pike here. Are they hitting those much more then spinner baits/rapalas? If so I will use spoons a bit more. I was thinking of throwing a gulp minnow out with a float and letting it drift through, not sure if pike or carp would hit that around here.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:02 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

The carp fishing in that creek will be incredible in the summer.

There's actually a really small bay that comes in close to the tracks, if you go thru the parking lot of the Bayswater Apt. The apts. closest to the walking trail and heading towards Dupont. It's a small inlet and very shallow but can hold a ton of carp. I've caught some freaking huge ones in there mid-summer with corn.

As for pike...I've had days that they'll only bite on spoons; pretty much any kind, and others days when all they'll hit are jerks baits like husky's.

I've marked water anywhere from 10-15' deep, (depending on lake water level of course), right at the exit from the railway tracks at Dupont. My buddy a couple of years ago caught a 9lb walleye, 11lb pike and a few others too within an hour, fishing this deep hole.

Although I've never fished it myself during the crappy runs, I've heard it can produce them quite well with the float setup you've mentioned.

Cheers,

Paul

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:19 pm 
Perch

Good to know!

Love carp fishing because you are always guarenteed a fight! I live right beside those bayswater apartments so thats only a 5 min walk from me, looks like a busy summer there.

I think I know which bay you are talking about, right now its almost dry(I walked back there yesterday to check it out). Would I be wasting my time to go for pike in that area of the creek?

It looked like a nice hole at the tracks by Dupont, I will check that out again when its a little warmer. I am hoping to fish more behind Bayswater/greenview apartments where I can walk to. If I can find Pike, Bass, Walleye, Carp in that area I'm happy

This is probably a long shot, but any Muskie around this area? Probably not from shore, I know 1000 islands have them, but again I'm only limited to shore

Also do crappie run anytime soon? I'm itching to get out a couple times this week, not sure what I should be targeting in that area this time of year

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:13 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

I don't know about musky in that area...but big pike for sure right up to the bridge closer to the Ambassador. I've only fished carp in that inlet. I used to live in Bayswater years ago so spent a fair mount of time taking my nephew when he was young with a lunch and spend the day. Great place to take them in my opinion.

Really soon, you'll see people parking at the Bath Rd bridge to fish mudcat. It's a great spot to fish them and as for crappy, never fished for them there. However, I've heard others fishing them there with floats around the bridge.

Cheers,

Paul

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:28 pm 
Perch

Sounds good, Pike are just as good. I will be targeting them the most. How do you access the water between Bath rd and the Ambassador? Boat would be ideal but I doubt its possible. The tracks that cross near Bath rd look too small to go under. The map shows a meadowbrook park...that where I could go to target pike?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:46 am 
Walleye Wisdom

You can access the track area from the street that runs beside the old Harvey's.

It's looking like Colins Bay dock (Edith Rankin Church) may be open any time now....

Cheers

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:05 am 
Perch

Ok I will try up there for Pike. I went out last night near Bayswater and used a worm and bobber mostly, no luck. Threw a spoon in for a bit, but the water was really muddy and it was hardly reflecting, maybe when it's sunny.

I will probably be out again tonight, if not this Saturday for sure.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:03 pm 
Walleye Master

i have seen guys fishing by fort henry in the past when going by in the boat.
guys often fish of that bridge on your way to fort henry as well.
napanee river by the gas station gazzbo side is good for perch, mud cat etc, the falls have walleye in the spring, amherst island ferry dock, while ferry is gone, is good for salmon browns etc. finkle park past bath, the high dock by the ramp is good as well, many roaming fish, its deep sand out there, how ever not safe for kids.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:47 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Fireball has given some great suggestions!

The causeway bridge to Fort Henry was a fantastic place to fish in the evenings for walleye in May. They've since closed off the river side (West) with "no Fishing" signs and believe me, enforce this too and can get nasty!

The shore line of RMC has some great structure too with a lot of old cribbing going from the shore out to 15' of water. Look for the areas with the trees closer to shore as a marker when looking for these...that's how I usually know I'm close.

Good luck.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:54 pm 
Perch

Thanks guys, I will have to try out there. Can you just fish anywhere around Fort Henry? I havent been there but I didnt know you can go other then tours

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:18 pm 
Walleye Master

i maybe wrong, but i allways thought it was part of the frontenac trail (if thats what its called), it goes from lake ontario park, (st.lawarence college water front, to down town and past,. we used to all ways going sleding there, lots of people still do, i do beilive its city owned. worst case senario is as long as your not climbing over do not enter barriers, all they can do is ask you to leave. i used to fish out at the hydro plant for years, but have been told you can get a fine if you climb over the marked areas to fish (guy in a blue truck that came from the plant), so i have stayed away.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:24 pm 
Perch

Ok cool, I will have to check it out. I was at Lake Ontario park last weekend, didnt seem like much there to fish though. Too shallow and no cover

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:53 am 
Perch

I fished last night for a couple hours at the Dupont train bridge off king street, no luck, used rapala, worms, spoon. I havent seen any sign of fish yet, I tried up the creek farther near bath rd, and everytime skunked. Anyone else have luck yet?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:02 pm 
Walleye Master

fishing, is really tough right now, we have been, at the locks, the bridge over the cat, and millhaven creek,
i have seen guys catchin perch, just using hook and bobber, i had a good sized pike on broke my line, had a huge leader but only 10 pound line.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:51 am 
Baitfish

legacy,
I just read your blog about elevator bay. Thnaks for posting all the great info. Ive always been curious about that area and will most definitely head out there this spring. I had a general question to all on the forum and excuse me if this has already been asked, but has anyone fished the cataraqui river north of bell island up to the 401? I am lookign to get out on the new boat for some early season crappie this weekend and would love any input from the expereinced anglers on this forum.
Thanks
Albert

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
banner ad