Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 6:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:44 am 
Walleye Master

Salmon fever has got me!

Last week browsing Spoonpullers there were several teams looking for a observer for the tournament, so looking forward to seeing the top 60 teams ( it's a invitation only tourney ) from Ontario, New York, Quebec, battle it out for 20k first prize money I decided to try to get on as a observer. After replying to several of the threads I was contacted by Steve of team Get Bit out of Whitby and agreed to join the team. I had a guy get back to me Thursday night late willing to pay me and take me fishing on Friday for the pre-fish. I had committed so I try to call my brother to see if he was interested but no answer and he's heading for Rice lake on the weekend so he's out! Called a buddy and he's good to go.

My day on Friday starts at 2:00 am, too excited can't sleep. I'm in Whitby for 5:00 am, meet Steve and we head by boat to Toronto, start the fishing just past Pickering and the rain that was forecasted was holding off. A hour into it we're hit, nice fish fish 22lbs, I get the first kick at the cat being the guest.

We fish till noon, weather calling for the perfect storm to develop with 2 fronts moving in. We go 6 for 6, 2 shakers, one bow and 3 salmon, the biggest being the 22 I was lucky enough to haul in.

Friday night is the team meeting, dinner and the pairing of observers with their ride for Saturday, Observers fish from a different team than their own for obvious reasons. Great dinner and lots of great prizes for the draw. Ended up meeting lots of friends and acquaintances. Had the pleasure of having a few drinks and lots of conversation with Trannyman, this guy is a encyclopaedia of fishing knowledge. The night finishing at midnight back in Whitby where I had a room booked.

Saturday morning starts early 4:00 am, at Bluffers for 5:30 meet the team that I'm observing. And here's where my luck goes bad. There are 60 teams in the competition and some boats are 40 plus and decked to the nines. I find out I'm fishing out of a 19.5 footer and the team has 4 men and 1 son, about 9 or 10, so 6 of us going out was very close quarters. What about the 40 footer for the old fat guy to observe out of.
The winds at this point are about 25-30 km/hr. Not going to be pretty and I'm contemplating pulling out, and can't believe for the life of me why the dad is even considering taking his son out. To make a long story short early morning the winds die down to a acceptable level and it's getting hot and the boys are putting fish in the boat 2 at this point. They then decide to change locations so off the the blue zone we go at Port Credit about a 30 kms trip, it wasn't pretty got pounded to death, the move proves productive, 2more fish, biggest is 26, brought in by the young fellow, who happens to be a very good fisherman, watched him switch out baits run the riggers and even run the boat. He's going to be a contender for sure. They fish till 2:30 when all rods had to be out of the water. We have to be back at bluffers for 3, we're 40 kms out and the waves are 2-3 feet. I will finish this story by saying my head will still not turn to the right due to utter beating laid down by trying to get back. To say the least there were a couple of times I thought the boat was going to flip. The boat was a disaster by the time we got to the docks. Front casting deck broken in two, dash cracks, radio falls out of dash, electronics break off, 1 pedestal seat breaks, screws backing out of dash, equipment everywhere. it wasn't pretty. I can only say I will never be put in that position again!

To sum up, the overall experience of the shootout was excellent. The ride I drew was a different story. But I'm not going to let that tarnish the tournament itself. Met some great people and learned a little, so all in all a good experience.

The winning team boated 118 pounds with a 6 fish box.

[b][color=#00BFFF]Radioworld[/color
Proud Member Of CLOSA
Proud Member of LOTSA
MC Rockets
Atommik Tournament Flies
ITO Flies

The World is all about ass, you either kick it or lick it

Last edited by BigGene on Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:23 am 
Walleye Master

BigGene,

Good for you being an observer. I'm sure you learned a lot. Thanks for taking the time to report. Sounds like it was atleast an interesting day for you.

Scott

West Lake Willows offers 8 cottages and camping at the doorstep of the famous Sandbanks on West Lake.

www.bayofquintecharters.com, www.pictonharbourinn.com, www.westlakewillows.com

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:33 am 
Walleye Wisdom

thank you for posting an excellent report
very nice picture :roll: :roll:
i'm sure the ride back sure had you guys holding on tight :o :o
glad you had a good one and made it back safe and in 1 piece
as the boat did not fare as good

the ole bluedog

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:50 am 
Walleye Master

lol.........lol. and lol............kingston. neck masage. make it a happy ending lol

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:19 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Sounds like quite a day. I would love to do that sometime. Sounds like a rough trip but still would be a good experience. Nice pic to have anyways.

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:31 pm 
Walleye Catcher

All I can say is "it's just your luck" lol. Good to see you got a chance to haul in a giant dolphin. Looks to be some good table fair there.
As for a rough ride. Well you haven't seen nothing till you have been on our ATV trip this up coming weekend.
See you Friday.
J

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:24 pm 
Walleye Master

Hey Buddy that has been the only complaint the last couple of years at the Tightline's Shootout. If you come off a boat like Steve's (26' North Coast) you should be an observer on an equivalent size vessel. Some of us have complained about this and I thought the observer comparing system was going to change this year. Guess it didn't. Sorry about your experience.

We had a good week up until saturday. Won the box at the PWSFA tourney in Whitby, rd biggest fish on Big Fish Friday, but really struggle on saturday after a super day friday. But that fishing.

Glad you had a good time Gene.

Later
Al

Captain - Team ATOMMIK/Rockets

banner ad
banner ad