Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Fri Sep 13, 2024 2:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
 Post subject: Beauty Day At The Bonnet
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:01 am 
Walleye Master

I had the distinct pleasure of getting out on Friday with Trannyman out on Lake O. Al had given me a call and asked if I would join him. Who would say no!

The weather forecast was good and fishing pressure would be down from the bad winds over the last few days. We headed out around 5:30 and surveyed a couple areas before the Bonnet, they didn't look good. So, off we go. The winds were higher than forecasted with 2 footers first thing in the morning swelling to 4-5 footers later in the day. But that wasn't going to slow us down.

We were setup and were hard at it by 6:30, we fished maybe a hour when bang the first rigger goes off. Al says it all yours, geez thanks man, and I grab on and proceed to bring it in, ended up being a nice 22 lber. Measure it for Al's records 32 inches.

The first was then followed up by steady hookups throughout the morning, we went 5 for 5. The best one was the one we picked it up, came with the copper rod, grab it and Bam, starts to spool me 200,300,400 until finally 800 feet back. I now at least have it stopped, this thing is a tank, I can't gain anything on it and it's not moving, after several minutes it's decided we'll have to back down on it, so after a bicep burning experience, I change arms and shake out my tired one ( Al has a little chuckle ) and back to trying to bring this critter home, after what seemed like a eternity we finally are gaining ground on the monster of the deep, I see the spin doctor and say to Al I think it's fouled hooked, he says no, it's mouth hooked, well the great fight finishes and the monster turns out to be the small one of the day 18lbs, 30 inches , it was foul hooked ( in the back ) but gave us a great fight.

All in all it was a great morning, we seem to be doing much better than the other boats out there, only one fish reported between maybe 10 boats, fished 130 feet of water with all fish coming in at the 70-80 foot range, the hot ticket was running M C Rockets, 4 of 5 were caught on rockets, the 5th one came from a spin doctor/fly green combo.

I just have to say thanks to Al, for the invite and the lessons learned from fishing with a true Salmon Guy, Al, your knowledge and skills are unequaled. I look forward to the next time!

Thanks, Gene

[b][color=#00BFFF]Radioworld[/color
Proud Member Of CLOSA
Proud Member of LOTSA
MC Rockets
Atommik Tournament Flies
ITO Flies

The World is all about ass, you either kick it or lick it

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:20 am 
Walleye Catcher

Awesome fish guys. Seems Al knows how to whisper to those fish. Just wondering where the first mate was????? Maybe he was left at the dock??? Lol
Just kidding. Great haul guys, sure looks like a lot of fun.
Jason

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:30 am 
Walleye Master

good work guys, ill be out in a little bit, weather report last night had us sleep in!!!!!!!!

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:37 am 
Walleye Master

Beauty day indeed. Those are nice looking fish for sure.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:18 am 
Walleye Master

looks like alot of fun !

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:06 pm 
Walleye Master

Nice work guys.

Al is a magician out there. One of, if not the most experienced guy out of wellington. I have learned a lot from him.

Years ago when I saw him on spoonpullers, I offered him a free cottage on West Lake in return for a day or two out on Lake O to learn a few tricks. He wrote back saying he'd be happy to go out with me but he wouldn't take me up on a cottage on west lake as he owned a home on West Lake. LOL. Small world, good guy, great fisherman.

Scott

West Lake Willows offers 8 cottages and camping at the doorstep of the famous Sandbanks on West Lake.

www.bayofquintecharters.com, www.pictonharbourinn.com, www.westlakewillows.com

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:26 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

great report.

I'm definitely jealous reading as I take a break from renovating my bathroom, not quite as much fun as salmon fishing.

jimW

Smiths Falls DCI Redhawks Fishing Team Coach

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:42 pm 
Walleye Master

the first mate was working his butt off. we now see who the lazy old farts are who can afford to fish durring a work week lol....... good job guys.......... by the way Gene you owe Al a new Brand new Black Dipsy diver snubber. and spin Dr.... you let your fish weaken the wire and it somehow got lost today in the bottom of the lake! . And thats all I got to say about that! *In my best forest gump voice*

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:13 pm 
Walleye Angler

Thanks for the report guys
How we're the fleas?

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:25 pm 
Walleye Master

how you guys do today grizz

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:36 pm 
Walleye Master

today was pretty tough, fleas wernt as bad but the fishing was a tad slow. did manage a nice one almost 29 lbs. and a 10 pound brown. one teenager and a few misses. kenny did a lil chumin lol got pretty hot out there...... saw about 500 smelt floating on the top. I think the salmon are stuffed and fed most the night. who knows! . all in all another good day for the most part

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:07 pm 
Walleye Master

yep

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:48 pm 
Walleye Master

Good on you guys chasing some more up today. Al, next time you'll have to check the equipment yourself, looks to me like the first mate may have been a bit derelict in his duties. LOL. Just kidding, did you happen to get a pic of the 29? would be nice to see.

[b][color=#00BFFF]Radioworld[/color
Proud Member Of CLOSA
Proud Member of LOTSA
MC Rockets
Atommik Tournament Flies
ITO Flies

The World is all about ass, you either kick it or lick it

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:50 pm 
Walleye Angler

JimW wrote:
great report.

I'm definitely jealous reading as I take a break from renovating my bathroom, not quite as much fun as salmon fishing.

jimW

I know just what you mean Jim, I have been off work sick and spent all last week in the Belleville Hospital looking out the window at the bay watching all you guys blast around. Talk about being so close, but yet so far away. I have one more week off of recoverey and would love to get out for some of those Big boys.

That's some nice Fish Bro. Not surprised those fish fighting arms are out of shape. teehee

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:09 pm 
Walleye Master

-Dave- wrote:
how you guys do today grizz

It was a tough bite all along the north shore today. That little 28.30 made the board in 9th place, but won't be there long.

In Whitby tonight and getting ready for the PWSFA tourney tomorrow.
Then derby fishing monday thru wednesday and then pre-fishing thursday & friday for the presitgious Tightlines Shootout on saturday.

Gene it was great fishing with you. You did a great job on the rods but that foul hooked fish pushed you to the limit. :D :D

Later
Al

Captain - Team ATOMMIK/Rockets

banner ad