Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Tue Sep 24, 2024 12:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:58 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

I'm buying a VHF radio this week to put on my boat in case of any more emergencies on the big water.

Most of my fishing is on smaller in-land lakes where it will be of no use.

A handheld unit with be easier and I don't need to install the 8 foot antenna, which is my main reason for considering a handheld over a mounted unit.

Just looking for opinions?

Does the 5 watt max power of a handheld really limit the transmit/reception distance making it not very useful?

And therefore mounted is the way to go? Or are the handhelds decent for reception?

thanks

JimW

Smiths Falls DCI Redhawks Fishing Team Coach

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:04 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

i have both,unidens,the handheld is pretty useless good if your in the harbour tlking to the harbor master -range is limited,the full mount 25w is the way to go for sure -dont waste your money on a handheld unit-experience and wasted dollars talking here

email:ed_mackenzie_2009@hotmail.com

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:00 pm 
Walleye Master

Chasin eyes is pretty well spot on!!

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:28 pm 
Walleye

i only have a handheld as it made more sense for me. mine is a 6 watt and it was higher end.

i do a lot of sailing and we are out when it's pretty rough, no doubt the higher watt mounted one with the big antenna will transmit further but if your in the water while your boat and radio are moving faster then u can swim or the radio is mounted down below and the cabin is full of water, or the waves have been pounding u and u break an antenna and have no spare a handheld on your person is a great idea.

i believe coast guard radio has transmitters to relay the weaker signal, my sailing club was trying to hail me once and it wasn't coming thru but i could transmit with coast guard radio and they relayed me the info.

I sail out of scarboro bluffs and on some days can hear people from leslie spit to frenchmans bay as long as they are offshore but usually the range is less then that.

hope this helps.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:47 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

If it were me and I started out with the same statement as you,
Quote:
case of any more emergencies on the big water.

I would be going with the mount and more power.
To get out farther with a radio you need to double the power to get out 2x's more.
ie: 5 watts 10 miles in theory to double that you need to add 2x's 5 watts plus 5 watts to go twice as far.
So 15 watts is what you need to go the double of 5 watts.
So 25 watts will put you out about 1.25 times farther than 5 watts.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:03 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

thanks for the comments....... looks like I will go with the mounted unit ad 8 foot antenna

Jim

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:50 am 
Walleye Catcher

You are making the right decision. I bought my antenna at the chandlery in Ottawa near Britania strip mall. I bought thr radio on-line. both were good deals.

Larry

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:38 am 
Jumbo Perch

Just a quick question...I had heard about having to be licensed to use the radio's.....but what if you are just listening to weather reports and whatnot, do you still need a license? The regs do not seem to clear to me. I have one on my new boat but don't really want to take a 2 day course that costs $300 so I can check the weather when I am out fishing. Anyone have any input or better understanding of the rules?

Thanks

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:28 am 
Walleye Master

My understanding is the operator of the boat needs RROC (Restricted Radio Operator's Certificate) if there is a radio in the boat. There is some grey area if the radio is not on, but if the radio is on you definitely need a license.

I just found out if you are in US waters with a vhf you also need a station license. In Canada we do not need that. Any of our South shore friends have anymore information on that?

Scott

West Lake Willows offers 8 cottages and camping at the doorstep of the famous Sandbanks on West Lake.

www.bayofquintecharters.com, www.pictonharbourinn.com, www.westlakewillows.com

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:09 am 
Walleye Wisdom

There is much debate about this. But the way i understand it you don't need a licence to have a radio or monitor stations. You do need one to use the radio exept in the situation of receiving a mayday call. In that case you are obligated by law to answer and assist if necessary as well as call for help. I would still reccomend taking the course. I am going to as well.

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:08 am 
Walleye Wisdom

my understanding was you do not need the licence if you are not in can/US border waters.

I purchased the fixed mount vhf radio and antenna earlier this week, have not installed yet.

I plan on taking the vhf course this fall anyways.

I also picked up a marine stereo for the boat and a pair of Scotty electric downriggers, a new planer board rod .... the wife will be surprized when see gets home from holidays :)

Jim

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:56 am 
Walleye Wisdom

Nice. I love new toys. Especially fishing stuff. You'll be busy installing all that stuff.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:10 am 
Walleye Angler

Interesting notes. I just came bcak from Haida Gwai (Queen Charlolette Islands) with no mention of anyone having to have a licence on a fleet of rental boats plying the ocean at a few different lodges. I know there is something to note, but am unsure as to how it is regulated/monitored. Better safe than sorry.

The poster that said fixed mount with a longer antenna is one that I would certainly agree with. Having it as high as possible, will give you the greatest range.

Have fun.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:37 pm 
Walleye

Cell phones have basically taken over from VHS radio's and licences have always been a tax grab. In the day the radio's were used for ship to shore phone calls and they were expensive and often unnecessary. The radio's were always a great way to have 50 people in your boat so that you had somebody to talk to when the fishing was slow and it provided entertainment for your charter customer's. To avoid sharing information some guys would run 2 radios and transmit on one channel and receive on another. It was a lot more fun than cell phones.

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:22 am 
Walleye Angler

Good post jimdoglk

I have also seen both radios and cell phones in use at the same time, but do seem to see radio's as a staple. Heck, even I have one, although most places I go have no one to talk to, primarily being mountainous terrain. On the ocean or when I am home (and fishing the Great Lakes), I regard it as an item that I like to have on hand.

banner ad
banner ad