Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2024 2:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Trout / Salmon in BOQ.
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:08 pm 
Minnow

I know we're all about walleye here , I am too. Got a couple @ Bonnet Sunday night. But I never really go for Salmon or Trout , and I'm not really familiar with their patterns. I hear they come into the boq about this time of year ....Salmon to spawn and trout follow for the eggs or something. So , can any of you fine gents give me a few pointers on how to catch some trout or salmon in boq in fall please? Where and when I guess are my main questions....I assume you just cast or troll spinner or spoon. I'm near Deseronto , with good boat . I see nets in Napanee River ....they there for Salmon/trout in fall? (I despise those nets).
I was thinking maybe mouth of Salmon River , but any comment would be appreciated !

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:05 pm 
Walleye Catcher

Salmon do spawn or attempt to spawn in the BOQ Tributaries. They start alot later than rivers in Lake Ontario, not sure why that is. If you check at the end of Sept or better yet, middle of Oct, you should see some coming up. Trout will follow in the late fall depending on the river.

Napanee, Moira and Salmon Rivers will all have fish. The best bet is the Trent though, this is due to the fact that this is a larger river with enough water volume for them to hold in the pools. Most of the smaller rivers are almost dry, so you won't see much there, if you do, you will see 50 people huddled over a couple of frightened fish in a small pool.

The Trent holds good numbers of fish + you will catch a better variety of fish. I have personally caught Chinook, coho, pinks, Lake trout, browns, white fish and lots of rainbows. This will depend on the water temp, rain and water levels.

Large rapala's for salmon, spoons for browns and lakers, spawn for late season rainbows.

Or just drive west to one of the Lake Ontario tribs, you will do much better.

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:30 am 
Walleye Wisdom

I'm also interested in info on fishing the tribs around Lake O in the boat this time of year. I do a lot of fishing from shore, never tried in the boat though so if anyone has any suggestions, I'd appreciate it as well.

Cheers

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:11 pm 
Walleye Master

The best steelhead fishing at Port Hope is while everyone is deer hunting. I had a charter buddy that would take two weeks of his holidays the first 2 weeks of November and do 2 charters a day. That was back in the 80s but I would assume the same holds true today. Probably just not as many steelies as back then.

25 to 35 fow in front of the pierheads.

Later
Al

Captain - Team ATOMMIK/Rockets

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:19 pm 
Goby

hello.... glad i found this forum... trying to find more places to fish adn this seems like the place to ask... so my first question is can someone give us a heads up when the salmon start running in belleville Moira river.... i try and get down as often as i can this time a yr but i get busy..... would really appreciate it and if i notice them i will definately post it asap. thnx Jay

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:03 pm 
Walleye

In the Rivers from Deseronto to Kingston have trout and Salomon near then and in Division 18 trout is open all year! egg patterns are good and minnow patterns are to!!

Glen Dayton http://www.tyritecustomflyshop.webs.com/
phone # 613-970-3385 or Email glenndayton14@gmail.com

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:17 am 
Walleye Wisdom

anyone seen any runnin the river here in bellevegas yet?

banner ad
banner ad