banner ad

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Mon Sep 23, 2024 4:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:40 pm 
Walleye Angler

Just picked up my boat from our trailer park. I store my sonar units in the trailer when im not using them. Picked up the units and the HDS7 seemed a little wet inside the white plastic cover as it was stored face down cover on. Its prob just condensation water. Pluged the unit in to the boat. powerd up and when very dim? tried to adjust the light level and seen that it was maxed out. turned the unit off and on again. Now it does nothing?? I have heard that there was an issue with them getting wet and having bad seals?

Is there anything I can do to dry it out? Im so pissed off!!!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:58 pm 
Walleye Master

go buy a big box of rice and put it in a box with the rice.. it will suck the moisture out in a couple days, might do the trick and its worth the try.... good luck

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:05 pm 
Walleye Angler

Thanks Grizz. Maybe the fish gods will be good to me tomorrow.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:47 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

If you cant get it going after the rice.... give me a shout theres a couple other things that I've tried in past that work.

Facebook: http://facebook.com/trophywalleye
Twitter: @pbandjcharters

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:02 am 
Site Admin

There was a batch of hds units that were made with bad seals. mine had a bad seal and it let in water and did the same thing as yours. Sent it into lowrance and after a long wait they replaced it. The long wait was because at the time they were on back order, that shouldnt be a problem now.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:24 pm 
Walleye Angler

Well I let it sit overnight in the house and decided to give it a try again today while on the water. It did power up, however the sensitivity on the sonar is very week? Im hoping it still needs to dry out more? Im going to look into sending it to lowrance for a replacement as I dont want this to happen every again. I purchased it in march of 2009.

Funny my LCX25 was stored right beside the HDS and it works fine. Saved the day today for me also.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:40 pm 
Walleye Master

i had problems with my hds-5 in the spring, was out one day in the rain, and the screen went blank, unit was still on, but it wouldnt show any thing other then a black screen.
i called CMC Electronics at 1-800-661-3983, they are lowarance's canadian warranty rep.
they had me try a bunch of things, then said, the unit was screwed, and i could mail it in, it would take like 4 weeks, or i could drive to there office just past toronto, and i could get a new unit on the spot.

if you’re in Canada and have technical issues or are in need of service please contact CMC Electronics at 1-800-661-3983 by phone or by email at navcommsales@cmcelectronics.ca. Any products returned for service must be accompanied by a Return Authorization number. Please have your proof of purchase and serial number of your unit handy prior to contacting your CMC representative for any warranty related issues. Hours of operation by phone are Monday to Friday 8:30-4:30 Eastern time.
http://www.lowrance.com/Support/Service-Information/

banner ad
banner ad