Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:56 pm
banner ad

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Sunday report
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 9:55 am 
Site Admin

Hot Sauce (Ken from Louissana) was kind enough to take my father-inlaw and I out for what might well be our last kick at the cat.
Our original plan was to launch in Picton harbour hoping someone had broke the ice before us but as we came down the hill and could see the harbour and the ice, we decided to skip right by and go to plan B .. Merland Park launch. However the ice had beat us there aswell so we went on to plan C .. Glenora marine. we arrived there just in time to meet skeet544 (I hope you did well) . We launched the boat but the engine was frozen and the battery just didnt have enough juice to turn it over. We put the boat back on the trailer and promptly got stuck pulling out. Fortunately for us another crew stopped to launch and gave us a push.
We were able to get the engine started with a boost and went on to plan D ..Cross the ferry and launch.
The launch was in good shape but we did have to wait a bit as a lund was having problems at the launch. The problem was his trailer was frozen to the hull and as such the trailer was actually floating with the boat in the water. They got the boat out and 5 of us rocked the boat trying to break the seal but to no avail. They could do nothing but drive back to richmond hill (what a drag)
By this time it is close to 10am and I had to be back in Belleville by 3 for the kids Xmas party but finally we are fishing.
The fish were hot as we went 14/18. At one point we had a triple header with one rod flatlining, a second rod running with snap weights and a third on the planer board. We also had a few double headers. Most of the fish came on the storm thunder stick firetiger at 100ft back but also the hj with 1 0z snap and the clown colored rouge spoonbill.
Really a great day for 4 hrs. Met Tizfun pulling out who had engine problems. Tizfun one thing that HotSauce (he was the silent one being deaf) wanted to tell you was at one point we were in the same area and he thought your boat was trolling pretty fast. He was trolling at 0.5 mph. Hopes this helps.

Last edited by DanElliot on Mon Dec 08, 2003 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 10:46 am 
Dan, Great report.. You're right , we were trolling quick.. To quick and I knew that.. !! This was the only speed we could do.. any less it kept stalling out.. This was very frustrating, but we did manage to hook into 1 fish which was on the plus side.. Better than sitting around at home..

Those guys from Richmond Hill tried in vain to get the boat and the trailer to come apart.. they tried eveything you could think of.. I think if they left the boat in the water for a bit, they would have separated...

We'll get them next year..

Tizfun

Post subject: I thought the same thing
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 10:59 am 
Site Admin

I thought the same thing about leaving it in the water.
I said to the guys I was with they should of put the straps back on at the transom and bow then just unhook it from the was carrying the trailer. LOL

Post subject: Frozen Boat
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 11:42 am 
Had the same problem a couple of years ago with Targa2, the boat was frozen to the bunks. Took it to the powerwash in Picton and hammered it with the high pressure wash and quickly made the run back to the launch and it did work! Just thought you should know!

Post subject: sunday report
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 5:35 pm 
That's all she wrote!
Looks like Sunday was the last day for softwater this season.
Tizfun and i were determined to get one last shot at the BOQ.
Didn't get the numbers some of the regulars were pullin in, but we're at least tied with'em in the laughs dept.
Met up with Dan , Iceman and Hot Sauce as they were loadin'er up on the trailer. Smiles were ear to ear. Those boyz reeled in a ton. Thanks for the tips guys, they'll come in handy next year.
Tizfun buddy, get ready for next year, the company's always good.

RRRRReelsmokin

Post subject: Fish On
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 8:15 pm 
Walleye Angler

It was nice to meet you guys. Remember to check the board before you come down. Someone will always help you out. Supposed to warm up Wed. and rain. Maybe we will get out again. If not see you on the hard water.

Leon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 10:50 am 
Walleye Wisdom

tizfun wrote:
Dan, Great report.. You're right , we were trolling quick.. To quick and I knew that.. !! This was the only speed we could do.. any less it kept stalling out.. This was very frustrating, but we did manage to hook into 1 fish which was on the plus side.. Better than sitting around at home..

Those guys from Richmond Hill tried in vain to get the boat and the trailer to come apart.. they tried eveything you could think of.. I think if they left the boat in the water for a bit, they would have separated...

We'll get them next year..

Tizfun

Hey tizfun, try one or two drift bags...slow you right down. I ordered 2 from the USA couple years ago. Work like a charm. ...Goddluck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 7:23 pm 
Perch

Great report Dan,we also made it out last Sunday but we didnt quite catch as many as you!!! I did catch my biggest for this year at 13.5 lbs( on a deep thunder stick rainbow colour). Was hoping to get out this Sunday but i just saw super dads pictures.Think i might just drive down anyway who knows it might be open :) Thanks and fish on !!

Post subject: Drift Bags
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 7:04 am 
Just read a comment about using a drift bag to slow you down, I am a big believer in the slow troll / drift for wealleye and find the commercial drift bags too expensve, a cheaper alternative that works is using the bag that you order your topsoil in. I think they charged me $5 or $10 deposit on the bag that I was supposed to return and get this money back but thought what the heck this could be quickly modified (punched a couple holes in it, trimmed the cover flaps), works very well. Also heard of guys using the large carry bags from IKEA, I think they cost $2 each, they also make a great fish carry bag.

Pugsli

Post subject: Sunday Report
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 1:40 pm 
Goby

Dan,

I have been trying to track down a couple of those storm thunderstick lures, for next year. Not too much luck though. the only ones i found had small lips on em. When you showed me the lure you guys were using (at the dock), i could have swore that it had a fair sized lip on it. some more info on this lure would be appreciated.

Rrreelsmokin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 6:04 pm 
Guppy

Any of you guys used pink plastic worms to catch steelhead up in Canada?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 11:38 pm 
Walleye

Pauky wrote:
Any of you guys used pink plastic worms to catch steelhead up in Canada?

Hey Pauky, I'm always interested in new techniques, at least ones I have not heard of trying. I personally have not used pink plastic worms other than for bass. Have you tried them? If so, how long are you talkin about? I got the 7" ones right beside me on the shelf. If they work, I will no doubt try it out the next nice day I have here for bows.

Post subject: CTC
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 9:00 am 
I got them in Canadian Tire in Belleville

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 9:40 am 
Guppy

Tech,

Those worms are not the kind I'm talking about. Here is a picture and a description of what they are. I finally found some and still need to try them for steelhead.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 11:11 am 
Walleye

Thanks Pauky, I'll have to keep an eye out for that bait. Hopefully, I can find them around these parts.
Have you found whether guys using them rig them on a jig/bucktail or a plain hook, or both?

banner ad