Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 5:54 am
banner ad

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: This Weekend
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:47 am 
Baitfish

I am planning to come down Friday morning and am looking for a little help.

1. Is the gap the space between Amherst Island and the point east of Picton? If so, should I be trolling all around between those spots, or between the point and the north shore or between Amherst Island and the north shore

2. Am I better off to launch in Bath at the public launch? It is a much shorter run to the Gap, or am I better to launch at the ferry and troll toward the Gap. If so, which shore should I troll?

3. Where is the Bat Cave?

4. should I be considering trolling west from the ferry and around the point?

5. are there unmarked shoals around there that could eat my lower unit?

Thank you very much.

Millsy

Post subject: Re: This Weekend
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:58 am 
Baitfish

did some board hunting and figured where the Bat Cave was, still other info would be helpful, thanks

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:10 am 
Walleye Master

no unmarked shoals...

i'd suggest launching in picton or the ferry...as the gap can be a tough crossing in the wrong winds...

we didn't fish the gap and found walleye....

i'm sure they are all over.

hope this helps. ... go get 'em!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:50 pm 
Walleye Master

agree with Steve, depending on your rig it can be a bad crossing from one side of gap to the other in any variation of a south wind. I have a 17ft princecraft with a 115 on the back and it was 20 minutes from picton harbour to prinyers cove which is pretty close to the gap. Its probably still atleast 10 mins from bath launch so not that big of a difference and then your sheltered from most winds. theres fish all over the eastern end of the reach but depends on the school as to whether theyre eating or not as they are deep still. Have fun and good luck

https://kingstonsportfishing.ca/

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:21 pm 
Walleye

launch options:
Wind sort of dictates where you launch, boat size and where you stay. Also 2 lines each east of the ferry.
1.Ferry launch is good if not a strong west or sw wind. (ferry is free ride with your boat)
2.Bath or Finkle park is 12mi to the old light (cole pt i think) on the north shore (start fishing there). We only use Finkle in late Dec as a last resort (ice in the bay)
3. Park on north side of Pryners is good chose if wind from the south or light. You can also fish off here north or south side or the gap.
4. Park west of ferry -Mcfarlands is ok but tricky (may need waders if dock is out).
5. Shermans point (you can stay at perfect view up the road). (no dock, can beach to load)
6. Picton harbour. long run to go past the ferry.
fee at picton and sherman.
Shoals are marked with buoys inside the bay and at the gap.
Dont forget the fishing nets -run from shore out to a yellow plastic bottle usually. (east of ferry).
Gap fishing. -others may comment?
good luck
bill

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:13 pm 
Baitfish

thanks very much folks. I have a 19ft Princecraft deck boat with a 135 on it. Winds are supposed to be light Friday morning out of the north west, so it looks like the ferry is my best bet. I am coming from Sydenham, just north of Kingston.
we don't have riggers or planers so it is flat lining with Rapala deep runners and shad x-raps and hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:56 am 
Walleye Wisdom

Try a couple of Reef Runners 800 series as well. Trannyman posted a report from Sunday that lists some colors that were working for him. I caught my first 2 fall walleye a few years back used a Bare Naked Reef Runner.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:36 pm 
Minnow

You should also take note that the grate at the ferry launch has "collapsed" (for lack of a better word) a couple of inches, which can make it difficult to pull a boat out of that size; depending on your ride. There was one for sure that was trapped this weekend but, thanks to a helpfull crowd at ferry line, were able to get some assistance to get over the lip.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:19 pm 
Baitfish

thanks, do you mean at the deep end, or at the shore end? I have an F150 4WD.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:30 pm 
Minnow

It goes from pavement to concrete to steel grate. The problem is where the grate meets the concrete. Position of vehicle when loading trailer puts front tires right at the lip. You should be okay though I would think.....

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:45 pm 
Walleye

my 150 4fd has no problem in 4wd.
Fishing you my need drop wts from 1 to 3 oz if fish are deep or 5-6 leadcore with your deep divers (5 ft per colour).
Caution. Fish from too deep will have expanded bladders and cant swim back down and almost all quinte fishers practice catch and release of large fish over a few pounds.
Get side planners if you continue to fish quinte. see other posting for local sources of boards.
good luck.
bill

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:01 pm 
Baitfish

my boat is not one that is suited well to trolling. I bought rod holders today but I'm having a hard time finding a spot to mount them. Downriggers and planers are going to be a nightmare. Thank you all for all the assistance, you guys are great.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:02 pm 
Walleye Master

best of luck millsrj, i'll be out sunday if all goes well. No need for downriggers unless you're hittin salmon or trout on the big lake. The for the most part will be in top 50 ft of water and can be reached with weights or dipsey divers or just deep diving cranks. They'll likely not live if you pull them up from below 30 ft anyways so be prepared to keep what you catch, hopefully not a big girl.

https://kingstonsportfishing.ca/

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:50 pm 
Walleye Master

millsrj wrote:
my boat is not one that is suited well to trolling. I bought rod holders today but I'm having a hard time finding a spot to mount them. Downriggers and planers are going to be a nightmare. Thank you all for all the assistance, you guys are great.

I had a hard time finding a spot for rod holders too. (16' aluminum) I ended up mounting them on the transom, one on each side of the motor. I've only used them a dozen times or so, but so far so good. No problem with planer boards. The rods kinda stick up in the air, so I can flatline underneath them with the 2 people holding the rods. 4 lines in the water with 2 people. Maybe sounds a little weird LOL, but it works.

Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:02 pm 
Baitfish

got them mounted ok at the back of the boat. Should work well there actually because they would be outside the camper top if I need to put it up to get out of the wind. I'll take some pics of my fish tomorrow and post 'em :roll:

thanks again

banner ad