Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 1:47 pm
banner ad

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
 Post subject: The Walleye Won!
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:46 pm 
Walleye

Hello All...I joined this forum last week and this is my first post. I must say I have enjoyed the reads and info provided.

I first want to apologize to everyone fishing Thursday,Friday and Saturday that were skunked. It was me who made the trek from Muskoka aboard my boat the kids have affectinately named Walleye Won and for good reason. This is my 5th annual trek to the Bay and each year it's the same old story for me, contributions to the local economy with little to show for my efforts save and except this heart stopper thinking my luck had changed until it showed it face.
Attachment:
15.2 Sheephead.jpg

It did tip my scales at just over 15lbs...and thankfully my wife and kids don't know the difference between a Sheephead and a Walleye and I wasn't about to clarify. I will not be eating Crow once again. We did manage a 3lb Walleye within the first hour on Thursday giving us optimistic hope but all that was eventually dashed when we loaded the boat to come back homer Saturday afternoon.

I got hooked on Walleye Fishing as a result of the Bay way back in the 70's and 80's when dragging Wally Divers anywhere on the Bay would produce especially up the Reach. Moved away in the 90's but the Bay has always lured me back. Just not sure what I am doing so differently today than everyone else that produces the catch. My trusted Wally Divers no longer work to the extent they once did and I have to think the Zebra Mussels have done thier work driving them deep.

Stacey at Pro Tackle rigged me up with all the necessary tackle, trolled endlessly up and down the Gap east of the ferry and it was his last minute pick of a spinner harness off my down rigger that finally gave us a feed. I mostly practice fish CPR(catch,photo and release) however one must catch to implement the other 2!

My fishing buddy even accused me of having the fish finder on "simulation"! Imagine that but I double checked.

I see most are using the in-line planner boards and I run mine off a mast with release clips...could this be the secret I ask?

Ran lines anywhere from 75 to 250ft...fished in 40 to 120+ft of water, used my trolling motor at .8-1.2 and my 40hp at everything above..still zip!

I did however find a new shoal out there...I call it Sobey's Shoal in downtown Picton and the fish come out already filleted.

Next time I come back (and I will be back) I will have to employ one of the local charters just to prove that my luck can change.

This time the Walleye definately Won.

Good luck with the rest of the Fall fellas...and be safe!

Steve
from Muskoka

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: The Walleye Won!
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:07 pm 
Walleye Angler

great first post

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:31 pm 
Walleye Master

Hey Steve an excellent first post man! Welcome to the board and good luck in your future trips down. One hint maybe you should try to schedule yourself for late Nov. versus Oct. your percentages will increase greatly. Besides from most reports the past week has been slow even for the best of them out there.

[b][color=#00BFFF]Radioworld[/color
Proud Member Of CLOSA
Proud Member of LOTSA
MC Rockets
Atommik Tournament Flies
ITO Flies

The World is all about ass, you either kick it or lick it

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:54 pm 
Walleye

Thanks for the tips and friendly welcome fellas...BigGene may have me convinced to come back down for another go later this month...had I not been fishing on the Bay this past week/end I am convinced the reports may have been different for everyone...unfortunately for me my boat is cabin-less making it a tad frosty but the thoughts of good size walleye can always take the chill off.

Steve
from Muskoka

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:24 pm 
Walleye Master

Loved the post buddy, for a first its a keeper, and sure hope it wont be your last. made me smile, chuckle, cringe, laugh, and shake my head. and all I can say is . THATS FISHING lol....... many good guys out there this weekend and they also struggled so you definatly wernt alone. sounds like you tried many things and on a different day any one of them may or might have worked just fine, and maybe your next trip out they will do just that for you, its always nice when you hit on the perfect set up right off the bat but if only it was that easy..... as Big Gene mentioned as a rule the later it gets the better it gets out there. put in the time, and time will be good to you im sure. good luck in the future, Grizz

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:08 pm 
Walleye Master

Nice post Steve, welcome to the forum!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:38 pm 
Walleye

Keep trying Steve.......Wood lake and I had that issue for many trips. I would watch some guys landing fish and me nothing.
Now when I head up that way, I get Walleye's. I am from Bracebridge so I understand the learning curve when fishing a new water.

Safe Fishing First,
Jack

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:40 pm 
Walleye Master

welcome! it was a tough weekend for the eyes. Perhaps they are in "move mode" where they are just on their migration pattern and not stopping to eat just yet. Atleast that what im telling myself when im rocking myself to sleep in the fetal position because they drive me crazy...

https://kingstonsportfishing.ca/

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:47 pm 
Walleye Angler

Nice Post Steve, My first Eye From Quinte in only 2 years trying Cost me Five trips and 400 dollars or greater, I had some company with me a few times out, so the gas bill got split......

Quinte Produced Something for me Everytime, But it felt like My First Eye Was Never gonna come......

The last time Out for me was the most productive with only 4 eyes and a sheepie.
Most guys reading this will say congrats to that, But some are muttering under their Breath, Is that all you got????

There is a chance for Better days out on the Bay, than what i experienced, The one thing that is different from us to allot of thee guys on this board, is that we only get a few times a year to try for Quinte Gold. Where As, most of these guys are hitting Quite nearly Weekly.

I like this board, for all the great fishing stories that are available to be told about.

And the fact that it reminds me, ONE DAY, ONE DAY.... Ill Get mine ;) .......

~Jeremy....

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:03 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Have patience Grasshopper ,when you can snatch a pebble from Grizz,s hand all the walleye secrets will be revealed :lol: great post welcome to the board :D

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:29 pm 
QUINTEFISHING HALL OF FAME MEMBER

Welcome to the board - thanks for sharing your trip to the Reach.

Those sheepshead are really big this year, we hit a couple today that were 12-14lbs, didn't bother weighing, just returned for someone else.

David aka Superdad

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:55 pm 
Walleye Master

Nice Post and keep at it

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:04 am 
Walleye Master

Nice first post. Like Landshark says keep at it. Speed, speed, speed,

I think that was key on the weekend. When we slowed down we started to produce.
I heard that the guys that did really well on the weekend were down around 1.5 mph.

Best of luck
Al

Captain - Team ATOMMIK/Rockets

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:12 am 
Walleye

Wow...I am impressed with the support everyone provides in this forum and I'm glad I joined up. Hopefully I will get a chance to get back down before freeze up and meet some of you fellas out on the water.

One thing I did notice that may have contributed to my lack of success over the 3 days I fished was that when I reluctantly decided to change baits (every hour or so) almost everytime I had small amounts of weeds to remove. I know this was not as a result of scrapping bottom but more so the lines picking up as I trolled along and they eventually worked themselves down the lines and obviously effecting the action of the baits. Vegetation is obviously dying off this time of year and I noticed an awful lot of buildup on my down rigger cables as I moved along...this undoubtebly contributed to my lack of success...if I were a Walleye I think I'd go for meat and forego the salad!

Probably covered in previous threads so I thought I would just add that comment to this post rather than start a new one.

Steve
from Muskoka

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:23 am 
Walleye Wisdom

Steve the response was so good because your post was an excellent one. Welcome to the board!

banner ad