Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 4:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Ice fishing flasher
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:19 pm 
Walleye Master

Hey guys, was thinking of maybe buying an ice flasher, but don't know too much about them. What does the watts peak to peak power mean. I'm assuming the higher the better obviously, but what does it add to the machine?? I've done a little reasearch, and the watts seem to range between 800 and 2400. Any other features I should be looking for?? Don't want top of the line, but don't want bottom either. Any advice would be appreciated.
Will probably be heading down to the Radioworld Ice Fishing seminar in December, and would like to get all the info I can before I purchase anything.

Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Ice fishing flasher
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:49 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

I bought the Hummingbird Ice 45, got it at Radioworld for a good price. Went to the seminar as well 2 years ago and learned a lot, convinced me I needed a Flasher, wanted a Lowrance Ice 67 but they were back ordered for a long time, so if you’re thinking of one put your money down right away. Remember to write down your questions so you don't forget them (I did and had to think on the fly). Middle of the road is good; if you have the extra cash spend it on Lures. A flasher is a must in my opinion, tripled my fish on the ice last year easily, used it on BOQ and Loughbourgh Lake in 110 fow and it worked great, I like the bottom Zoom function. There are 3 big names out there and any one of them is as good as the other, just depends on what you want to pay. I don't think you'll get a better deal then at Radioworld, they usually put a good sale on for the seminar. Good luck

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:24 pm 
Walleye Master

Thanks Tylercurt, was looking at the Ice 45 myself, but noticed the cheaper model actually had more PTP Watts. 2400 compared to 1800. Not sure what it means LOL, so just looking for some info on the specs. I actually saw the Ice 45 at a tackle shop the other day for $90 cheaper than Radioworld. Hard to believe.

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:42 pm 
Walleye Master

my opinion is get the 45 but get the 55 if you can swing it

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:44 pm 
Walleye Master

more power is only a big advantage if you are fishing in deep water, this sends the signol down and back up faster to give you a better reading........... if you are basically fishing in water less than say 100 feet it really dont mean alot.. what is importiant is to understand your gain and how you read acordingly to the settings, if you are in 20 fow you sure dont need your gain turned way up this will give a much two strong signol and will interfere with the screen...... also bottom makes a differance like mud bottom versed hard rock bottom. I say get what you can afford and learn tyo read, understand and work with it......... ive seen guys out there with the top of the line with no clue how to work the darn thing so it really was little good to them..........for the record i use a marcum VX-1 and absolutly love the thingand really see no reason to spend more on a bigger, better one even if mine crapped out i think id just go get another before i spent 250 more .just so i can say i have more color and better seperation lol honistly for the fishing i do i can set mine up to see the swivle, the jig, and the bait so what more do i possibly need ???? other than a big azz red mark come in and smash my lure lol

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:12 pm 
Walleye Master

Ignore everything Griz just told you it was just confuse you and he really has no idea what he is talking about. That is why he is so proud he finally bested me one day on the ice.. Like everything else in life you get what you pay for. Jeff C will be conducting a seminar with the Humminbird flashers at the Radio World show. Go see what ya like what ya need and take it from there.

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:40 pm 
Walleye Master

good advice Mike, Walleye 9 make the trip to Toronto go to the seminars and see exactly how flashers work and then buy what you can afford. You won't find better deals than what Radioworld will have to offer.

[b][color=#00BFFF]Radioworld[/color
Proud Member Of CLOSA
Proud Member of LOTSA
MC Rockets
Atommik Tournament Flies
ITO Flies

The World is all about ass, you either kick it or lick it

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:53 pm 
Walleye Master

LMAO Good info all around, but I'm still trying decide if it's actually worth buying one or not. That's why I don't want to go overboard on the $$$$$ Would like to fish Quinte more often, but I often hesitate due to safety of the ice, and if your only means of transportation is by foot, it limits you to where you can go. Also, the other lake I fish on is very shallow. Don't know if a flasher will benefit me. Anyways, I have a bit of time to think about it.

Thanks again

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:07 pm 
Walleye Master

You should have no doubt that a flasher will help you, no one who has one will tell you different

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:30 pm 
Walleye Master

this last winter i let sharkman beat me 3 days in a row because i didnt have my flasher, and im pretty sure he had fun doing it too

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:40 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Up until last year I had never used a flasher. Like you I was back and forth if it was worth the money and would be of any benefit in the amount of fish I caught. A buddy lent me his extra one to use a couple times and the difference was unbelievable. My success rate increased almost immediately.
You honestly wouldnt believe how many times a fish will come in to your bait and having the flasher allows you to not only see that there is something there but see how it reacts to your presentation and allow you to adjust accordingly. I would recommend taking the advice of the others and go to the ice seminar at Radioworld. Jeff is incredible on the ice and knows flashers as well as anyone I've ever met and I'm sure he"ll gladly answer any questions you have.

FISH HUNTER

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:55 pm 
Walleye Master

FISH HUNTER wrote:
Up until last year I had never used a flasher. Like you I was back and forth if it was worth the money and would be of any benefit in the amount of fish I caught. A buddy lent me his extra one to use a couple times and the difference was unbelievable. My success rate increased almost immediately.
You honestly wouldnt believe how many times a fish will come in to your bait and having the flasher allows you to not only see that there is something there but see how it reacts to your presentation and allow you to adjust accordingly. I would recommend taking the advice of the others and go to the ice seminar at Radioworld. Jeff is incredible on the ice and knows flashers as well as anyone I've ever met and I'm sure he"ll gladly answer any questions you have.

FISH HUNTER

Thanks FH. I went to the seminar last year, and it was great. I bought my boat fishfinder at last years seminar. I will be going again this year. Anyhow, I'll be down late next week for 3 days, and need to get the "fall" monkey off my back, before I think about the hardwater!!!

Fish On!!!

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:15 am 
Walleye

I use a Vexilar 22HD and not only does it triple the fish you ice, it made the slow days bearable.. if you can "see" the fish there you know it is worth the effort to try and get the bite or run and gun.. no fish on the Vex.. next stop!

I used it for crappie on the rideau, splake and specs in some of the back lakes and of course at the BOQ for walleye... The only shortcoming of my Vex is the 100 foot limit... if you fish Lakers alot this might be an issue on some lakes.. in my case I just swap out mine with a buddy's 55:)

I have used the Lowrance and the Hummingbird and frankly they are all very good ( I like the digital depth display and time not on the Vex)... but IMHO I would not fish without one.

You can find them used on the Board here or maybe the Fishhawk board, but act fast and they usually go quick,

Good luck!

C5

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:25 am 
Perch

You can't go wrong with an Ice 55. I got one last year and love it. Easy to read, no interference, and simple to use. I've used it in Cold Lake 70+ fow as well as the bay with no problems. Love it!!

banner ad
banner ad