Trailer Parks
Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Mon Sep 30, 2024 10:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:32 am 
Jumbo Perch

I saw this product in a magazine and I immediately thought of an ice fishing application (in terms of cutting a hole, dropping the transducer in the water to see the depth of the area you are fishing)

I am just getting into ice fishing (second season) and thought it might come in handy; however I don't know how the transducer would react on the hardwater or in the cold weather. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:31 pm 
Walleye Master

I have sat back and resisted any comment but can't any longer. back in the day, when portable fish finders, sounders etc were the rare exception instead of the rule, as now. When I wanted to know the depth and didn't have any of today's fancy technology I simply dropped my lure to the bottom, once there I simply backed away from the hole till the lure was up top and then I would have a reasonable idea of how deep I was fishing, not 100 % but it works.

The most important thing to remember is that the depth may have little consequence to catching fish. The important thing is to find the fish regardless of the depth and then go after them. I recommend you forget the depth wrist watch and save some coin and get yourself a good finder.

[b][color=#00BFFF]Radioworld[/color
Proud Member Of CLOSA
Proud Member of LOTSA
MC Rockets
Atommik Tournament Flies
ITO Flies

The World is all about ass, you either kick it or lick it

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:36 pm 
Walleye

BigGene wrote:
I have sat back and resisted any comment but can't any longer. back in the day, when portable fish finders, sounders etc were the rare exception instead of the rule, as now. When I wanted to know the depth and didn't have any of today's fancy technology I simply dropped my lure to the bottom, once there I simply backed away from the hole till the lure was up top and then I would have a reasonable idea of how deep I was fishing, not 100 % but it works.

The most important thing to remember is that the depth may have little consequence to catching fish. The important thing is to find the fish regardless of the depth and then go after them. I recommend you forget the depth wrist watch and save some coin and get yourself a good finder.

big gene being an oldtimer i can sure relate to that lol.. when flashers first came out we took one to a lake we ice fished for white fish..... we knew there was a deep trench not far from shore but was trial hole, after hole to find it.... we used the flasher in summer and found the hole then we headed to shore in various places along the trench.. at each landing we attached an eye bolt into a tree, and attached a line to it and using a compass headed back out till we found the trench.. we then cut the line and added a tag to it for each tree we used..had five lines in all lol..so we would just get there attach proper line to tree and using the compass heading we had wrote down walk out to end of line and drill a hole.....it is so much more simpler today..sometimes i wish they would ban all finders and younger fella's would have t work and learn waters.... ahhhhh well this new electronics really helps us old farts also

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:41 pm 
Walleye Angler

KVD, probably the most accomplished fisherman ever, has always been years ahead with respect to fishing technology. Technology, used right, will catch you more fish. If you have a system that you can better with the use of a watch – give’r!

Be mindful of some of the basics that you won’t have with a 99$ wrist watch …..no gps, no grey scale. But what I find cool, is that you could monitor multiple holes wirelessly from the comfort of your hut; buy one for each arm! The manual for the humminbird watch contains no warning of low temps (only high temps).

Take my hard water ‘advice’ with a grain of salt…. it’s my opinion that ice is for hockey and rum…..thats IT! I am curious what some of the real ice guys will say.

http://store.humminbird.com/products/341324/RF35?alt=3

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:33 am 
Jumbo Perch

Thanks for the feedback guys.

As a newbie (last year was my first time on the hard water) I do not want to go out and buy an expensive finder; although I am sure it would get plenty of use for years to come.

For now I will focus on catching my first Quinte walleye on the hard water.

banner ad
banner ad