Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Tue Oct 01, 2024 6:28 am
banner ad

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Cold Front
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:59 pm 
Baitfish

Hey guys, I am thinking of heading out tomorrow morning but with this cold front coming in, I'm not sure if the fish are going to be hitting or go lockjaw. But then again, I don't have much experience fishing quinte in the fall, but was planning on trolling long reach and then go to jigging at thompsons if nothing happens trolling. Do you think its worth going out tomorrow with the cold front or wait till the weather warms up abit.? Thank guys. I've tried to look back on earlier posts but couldn't find any reports about cold fronts.

Post subject: Re: Cold Front
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:15 pm 
Walleye Master

This morning on Lindners Angling Edge, (WFN) they actually said cold fronts in the fall may actually help. The drop in temperature makes the fish think winter is approaching, and may start to feed.
And if anybody knows, it's gotta be Al!!!!!!!!! LOL

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:41 pm 
Walleye Master

I am assuming Lidner is talking about shallow bodies of water and fish that are shallow suspended. Probably not the lower Bay of Quinte. A cold front is usually a high pressure area coming in to replace a low that is leaving. In shallow bodies of water like West lake, East Lake, upper Bay of Quinte from Desoronto to Trenton it would probably have some affect on the eyes. Low pressure & high pressure changes can make fish put on the feed bag, especially low pressures coming in with big drops. These pressure changes are very slight but still will affect fish behavior.

But these changes will have little affect on deep fish like the eyes in the lower Bay below 35 feet. Below 34' atmospheric pressure is double and below 68 feet it is tripled, so a little change in the atmospheric pressure at these depths have little or no effect on the fish.

Usually with an east wind, a low pressure is coming in. Some times great fishing, sometimes not. I think the biggest variable on Quinte eyes is sunlight and baitfish. When the sun starts to get bright about 9:30 now, the 5 cores go in and then later longer cores and copper sections. I like to get about a 1/4 mile away from the big schools of bait fish. Intercept those hungry eyes coming in for lunch.

It would take one hell of a cold spell to drop Quinte to make a difference. It has taken 4 weeks to drop the temp from 58 F to 46 F .

I prefer overcast days to get those upper fish energized.

Hope this helps.
Al

Captain - Team ATOMMIK/Rockets

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:51 pm 
Walleye Angler

Good and accurate info Trannyman1
Grillzy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:25 pm 
Walleye Master

Good read Al. I've done a bit of reading on how Barometric pressure effects fishing, and it seems a low, or dropping barometer is better. A high barometer puts pressure on the water, and can make the fish stand still. Of course, these are all theorys. Some say the pressure of the air doesn't match the pressure of the water, and will not penetrate, therefore a high barometer means nothing. But, it makes sense a high barometer should have more effect in shallow vs. deep water. Weather and barometer also go hand in hand, because a high barometer means clear and sunny skies, and low means cloudy. So once again, low would be better for feeding time.

Anyways, for guys that can pick and choose their days for fishing may have an advantage, based on weather, but if you're planning a trip ahead of time, you get what you get. LOL

Love reading your posts Al.....Keep em coming!!!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:25 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Trannyman1 wrote:
It would take one hell of a cold spell to drop Quinte to make a difference. It has taken 4 weeks to drop the temp from 58 F to 46 F .

I prefer overcast days to get those upper fish energized.

Hope this helps.
Al

And hopefully another 3 weeks to go from 46F to 32F (Sorry had to)...