Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:03 pm
banner ad

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 12:05 pm 
Hello, I know it is not fishing Quinte region, just curious and looking for any info from those who have ice fished Southern Shores of Nippissing. A few of us are heading up 3rd weekend of January ( new location to try ) Looking for any advice, stories, or tips. Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 1:17 pm 
Are you staying at one of the lodges in Callander bay on the south shore?
Waltonian Inn takes you out to a reef that can be good Walleye fishing near first ice.Sunset cove resort takes you to a different reef which I have only been to once without a lot of action, but could have been an off time to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 3:43 pm 
Hey C/K thanks for the repsonse. We are staying at Cozy Cove Cottages. By the look of the map, it appears it would be about 15-20 min drive by car to Callendar bay. A reef you mentioned, that could be of use. I know the cottage owner will run us out via snowmobile. If you have any more info, or are familiar with our area that would be great.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 4:27 pm 
You can always call The Waltonian and they will rent you a hut and take you out.Its aprox 3-5 miles out.Its always nice to have a hut to go into on a blustery Nippissing day.Sorry I don't have their number handy. You can do a search on the web.They also have a bar with good food!

Post subject: fihing lake nippissing
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 7:52 am 
We fish the lake about five times a year, twice in the Winter. both times we fish out of the narows between Calander Bay and the main lake, in a hut, very close to shore in about 13 ft of water. The fishing is always good, and like most waters can turn on and off very quickly. a word of advice, listen to the locals, dont bother with all your fancy tip ups and expensive rods, use the stadard Nipissing tip ups that your operator usualy provides, or simply a spool of line, small jig head and live minnow, two or three inches of the bottom, use the tip of your finger for detecting the bite. Right after sun rise for a couple of hours and from 3pm till dusk are the best times. Havent had any luck after dark. Great to catch Pike, Pickerel , Perch, Whitefish, Herring, burbot (even the odd salmon), all out of the same hole.

Now I,m ready...will be leaving for Nipi in five weeks one day and 11 hours...but who the hells counting!!!!

Post subject: Nippissing
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 8:52 am 
Waltonian used to have a deal for meals, accomadations and transportation to and from the huts with bait and tackle. The food and service was always great and fishing was average but a great place to go for a weekend or during the week.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 10:53 am 
Thanks for the info and tips C/K, Nipikiller, and Dennis-much appreciated. Just want to enjoy a weekend away. As the saying goes, rather be skunked fishing than a day at work. Thanks again guys-cheers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 2:55 pm 
Walleye Angler

My friend Steve has helped organize a group of guys who heading up there to stay in the ice condos and fish all weekend out on the ice. I was a first timer last year and we had a great time. Unfortunately, I can't remember the name of our outfitter, but we caught quite a few walleye, pike and perch. Look forward to being back up there again Jan 9 - 11th.

banner ad