Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:54 am
banner ad

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 6:44 pm 
Walleye

Hi guys

Made it out on the bay today, We could not launch at the ferry due to 4" of ice :cry: , but we were able to put in at Adolpustown :lol: We broke ice from Adolphustown to the Ferry, (1/4") buy the time we got to the Ferry there was quite a bit of open water ! We were marking lods of fish from 70' to about 20' . We tryed using the down riggers , draging repala fire tiger deep diver on one rigger and a clown repala on the other ,experimented all different dephs to no availe :cry: :cry: On the up side there were about 5 other boats all getting fish on planner boards three guys from Oshawa had doubles on , a 12 t0 15 lbs and a 6 to 8lbs were caught and released :D The weather was great and as the day went on the more the water opened up , we were about 200 yards from the red marker bouy and could go the other way all the way down to the gap and futher If the mild spell holds on for a couple of more days (till saturday) I'll be back next saturday to start the 2004 season off 8O

Hey Ken keep in touch maybe we can hook up and go this coming saturday :D :D :D :D :D

Big-O(Phil)<!!!><

Post subject: kenmore
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 9:34 pm 
Walleye Catcher

Phil I have to ask-you are from Kenmore-do you work for Sears?????
I'm bored what can i say!!...Larry

banner ad
 Post subject: ADOLPHUSTOWN LAUNCH
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 9:38 pm 
BIG O, THANKS FOR THE UPDATE. ARE YOU MAKING REFERENCE TO THE BOAT LAUNCH AT THE CONSERVATION AREA? WHAT WERE THE CONDITIONS AND HAD ALOT OF ICE SHIFTED WITH THE SOUTH WIND WE HAD TODAY?
THANKS

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 11:20 pm 
Big-O,

Thanks for the post...I'm already in Belleville for the night, hoping to get out tomorrow. Thought that I would log in to see if Pass the Pistons Pete caught anything today...but he hasn't posted yet, probably still driving home...

Any chance on someone posting directions to the Adulphus Town ramp - I've never used it before..

Thanks.

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 11:39 pm 
Walleye Fingerling

Pete just called me and they went 5 for 7 (I think that is what he said) but it was not awesome (he is really IN to awesome....living on the edge etc., he is off to explore some frightening cave in Virginia next week!).

Me....I went with my son to join the other 70 boats on the Niagara Bar in 13 deg weather and mild southerly winds. Every boat seemed to catch lots of fish, it was amazing. My son nailed a 10.8 laker before I had put down the electric on the first drift and then he tried to emulate it for the rest of the day. Got to return tomorrow, just too good to quit for the winter....what winter? Forecast for next Saturday is rain and + 11! Got to love it.

Good fishing.

banner ad
 Post subject: Niagara Bar
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 9:57 am 
Hi Neil,

I live in Burlington and have seen several posts referring to the Niagara Bar, where exactly is this and where the best place to launch a boat from? With th emild weather I was thinkign of takign the tarp off the boat and heading to BOQ but a few boards have mentioned the Niagara Bar as being quite hot right now. Any info would be appreciated, thanks.

Pugsli

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 10:33 am 
Goby

The Niagara Bar is a high, sandy ridge located just out from the Niagara river in lake Ontario. Just buy a decent hydrographic map of that portion of the lake and you will find it. It's about 20 feet deep on top of the bar, and about 80 feet deep surrounding.

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 11:08 am 
Walleye Angler

Big-o,

sorry you weren't able to hook into any 'eyes :evil: I'm off all this week and just may make a trip up to test out all of my new equipment! Larry, is there a lot of snow on the ground? If there is, I probably won't be able to get my boat out of the resort. If you're bored Larry, we can always go for a fish :wink:

Ken

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 4:49 pm 
Walleye

Hi guys

Hey Ken thats why they call it fishing and not catching :D evan if we did'nt catch any fish, it was a great day on the water for Dec. 28 8O Planner boards seem to be the ticket right now!! The humming from the down rigger cables and that 10 lbs weight seems to spook the fish :cry: The guys from Oshawa were useing Manns + 25's I did'nt see what color they on :evil: and of course planner boards they caught there fish on the lake side of the Ferry!!

Stickman
yes , that is the launch we used , and when we launched (9:00am) there was 1/4 inch ice out for about 1000 yards and about a 1/4 mile of thin ice to the ferry, buy the end of the day for us(3:00pm) the ice had all move to the first point past the Adolphustown launch we ran wide open from the ferry to the launch with no ice :lol: :lol:

Larry, ............I wish, the Money I have spent there over the years I should be a partner :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Big-O(Phil)<!!!!><

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 5:03 pm 
Walleye Fingerling

Pugsli, you know where the Bar is now. As for launches, on the Canadian side there is only one, at Queenston. Take the last exit off the 405 just before the tolls, left at the stop, follow it for a couple of miles to Queenston and turn right at the white church which you will see on your right side. Follow that road to the end and you will be there. Just got back from another day there and we caught 12 between the two of us, all between 8 and 11 pounds, it was a blast. Three way rig, two foot dropper to a "slinky", 4 ft leader to a number 6 octopus hook and 5 inch Finesse fish did the trick. Forecast is good for this next weekend, maybe we will see you there. Cheers!

banner ad
 Post subject: Like, I'm back, eh?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 5:40 pm 
Walleye Angler

{Dr. Piton logs onto the computer to find his identity has returned. How about that...}

I wish to report that the preposterous myth is true. We did indeed go "5 fer 7", all in the 8 to 12 lb range, with the exception of one 18.9-incher measured the traditional way to the fork in his tail.

We arrived mid-morning, and rode the ferry eastward from the Picton side. While on board, one of the operators knocked on our van window, and told us that the ramp on the east side of the ferry was frozen solid. What the ......? The good news was that three other boats and trailers had crossed that morning, and none had returned, so he assumed [correctly] that they had put in at the park in Adolphustown.

Despite there not being a scrap of ice anywhere near the ferry, the boat ramp was solidly iced. Not a hope. However we had earlier spotted from the ferry an intrepid duo loading their green car-topper from the beach here. Feeling a bit trepidacious, we headed for our last possible option.

We continued on another mile and a half or so to the town of Adolphustown, and turned right to enter the park, which used to be a St. Lawrence Parks Commission park - not sure what it is now. The place was closed for the winter, but not gated, and the boat ramp is actually quite superb! Much less steep than at Picton, and facing south towards what sunshine there might be. In the parking area there were three vehicles with empty boat trailers - an excellent sign. Whew!

We launched and then crunched our way southward through perhaps a half-inch of ice, following the path cut by the three boats ahead of us. We had to do the ice-breaker bit for about a quarter-mile until we reached the open water, whence we were able to cruise full speed down towards the ferry.

We set up with the complete smorgassbord - side planer, downrigger, and deep divers on flatlines. We were marking a few fish here and there, but nothing even remotely resembling the scads of fish we marked on our Killer Day of December 3rd when we caught 20. The weather was amazingly mild, actually warm in the sunshine.

Things started off slowly, until a huge walleye nearly ripped the rod out of my dad's hands and woke us both up. [Those familiar with his usual fishing technique might be surprised to learn the rod actually was in his hands!] At any rate, he was flatlining his #9 Silver Shad Rap - the one he got his 15 pound BFW on. First blood! My dad kissed his lure, and no - the teethmarks aren't his.

Next off was the clown-coloured Husky Jerk deep diver - fish on! Ho-hum, another 12-pounder.

Things slowed down a bit, so we started mixing up the lures and trying different stuff. The deep diving Fire Tiger Husky Jerk that kicked ass last time didn't get us a hit.

"Have we tried the Picton Special yet?" asked my dad, meaning the yellowy-chartreuse jointed Fastrac with the pink diamonds on its side, the most unlikely looking walleye lure of all time, yet with the motht teethmarkth of any lure in the bokth. [Gadth, I'm lithping again. Hide me from Michael Jackthon letht he get any ideath.] Instead I grabbed the Fastrac with the G-finish, or rather the Fastrac that used to have the greyish-silver G-finish before it got all bit off, and threw that onto the downrigger. Every time we'd mark a few fish, I'd change the depth of the ball, all to no avail.

Meanwhile the side planer went off, wobbling drunkenly through the water. Somehow the #9 silver Shad Rap got put onto that, and we heaved in another hawg.

The first couple fish were on the north-east side maybe a half-mile down from the ferry, but we started picking them up a bit later on the south-west side in front of the yellow house, just down from the ferry. As we pulled in towards shore - there's quite the steep dropoff here - it looked as though I had gone too shallow since the cannonball on the downrigger was bouncing along the bottom. The depth was about 65' but the cannonball was at 35'. What the .....? I dove for the rod - fish on!

"Well, how about that," I remarked. "We've caught one fish on each of the four rods."

By now it was getting late, and the skim ice was beginning to form on this now deeply-shaded shoreline. We had to put our rod tips under the water to prevent the Fireline from collecting big gobs of ice down its length. The side-planer - all covered in ice - managed to nab the fifth, though my dad and I both lost hits when we had the rods in our hands. My dad's fish was on a good ten seconds before it mysteriously let go.

It started to get dark, and the fish shut down. Why is this? In times past, it was just the opposite - we'd kill 'em after dark. The whole fishery is changing, I'll tell ya. Times were we'd catch 'em all evening long in Picton Harbour, but no longer. Anyway, we headed back and luckily found the ramp in the dark, first try. Good thing. We had to crunch through slightly thicker ice, but it wasn't too bad. It was impossible to see in the dark where the other boats had gone before us.

So there ya have it! Right now The Weather Network Picton Forecast is calling for cooler temps during the week, but mild again next weekend. I'll be caving in Kentucky [not Virginia, though it might be frightening!] so won't be able to get out. Then again, maybe we should head for the Niagara Bar instead. It sounded like Neil had a kick-ass day!

Cheers, beers, and brassieres,

Pete

Epilogue: Here's something to consider. My dad and I had fun - we had an "OK" day - not stellar, but certainly worth the drive to enjoy what might be our last kick at the cat. But just how spoiled are we, if we think that five fish weighing darn near 50 pounds is merely "OK"?!

banner ad
 Post subject: weather
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 7:57 am 
Walleye Catcher

Ken there is no snow in the area. As i write it is very wet -it rained all night. The forecast is for above 0 temperatures daytime. 7 degrees for saturday. You should be able to get your boat out no problem.
Th Napanee river is almost wide open....Larry

banner ad
banner ad