Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Sat Sep 28, 2024 6:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Quinte Lake Trout
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:02 am 
Guppy

Hey guys ,

First time post on this forum. Up until this morning I had never thought of catching a Lake trout in the BOQ. I read a report and that got me wondering if anybody specificly targets Lakers in the bay or they are so rare that its just a fluke? I would like to target them through the ice if there is anywhere possible to do so !

John

Post subject: Re: Quinte Lake Trout
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:46 am 
Walleye Master

funny thing about the bay is you just never know whats in there since its connected to Lake O on both ends,,,,,,, and most people do target the eyes, and bass for the most part . but im sure it has it all thru different times of the year...... if you just read Superdads post you will see he was out in the gap this puts him pretty much at the mouth of Lake O and they definatly catch lakers out that way are they worth targeting them ? humm im sure there is much better laker waters so most will go to thouse places first if thats what they want to catch. you hear of very few lakers being cough inside or west of the ferry but they do get the odd ones now and then but usually not what they were targeting. i must admit Superdad seems to catch more trout than just about anyone who posts on this board durring softwater time over the years ive seen him post rainbow catches , must be the program he runs as much as anything....... mst run the reef runners. and tail dancers and i myself have never heard or seen a post where someone cought a trout using thouse baits , then again i dont know of anyone who has good into world class walleye waters and ran a lake trout program lol ......... i think one day Me and Al got ahold of the lock ness monster. lol who knows maybe it was a 25 pound laker .

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:04 am 
Walleye Master

The trout for the most part are out in the deeper water that doesn't ice up well enough to ice fish. There is the odd fish in shallow.

Here is a brown I got this year near glenora on a Mann's stretch 20+.

Sent from my GT-I9100M using Tapatalk

West Lake Willows offers 8 cottages and camping at the doorstep of the famous Sandbanks on West Lake.

www.bayofquintecharters.com, www.pictonharbourinn.com, www.westlakewillows.com

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:56 am 
Walleye Master

I'll find the photo of my taildancer caught Laker....

As Griz said, you never know.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:57 am 
Walleye Master

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:45 am 
Jumbo Perch

I've caught several Lakers and a few Rainbows over the years. Most of the trout I have caught have been late in the year mid December

Dan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:56 am 
Baitfish

Lots of those marks down 60 to 80 feet are possibly lake trout. Whitefish also, I would think. They clump kind of loosley in pods and usually show up where the bottom changes, near or at the base of slopes etc. Definitely very similar to the marks I see on Georgian Bay (release about 350-375 a season depending on how early we can get boat in and how late ice stays good). On BOQ they seem to stay deep. Other places I fish in cold water, a bait only needs to be 24 to 36" down to catch trout, and often very big ones. It's unusual that with masses of guys trolling baits slowly (my experience is that lake trout like slow all year, salmon/rainbow faster) in that 15-25' range more aren't caught all fall. We mark lots of large, deep feed there that's got to be 10-14" herring and I guess the trout stay locked on them down there with no real need to feed 'up' like walleyes will do at various times during a day. Further north where I fish mostly, if the water's below about 55deg and you pull a crankbait behind a board over open water you will be replacing the hooks and probably the whole lure by the end of the wknd. Lake trout really like that type of set-up and are not shy about hitting it at there level or shooting up 20-50' to grab it. Cold water removes their temperature limitations and that upper 50% of the screen is normally a high-action zone. It's funny that those marks on BOQ don't come up to get our baits. If the are lake trout, they're pretty content and well-fed down there. If somebody worked a vertical bait within four or five feet of them, maybe they'd fill the boat. Who knows? If they are whitefish, they can be a lot more aggressive and willing to chase than guys realize, but not as aggressive as lake trout are on average, in my experience. Maybe that's why more of those marks aren't put in the net..they could be whitefish. Whatever those marks are, they're probably mid-range on the foodchain and help grow some greasy, heavy walleyes. Very high-quality feed options for those fish!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:33 pm 
Walleye Angler

Hi Seabass
look into the mouth area of millhaven creek west of kingston east of bath (amherst island ferry) ice conditions might not even form this year but soft water is excellent for lakers,bows and browns right through dec. (this is a mnr stocked fishery). bows and browns will stage at the opening of the river mouth and lakers will not enter river, and will stay on the flats.
cheers gordo

banner ad