Trailer Parks
Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Wed Sep 25, 2024 2:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:48 pm 
QUINTEFISHING HALL OF FAME MEMBER

After our visit to Finkles Park on Saturday, Laker John and I were ready to go on Sunday. Picked up the boat at Hay Bay and headed for Bath and the ramp. Arr'd to see one boat setting off westward!!!!

We launched and headed west also, the NW wind wasn't a problem, we motored past the duck hunters on the point and began to troll, just west of the lighthouse. We set four lures at different depths and headed towards the ferry. There wasn't the ice that we had seen on Saturday. On Saturday, the ice stretched to nearly the lighthouse and the fishing was east of that.

We trolled several miles marking some fish. We met the boat that we had seen at the launch and they were circling the area just west of Keith Shoal, speaking of which, here's a shot of Keith Shoal.

I took some pictures to show that we had fished on Jan 8th, 2012. This was better than the 6th of Jan in 2007 when we fought some really severe winds. This picture shows the water and winds looking toward the ferry.

As we trolled by the ice at Keith Shoal green buoy, we noticed the water temp was 32.6 degs F. We were marking fish in the 60-70-80 foot depths and weren't seeing anything above that depth. Made us think that the fish were at their comfort level, temperature wise and didn't appear to be ready to move up and grab our lures.

We took off and headed east and began to fish just east of the lighthouse in a little shallower water, we ran some small lures towards the shore and larger lures in the deep water direction. Suddenly, the insode board fired and we had a fish on, as I reeled in there was a huge swirl in the water where the lure would be and then nothing............In fact the CC Shad was cut off----Probably MR Pike.

We set up the back up rod and got the lure out, Trolled further and decided that we weren't doing the right thing and felt we should fish closer to the Gap. As I was reeling the outer inside board, the rod bent and board disappeared under water, FISH ON!!!!!!!!!!! Laker John got the board off and grabbed the net as I reeled in the fish. Suddenly,we could see the white of its belly - Mr Pike again. This time he was hooked to a Fingerling with two BIG trebles. John scooped and the fish was ours. A really nice sized fish.

The first fish of 2012................

We headed east and began to fish closer to the gap with some smaller lures, CC Shads and Flicker Shads. With the wind changing direction,we had a real quiet period and it was almost like fishing in early spring or late fall. It was really nice with the sun beating down on us.

Out of the blue one of the boards in the deeper water fired and Laker John was into a fish, still a 100 feet to go after the board was off and the fish fought like crazy. John skillfully brought the fish up and into the net, she was ours....

The first walleye of 2012....................

We weren't skunked after two fish landed. Trolling along after resetting the line with the fire-tiger Flicker Shad, we were both satisfied with the results, when that board fired again and this time the board went sideways and under water............. I reeled the fish closer to the boat and John slipped the net under a really nice Lake Trout.............

We weighed the fish and it tipped the scales at 9.0lbs. That's the biggest Lake Trout I've ever caught - Hey a Personl Best - Great Stuff!!!!!

Our confidence was high and spirits bright, when a board fired again, this time the fish let go before we got the board off. That makes us 3 for 5 - not a bad average for the first fishing of 2012.

We decided to call it it a day at 1445 and headed back to ramp and the shore.

Laker John has caught fish in that area in the past and was keen to fish there, I had only fished deep water with down-riggers and never saw a fish. His confidence in the area has rubbed off on me and now I'm a believer of that area.

I hope everyone enjoys my story about soft-water fishing in January in South-eastern Ontario.

Stay Tuned - the weather is showing temps still in the plus levels - never can tell when we'll hit the water again.

David aka Superdad

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:13 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Beauty of a laker!!
Another great report as always, thanks for sharing.

FISH HUNTER

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:07 pm 
Walleye

Pike, walleye and lake trout all in the same day. Great outing and what a way to start the 2012 fishing season, nice pictures too.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:06 am 
Walleye Wisdom

awesome report David, some nice fish there guys!!!!!!

email:ed_mackenzie_2009@hotmail.com

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:17 am 
Jumbo Perch

Great report Superdad! Nice variety of fish you guys caught there too. And given the balmy temps expected this week, I fully expect to read another report from you and Laker John in the coming days!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:25 am 
Walleye Angler

Looks like a great day on the water.....congrats on the PB!

Lakers are one of my favourite fish to catch, even if you aren't targeting them.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:24 am 
Walleye Master

David, congrats to you and Laker John, a great first outing for 2012!

[b][color=#00BFFF]Radioworld[/color
Proud Member Of CLOSA
Proud Member of LOTSA
MC Rockets
Atommik Tournament Flies
ITO Flies

The World is all about ass, you either kick it or lick it

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:36 am 
Walleye

Great report and congrats for starting off 2012 with a new PB - appears 2012 is already shaping up to be a GREAT YEAR.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:05 am 
Walleye Master

Great report superdad!

Did you run the flickershads and cc shads clean? No wieght? How long were your leads?

The reason I ask is I'm curious how high those fish were. I have played fishing shallow out there and in fact this year did very well with a lure down only 12' even over 150 fow. Nice mixed bag. I want to get the boat out bad.

Scott

Sent from my GT-I9100M using Tapatalk

West Lake Willows offers 8 cottages and camping at the doorstep of the famous Sandbanks on West Lake.

www.bayofquintecharters.com, www.pictonharbourinn.com, www.westlakewillows.com

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:20 am 
Walleye Master

so freaking jealous!

love it!

sitting here at work - scratching my head.....

why want the ice to come when those are available! amazing.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:52 am 
Walleye Master

lol.. go back to work Steve yer married with a new house lol ............... nice job SD with a guy like laker john on the boat it only seems natural to me you would put a laker in the boat sooner or later lol .....

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:50 am 
Walleye Angler

Wow what a great day and post! Congratulations. Glad you guys had such good weather and could enjoy it. Hard day to top! The fish gods were smiling on you that day. May they come to visit you again soon! bayboy and baygirl

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:08 am 
Walleye Angler

Good fishing, good catching, good pictures!!

And thanks for the great report. I needed that.

Maple

Maple

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:36 am 
Walleye

admire the tenacity! great report!

C5

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:53 am 
Walleye Wisdom

WoW Great work lakerjohn and superdad ! A great selection of species indeed, great report and pictures as always! Can't wait for the 2012 reports to roll in :D Take Care.

Aadil :mrgreen: