Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Mon Sep 23, 2024 5:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Scugog Ice Fishing
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:08 am 
Walleye Master

Just wondering if anyone could tell me where you can access the ice by foot/truck near Goreski's or West shore Marina.

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Scugog Ice Fishing
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:16 am 
Walleye Master

I know you can walk on at West Shore Marina, but I don't think you're allowed to park on the side of the road.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:38 am 
Baitfish

You can walk off stephenson point rd, thats the road you turn off island rd to goreskis but instead of turning right to goreskis, just keep on going straight and the road bents to the left and you cant miss it. You'll see people parked on the side of the road. You can also walk off goreskis, they charge 10 bucks to park in the parking lot. Another spot is spring rd, its like second or third left off island rd and its just down the road. You won't see the lake but walk the snowmoblie trail and it takes you to the lake. Its only 2 min walk onto the ice.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:37 am 
Baitfish

Ya the whole lake is skim over right now. I think we should have enough ice to walk on for opener. Just haveto be careful where your walking since there springs in the lake.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:48 am 
Baitfish

Theres a spring that goes from ceasarea to washburn island. Theres couple open spots on ceasarea side but thats the biggest part of the lake. I always put my hut on that side of the lake but closer to view lake/ birch island. Lots of crappie up that way.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:03 pm 
Walleye Master

Thanks bigeye!! There's a nice stretch of 10-20 fow right down the middle between Goreski's and West Shore Marina. Was wanting to give that a go this winter. I usually go off the end of Island Road. There's lots of parking, and you can drive on there if you want, but the water is pretty shallow. I don't have a sled, so I either have to walk, or drive out, but like you said, between Ceasarea and Washburn Island you have to be careful. Up near the river, I would imagine there would be some current to. Don't want to take my truck out around there. LOL

Thanks Again

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:44 pm 
Baitfish

The key is to find green weeds, and also if you can, try to find some drop-offs. I fish a spot off spring rd that goes from 4 fow to 9 fow and cought alot of fish off that drop. For ice-fishing scugog, u just haveto think outside of the box because its a city out there and theres alot of pressure on the fish.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:02 pm 
Walleye Master

Hopefully by next year, I'll have Navionics or a GPS for the ice so I can "see" where I'm going. Until then, I'll be looking at depth charts, and drilling alot of holes, to find depths. I'm familiar with the water depths by boat, but when you're walking on ice and snow, there's alot of wasted time finding spots.

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:43 am 
Baitfish

I find that for the first 2 weeks, the eyes are shallow, have cought them in 4 fow off pine point. But after that, I go searching trying to find 6-8 fow with green weeds. Were we put our hut , we are in 11 fow and just catch mostly crappie with the odd walleye. You can never go wrong outfront of goreskis but theres also couple spots right in port perry that I'm goin to try this ice season. Found a spot just off a red buoy in port perry thats 7-9 fow but I just hope theres some good weeds around the area. If you guys ever did a extra guy to go with ya to scugog, just send me a pm and i'll be more then happy to come along plus I live 10 mins from the lake and is one of the main lakes that I fish.

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:34 am 
Minnow

skim of ice on the lake right now but with the mild weather and rain you can kiss it goodbye. i will let you know if it stays overnight.

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:10 pm 
Walleye Master

bogger wrote:
skim of ice on the lake right now but with the mild weather and rain you can kiss it goodbye. i will let you know if it stays overnight.

Hey bogger.. let us know tomorrow night if there's ice any left!!! After tomorrow if there's any left, it might be good to go New Year's Day!!

Thanks

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:08 pm 
Minnow

the lake is still covered with ice! the cold nights must be helping. keeping my fingers crossed for safe ice for new years day. last year i was fishing for crappie by now on 8 inches of ice.....

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 6:09 pm 
Baitfish

Attachment:
404762_10151096242720319_831180318_22545102_1919209660_n.jpg
Hey guys, this pic was taken yesterday off Cesearea pier and everything was frozen. Drove over to Port Perry and everything was frozen as far as I can see. Its a good sign for opener but I'm not sure how thick the ice is, but I would not trust it right now. Merry Christmas everyone

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 6:54 pm 
Walleye Master

Thanks for the update bigeye. Was looking at the long range forecast. There's going to be a few cold nights next week.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 9:56 pm 
Baitfish

I was talking to dave, he owns causeway bait and tackle shop in Port Perry and he said infront of goreskis there 1 1/2 inches of ice, and he also told me that there was one guy that went out of view lake, by birch island and he got alot of crappies, now he wasn't sure of how thick the ice was there but I would still wait till theres a good 4 inches of ice.

banner ad
banner ad