Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 3:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Jigging Technique
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:24 pm 
Walleye Fingerling

Just wondering if there is some special technique to jigging through the ice?? This is my second year fishing in Hay Bay, and can't seem to catch one, while everyone around me is. I mark lots with my flasher, but can't get them to even hit. I've been using buck shot spoons and the williams spoons, tipped with 1 or 3 minnows in all direction. I don't jig hard, because the minnows fall off, but is that what I am doing wrong?? Is it a slow jig up, control drop, or what????? I've spent all night looking for videos on youtube, but couldn't find anything. Any tips would be appreciated, as the wife is starting to complain that I waste my time because I come home empty handed, and is starting to question if I really do go fishing.

If you don't want to give up any secrets on a public board, a PM would be appreciated. I will be heading out to Hay Bay (from old hay bay church) late tomorrow morning, around 10, if anyone wants to meet up and show me. In exchange, I can take you out on my boat in the spring. Thanks for any help!

Post subject: Re: Jigging Technique
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:38 pm 
Walleye

I usually jig up a foot or foot and a half and let it free fall then 3 or 4 short 5 or six inch jigs then another big one. My jig never stops moving, once i mark a fish i use little short wrist jigs and slowly raise the fish up keeping the jig slightly above his head with suttle movment and will usually strike. if it turns away i will jig fast and furious and 9 time outta 10 it will come back and give u another chance to work it.

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:20 pm 
Walleye

I also ALWAYS run a stinger hook, not only does it help you hook a light bighter but prevents as many lost minnows. As long as you rig it so your minnow remains straight it doesnt affect the action. Another tip is to run the hook from the back of the skull threw the bottome and I find that the bard has a much harder time coming back threw the softer tissue. Hope this helps.

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:23 pm 
Walleye Fingerling

Thanks!! Will try it. But your first jig up a foot or so, is that fast or slow?? Thanks again!!

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:37 pm 
Baitfish

Hook your minnows through the back of the head first, this keeps them from falling off and allows for more aggressive jigging.

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:51 am 
Walleye

Fairly fast. everyone has there own technique but my logic is to jig fairly fast to draw them in then once you mark them you can slow down.

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:23 am 
Walleye Master

When using the flasher the fish will tell you what they want. Pay close attention to detail and what triggers them. Big lazy lifts? Big agressive snaps? Short lil jiggles? side to side motions? There is no substitute for experience and if you keep at it you will be able to read them.

banner ad
banner ad